Eminence Speaker has introduced three advanced high-power additions........

• Members

I would be interested to read Andy's view as to what, (if anything here), makes any significant difference technically regarding performance inprovements to these new woofers.

Eminence Speaker has introduced three advanced high-power additions to the Professional Series: the Impero 12A, 15A, and 18A.

Italian for

• Members

I will get some hands on time with them at NAMM.

I wish I could share the details of a heavy duty engineering discussion I had regarding the practical improvements to ceramic speaker design, but if you read Jerry's press release, some of these specific items mentioned are included in these new speakers. I will see if I can get into this topic more without disclosing propriatary engineering stuff...

IMO, in order to support >1000 watts RMS reliably over any extended period of time without mechanical degredation, a dual spider style of suspension is going to be necessary. Let's see if this is indeed the case.

Oh, the sanded edge... that was our design twist about 7 or 8 years ago. Now it will be included on a stock speaker.

• Members

hand-built

I'm curious what this means.

I hand built some cables today... very involved... very exacting details... hours and hours under a magnifying glass and good light with the right tools and supplies... and then testing for assured performance under real world applications before sending them out.

Ok... that was a few hours today... Currently I'm helping to hand-built dinner by assisting in cutting the top off-a bag of frozen processed industrial veggies and slunking them into a bowl to nuke them. Liz is also helping to hand-built dinner by peeling spuds that we grew in our garden.

There's distictively two different types of hand-built dinners currently progressing in our domicile.

• Members

Note that these are likely to be very heavy drivers in spite of some of the lightening techniques being used. It wouldn't surprise me if the 18" driver came in around 35 lbs and the 12" driver around 30 lbs. The are also not likely to be useful for horn loaded subs, my understanding is that they will be targeted for vented box applications.

• Members

Would it be possible to put these in a small, front-loaded enclosure like an EV S-18 and expect to greatly increase performance?

Thanks,

MG

Depends on the parameters they ended up with. Probably not a huge improvement given the cost and the weight gain. My hunch is that these are targeted for a box between 6 and 12 cubic feet.

• Members

Note that these are likely to be very heavy drivers in spite of some of the lightening techniques being used. It wouldn't surprise me if the 18" driver came in around 35 lbs and the 12" driver around 30 lbs. The are also not likely to be useful for horn loaded subs, my understanding is that they will be targeted for vented box applications.

Wonder if that 18" would be a suitable replacement for fried Acoustic 301 bass cabinets. (Wish I had kept mine.) Might not go high enough to replace that Cerwin Vega driver. (It's not like anyone needs 1000 watt efficient drivers onstage. All that load is handled by the PA anyway.) I don't see this type of bass guitar cabinet anymore. Don't think it's because of the size. (Most dual 18" sub cabinets are larger.) Just wondering why not.

• Members

Wonder if that 18" would be a suitable replacement for fried Acoustic 301 bass cabinets. (Wish I had kept mine.) Might not go high enough to replace that Cerwin Vega driver. (It's not like anyone needs 1000 watt efficient drivers onstage. All that load is handled by the PA anyway.) I don't see this type of bass guitar cabinet anymore. Don't think it's because of the size. (Most dual 18" sub cabinets are larger.) Just wondering why not.

Don't think so for a variety of reasons including likely voicing. In order to achieve certain performance specifications, others are compromised.

I probably have something suitable sitting on my overflowing shelves looking for a home. The CV drivers were quite stiff, high Fs, and used an aluminum bobbin (not a bonus IMO). If used in a front loaded cabinet, the LF perfeomance (for sub use) was pretty poor. How many do you need? Do you still have the CV drivers? I can get really nice upgraded recone parts for most of the 3" VC models, and the cost of reconing is not all that high.

Archived