Led Zeppelin to Face Trial Over 'Stairway to Heaven'

• Members

I posted a question on Pianoworld - the classical section. Someone suggested this piece. Luckily it has the musical script which visually shows harmonic movement. Some may disagree, but I would say it has the chromatic descent beginning from the root of D minor. There are other examples of this harmonic progression: (the introduction to) Michelle by the Beatles, My Funny Valentine (Rodgers and Hart?), In A Sentimental Mood (Duke Ellington), More (than the greatest love the world has known - the B section).

[video=youtube;4T3rWyEuiLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T3rWyEuiLI

• Members

I don't recall if the concept of style/genre has been discussed in this whole thing. But the thought came to me that what seems to be at play here may be stylistic elements vs melodic/harmonic/rhythmic content.

Seems to me if the current logic had been in play in the past, many new styles may never have come into being. The first guy who released a boogie woogie piano recording, would have sued because his concept of an "8 to the bar" left handed pattern was being plagiarized. The James Bond theme song progression along with that chordal pattern (ascending chromatic 5th over a minor chord) would have been plagiarized. Development of new styles couldn't have happened because of worry over lawsuits.

Legalistics may come to kill development of new, emerging styles. According to the definitions below, Maybe David Gilmour could sue someone for bending strings in a certain musical setting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copied from a google search on "style vs genre"

A "genre" is the word for a categorization, so rock music, progressive rock, etc are all genres. Think of a genre as a label.

A "style" is what you call a specific element of the music. For instance, David Gilmour's guitar playingstyle is melodic with lots of string bends.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I just became aware of this as a "thing". Line Cliche. I have no earthly idea why it's named this. But it's a label for a chord with an ascending/or descending note within it. It's easier to show, which this YT tutorial does.

But this Line Cliche device covers Stairway To Heaven, James Bond and many other songs.

[video=youtube;WbA1ycyITX4]

Archived