Mic the amp or run a line out to the board ??

• Members

VERY loaded question. It really depends on the gear and the user. We go direct and emulated. Many mic their amps. There probably is no preferred method except the method you prefer. As a sound guy I prefer either high quality emulation or a mix of mic/direct. As a bassist, and an old one at that, I prefer high quality emulation because it is quicker to set up and tear down and it saves my back. In the old days I would never consider giving up my SVT.

If you are talking straight out of a non-emulating amp like a Line 6, I'd mic the cab unless you can get the sound you need out of the direct connection. A mix of miced and direct usually works good if you trust the sound guy. It really depends on your amp and the FOH system you use. Listen out from to figure out which is best for you.

• Members

Depends on the amp. If it has a good sounding speaker/cabinet,,, then mic'ing is a no-brainer,,, but,, if it sounds like crap,,,, go direct, Also, if stage-noise is an issue, going direct will help.

A buddy of mine, has a little Line6 "Jam" combo-amp. He brought it to band practice, and although it was fun to noodle around with,,, it just sounded bad. Just for kicks, I told my buddy we'll take a line-iut, and go to the PA. With the very first chord on his guitar, he had that "deer-in-the-headlights" stare,,,,,,jaw dropped,,,eyes as big as saucers. It sounded freakin' incredible.

• Members
What is the better/preferred method ? To mic the guitar amp, or to just run a line out of the amp and to the mixer ? I have not yet done either and was wondering what is the best way.

Thanks

I always use the line-outs on my guitar amps if they are cab-voiced and sound good.

• Members

You can have good results either way. Mic is cheaper. Direct has some pro's to it when you sit on our side of console, but it isn't cheap to do it right. A good Palmer can easily cost as much as many amps. As you spend less the outcome is more iffy. Good DIs are important, and also expensive.

Side story: When I started out I bought a handful of name brand but cheap DI's ($30-40 each.) A few months into doing this, one of the musicians asked me something that made me think. "You spend $2-300 on a good microphone for the singers voice. Why do you spend $30 on my bass?" That was sobering. I bought a handful of Radials. They are not cheap, but no more than a mic for the same instrument. Don't buy a $30 DI and think it replaces that esoteric microphone that sounds like angels on the guitar cab. It usually won't.

• Members

You can have good results either way. Mic is cheaper.

Not if the amp has a (good) speaker emulated balanced DI out. I've designed a few amps w/ balanced emulated DI out and when all things are considered (bleed, common mics, lack of stage space, knocked over mic stand, drummer accidents etc.) I think it may be a toss-up for many applications. There are times where a mic is the "best" way to go, I'm not arguing this, but for many gigs any potential quality difference is just too buried to worry about.

• Members

I use the line out. A lot of amps are doing a pretty decent job with an emulated line out these days. It's easier.

I did some recording recently where we miced my amp and sent the line out signal to the board, then blended both sounds. It sounded really good. The miced sound was a little brighter, but both tones were good and very usable.

• Members

Not if the amp has a (good) speaker emulated balanced DI out.

Have never run across one that sounded good, but I live in a world of Fenders and Marshalls, not much else. If the amp has a good DI I would use it, but if you have neither and are starting from scratch, a good mic is cheaper than a good cabinet simulator/DI.

Personally I always like it when my regular band does the DI thing, but then again I only have one amp on their stage and everything else is direct so it just sounds more cohesive out front.

• Members

Thanks for all the input guys. My amp has a "pre-amp out" jack. I will try both ways to see what difference there is. I was planning on using a mic, but if it works and sounds good to go direct, then that might be the easier way to go. I will try both and let you know.

Thanks again for all the help. This forum is a great resource for people like me asking questions !

Archived