Mains for my new PA.

• Members

Not sure what is difficult about powered speakers: Mixer -> sub -> top done; uses XLR cables for signal and the usual IEC or Powercon for AC. No crossovers needed (if your tops or subs have built-in hi-pass), no amps to carry, no processing required. I do not even own a power amp any longer.

• Members

While they are a great value (especially on clearance prices) I wouldn't purchase or recommend any piece of gear based solely on financial value. I would however buy a pair of these in a heartbeat if I had a need for more. They really are a sweet sounding box, very smooth, great vocal projection/clarity, coverage is very nice, and incredibly little eq massaging required right out of the box (IME in the venue I use them).

EDIT: Because of projection and sound field, they are not my favorite floor wedge in a confined space of typical small club. I'd imagine they would work quite well on a 20x20 or larger stage, just a hunch though.

Ah

• Members

Well, if I were in your shoes, if I could find a pair of MRX512s or EV SX300Es used I'd run them off one side of that GX-5 and run the MRX518 off the other. It could be by far the cheapest option, since you probably won't get a lot for your gear.

• Members

Well, if I were in your shoes, if I could find a pair of MRX512s or EV SX300Es used I'd run them off one side of that GX-5 and run the MRX518 off the other. It could be by far the cheapest option, since you probably won't get a lot for your gear.

They have MRX512Ms, $699 each.

I am looking at the PRXs though...

just a tough thing to decide.

• Members

At $699 for MRXs, PRXs are a no-brainer. When you run into deals like I recently did for practically-brand-new EV SX300Es with covers for $600 for a pair, it's another story altogether. I really don't see how JBL is still selling the MRXs for almost the same price as the PRX line, but they have recently cut the MRX prices in some stores.

• Members

I have never noticed any problems with that. I have frequently had each side on a different circuit.

Thanks so much...

The power cords is what's got my head screwed up, I have this mental block about it and don't want to deal with them. It's just so simple to plug in the power amps and just send out the speaker cables, but so many are using them with no issues, it's silly of me to be intimidated by them.

I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of RCF ART 312a speakers for mains and mons, and I've gotta get electricity to all this. Man, sounds like a pain.

What gauge electrical cords would you use under various circumstances? Minimum?

How many of these can be run off of one circuit?

• Members

My PRX 600 series speakers have a maximum draw of 600 watts each (with a 5 amp fuse). If you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit, no problem with 4 speakers (2 tops, 2 subs). In practical use, you are not likely to draw a full 20 amps with all four going, even when things are cranked up. I'm using the example of four speakers, just in case you add a second sub at some point in the future. Most commercial circuits are 20 amps; thereJ are some that are only 15 amps. Even residential breakers are usually 20 amps.

A single 12 AWG cord of not more than 50' should be adequate for four speakers. If you are running two speakers a side, a 14 AWG cord will be OK for up to 50'. A couple of 25' and a couple 50' 12 AWG extension cords should give you a lot of flexibility. I primarily have 12 AWG cords, but I do have some 25' 14 AWG cords. The NEC may specify 12 AWG for some portable cord applications on stage, but I'm not an expert on the subject (or even a licensed electrician). Others who regularly comment are, however.

Depending on where you play, you may not have the exclusive use of a circuit. YMMV. Mark C.

• Members

Ideal situation would be a multi-outlet cable that you could toss along front of stage. If you're running three monitors across the front, just space out the cable so that there's a female power plug where they need to be, and then plug each unit into that.

We run two circuits with our rig; FOH left is on one, FOH right is on the other. The monitors are plugged into whichever one is closest.

Powered systems are likely going to be more efficient (use less power from the wall) than passive systems would be anyway; I don't know what cable loss contributes down a Speakon cable but it can't be completely negligible.

• Members

On a PRX,612 I would expect the average power to be around 2 amps per box and unless you are driving them hard into limiting I would expect ~3 amps to be the practical maximum from an AC circuit perspective.

For 2 boxes per side I don't see anything wrong with 14 gauge. Even 3 or 4 boxes may be entirely adequate.

Yes, there is a little loss in a Speakon cable, but the fact that the powered boxes are biamped overcomes the chief loss of the passive box... the low pass crossover. INO, the better powered boxes are best for most applications.,

• Members

Every JBL PRX 612 I have ever seen or read about is the 612M. It can orient vertically as a main or top box, or be laid horizontally as a monitor. Last time I looked on the JBL website that was what was shown, too. I suspect that comments about a "PRX 612" really mean PRX 612M. Mark C.

Archived