Seeking good schematic help please.

AlamoJoe

• Members

I'll try to be brief. I recently bought a "Loaded" pickguard online with a hummer at the bridge and two single coils middle and neck. I literally got this for cheap. It was to have three EMG pickups. But they are all EMG Select, which..Is not the same thing.Also, the pots looked rather cheap as well. But the pickguard was in very good shape.

Anyway, I thought what the heck. I'd been wanting to mod my '81 Strat for years. So I routed out the bridge pickup cavity after carefully removing and unsoldering my original pickguard and components, thinking reversal wouldn't be that much of an issue. Soldered it in and all the pickups are hot all the time. I'm thinking the cheap 5 way switch is the issue.

So now I'm thinking, why not just remove my good wiring harness, pots and switch out of my original pickguard and transplant that. It's all original except for the bottom tone pot which I replaced with a push/pull model so I could throw the neck and bridge pickups on at the same time. (A Dan Armstrong schematic was used).

But NOW I'm thinking..I have a '80's vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion Humbucker, and a new DiMarzio ToneZ Minihumbucker that I never put in. So I'm thinking I should maybe put the DiMarzio Hummer in the bridge position, and use the Push/Pull pot as a coil tap. Put the Minihummer in at the neck(No routing required), and put in a Mini toggle as a coil tap for it. And maybe just reuse the Fender Mid pickup. I'm never going to sell this guitar so resale is not an issue for me.

So any help to be had with a schematic fellows? With the exception of the push.pull tone pot the pots and switch are all Fender MIA standards.

Thanx in advance?

• Members
Have you tried the selects yet?

I have them a set of selects in my Steinberger and they aren't bad pickups at all. They can use a little extra gain from a pedal to boost the output but they aren't bad for tone.

Actually I haven't been able to get them to work yet because of the cheesy wiring. But I read so many bad reviews on them after I saw "Select" on them I'd kind of written them off. Given that you like them though I'm having second thoughts. You're quite knowledgeable about pickups and tone and I value your opinion. The Dimarzio Super though, I had it in my Les Paul and loved it. Took it out when it came time to sell the Les.

Archived