General-purpose mics.

• Members

Yeah... me again. :o

I have to replace some mics for stage use that are gone.

I know I can't replace the drum mics for what I paid, and I'll need various instrument mics, and possibly/hopefully for a conga/percussion kit I put together that I'd like to find room for on the stage.

I don't want to cheap out anywhere, but I have a lot of stuff to buy and if I can cut a corner where it would make no appreciable difference, I'd like to.

Orange County Speakers seems to have some extremely well reviewed wannabe 57s and 58s, and I was considering them.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=37-206x10&Category_Code=microphones

Thoughts or advice?

• Members

I don't know if you are looking for drum mics, but I saw several lots of new EV PL33/PL35 5 mic sets on e-bay. Not as good a price as the GC blowout recently, but not too bad, plus a mic case Abzurd thought was worth $50.

Take a read through the "I'm a self-confessed [mic] junkie" thread for more discussion. Mark C.

• Members

Marko,

What happened to your PL series mics? Did they just poop-out and die on you, or did they get whacked with a drum-stick, a lil' too often?

The band and my gear kinda went bye-bye in the same night. Got the trailer back, and now putting together a new/better PA and band.

Be happy you missed the whole ugly story. :)

• Members

I use SM-57's as general purpose mics.

Same here they can handle just about any thing you throw at them and still have a manageable sound on the mixer.

Even seen them used as a BU singer's mic once. I had use my spare once for a kick mic since the D6 took a dump on us during a gig.

I like mine for snare side micing, and guitar cab micing.

• Members

I like SM57's on back-up vocals also; especially where you have that traditional stage-side group of three BU vocalists, backing up a lead vocalist.

When it's a band, where several of the members are singing lead from time to time, or harmony,, I'll use SM58's on everybody (or, N/D767A's)

• Members

For instruments I use the EV Cobalt 7 Series , They work very well for me. and they are very affordable too. for the sound and the price it would be worth looking into if you are on a budget. as far as drum mics go i have the audix fusion 4 series , i love those, I have only had to replace the bass drum mic once and that was a couple of years ago , but i had had the whole set for about 4 or 5 years, Those are very affordable as well.

• Members

I personally don't care for 57's on vocals with a few specific exceptions. Too much popping type noise and without a (easily) removeable windscreen they get ugly smelling in short order.

I really don't care for them either, I mean shure is a good company but they IMO&E they are too sensative for me. I used to have a singer and he had a few shure singing mics and everyone that he had did nothing but sqealed every time he got a good volume that he liked and everyone was comfortable with ,and mine was a EV ND267A and never sqealed but one or twice in about 5 or 6 years. and then i said never would i use shure mics. the only one that i have is a shure PG series for my snare mic. I like that one pretty good . but as soon as i can that one is going to be replaced.

• Members

I really don't care for them either, I mean shure is a good company but they IMO&E they are too sensative for me. I used to have a singer and he had a few shure singing mics and everyone that he had did nothing but sqealed every time he got a good volume that he liked and everyone was comfortable with ,and mine was a EV ND267A and never sqealed but one or twice in about 5 or 6 years. and then i said never would i use shure mics. the only one that i have is a shure PG series for my snare mic. I like that one pretty good . but as soon as i can that one is going to be replaced.

Any mic can produce feedback if applied incorrectly, exactly which Shure's gave you the problem?, where they condensors by chance?. Lot's of opinions on mics but I cannot recall someone being so absolute about a brand. Interesting that you found favor in the PG series when you don't care for their other models.

• Members

Any mic can produce feedback if applied incorrectly, exactly which Shure's gave you the problem?, where they condensors by chance?. Lot's of opinions on mics but I cannot recall someone being so absolute about a brand. Interesting that you found favor in the PG series when you don't care for their other models.

There are low quality Shure models that are horrible, there are also counterfits that are horrible. Could be eithet causing the problems.

• Members

How do you like your N/D267A's? How are they for handling-noise?

oh i love it , it was my personal mic that i used just for me when i played.. the warmness of it was just right for my voice and it did really well the noise handling was good as well, when i picked it up you coukdnt tell weather i had it in my hands or a stand. . i got the one without the on/off switch.

• Members

He had the SM58 and the beta and a wireless beta i think, i know it was a wireless. but some of it was because he didnt know what he wanted in the sound. he would always tinker with the EQ a lot to get it to sound the way he wanted it . It about drove me nuts. he always wanted his monitor so loud because we all played a little loud at times , but it was everytime he plugged it up on either of them it would squeal. bout drove me nuts. I was always under the impression that you could have the monitors as loud as you needed as long as you ring them out and get the feedback low. on my EV , i could turn it as loud as i needed it and it wouldnt even think of feedback. so that's why i said that about them. yeah , the Pg, has never gave me any reason to say that it was a bad mic. I used it this past weekend and it done great . i used it on the snare and it done great.

• Members

So MAYBE it wasn't a "mic problem" after all?

I am sure it's not all the mics fault, but there have been other occasians where they have done the same thing. our praise and worship group all used SM58's for a long time, and i used to do the sound for them at church and it was the same thing , it would squeal like crazy. now i will admit that mics are going to squeal and they need to be sone properly , but to the point that you can't turn it up to get a good setting. the mic could be sitting still on a stand and it would squeal while the person was singing through it. maybe I just dont understand i guess.

• Members

I am sure it's not all the mics fault, but there have been other occasians where they have done the same thing. our praise and worship group all used SM58's for a long time, and i used to do the sound for them at church and it was the same thing , it would squeal like crazy. now i will admit that mics are going to squeal and they need to be sone properly , but to the point that you can't turn it up to get a good setting. the mic could be sitting still on a stand and it would squeal while the person was singing through it. maybe I just dont understand i guess.

I think your church group would benefit from the study of mic placement relative to the speakers. I can't see any reason for an SM58 to be giving you fits unless there are some other issues going on. Best advice on EQ-------if you're not sure how to use it, leave it flat------------and then take the time to learn how to use it. Was/is your church using any compressors or vocal processing,reverb,etc.......................?

Archived