Pick Up Wiring

TRU

• Members

Most pickup companies have detailed diagrams one their websites. Once you pick which pickups to use, go to that company's website and search for diagrams for your pickups and control configuration. Many companies also have some sort of forum with helpful people who can walk you through the process.

• Members

Ok, Harmony Rocket. One pickup? Two? Three? A little info goes a long way.

One and two pickups, easy. A lot of diagrams out there. The three pickup one, the issue is the 4 way switch that allows, N, M, B, all three. Let us know what you have, and we can help you along.

• Members

That is the resistance value in ohms. That seems higher that what I am used to for modern pickups (usually 6-7K for single coils). Also his text says something about humbucker sized mount - make sure that fits the holes in your guitar and that you don't have to do some routing. I saw this thread that said there might be some fit issues

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/replacing-dearmond-pup-on-harmony-rocket.212418/

The original wiring used a 1 meg ohm volume and 250 K ohm tone pot for each pickup, along with an 0.02 micro farad cap on the bridge and 0.1 micro farad cap on the neck (I don't have any idea why they are different, I'm just reading the schematic). You might want to check with your supplier and see if these are appropriate to his pups. You can buy potentiometers at Radio Shack or any of many guitar supply houses - be sure to ask for "audio taper". A convenient place to shop might be StewMac,

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Alpha_Control_Pots.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Ceramic_Caps.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switchcraft_Toggle_Switches.html

The StewMac items shows the diameter of mounting holes and lengths of shafts - make sure they will fit your guitar before ordering them.

A trick for wiring hollow bodied guitars like this is to make a jig with all the holes the correct spacing, mount the pots and switch and wire between them. You then fish everything in thru the f holes and hopefully it all fits.

• Members

Those green tabs are capacitors and you should test them and if necessary replace.

Do you have much experience with soldering? If not I suggest you don't start with a hard project like this. Some pickup companies offer a fully wired harness so you don't have to muck around and end up with cold solder joints etc.

• Members

In his first post he asked for a wiring diagram, which I furnished (btw, all it took was a simple google search, but I already knew about the Harmony Database). I would assume that anyone who asks for a wiring diagram knows how to read it,

Second, this thing has some rather funky values of components and the layout is going to be rather weird - its a hollow body with F holes. I doubt that a premade wiring harness is going to work.

Next, he has already selected his pickups, I'm questioning whether they will fit. I also think he should check with the supplier to make sure he has the correct value of components to work with them.

Testing capacitor is not something the average DIY guy can do. If in doubt just buy new ones - they're cheap. I'd say the same for the pots if they are old and funky.

Lastly, if he doesn't know how to solder or read a wiring diagram it probably makes sense to find someone who does. Its not hard but it will be a PITA if he has to fish out the whole assembly to trouble shoot it.

• Members

Heck, anyone who did much of this could make him a custom harness. If I knew the components he wanted and the exact spacing of the holes in his guitar I could do it. It looks like he has at least some of the original stuff (altho the impression I got from his first post lead me to believe he didn't). Would I reuse the old pieces? - only if I wanted to preserve vintage correctness which isn't an issue here.

Archived