You know what's a bit crappy?

mistersully

• Members

The lack of choices available when buying a new Jazzmaster

I've fallen under their spell... played a troy van leeuwen sig model that played and sounded fantastic.. just not sure of the colour... i still might buy it though

compared to strats etc, there's really not a lot out there... i know the demand isn't there... but still... it's a shame

and with that... a little jazzmaster goodness

jd_Wa-3vVkA

• Members

Wasn't all that long ago that you could either get a real vintage one, an AVRI, or an MIJ and that was it. Now there are like 4 or 5 sig models, modern player, blacktop, Squier plus the ones they had before. The Jazzmaster will probably never be as popular as the Strat, but it's a particularly good time to be JM fan, if you ask me. Does it have to be new? You can still find MIJ ones for relatively cheap that make great modding platforms. There are some great manufacturers making aftermarket upgrade parts too.

• Moderators

I just bought my son a J Mascis, as the guy I got it off couldn't get on with the look, vibrato, and the jack was screwed.

Lifted the golod anodised pickguard off last nigh, and while they aint true Jazzmaster pickup, more P90s, they have braided leads, all nice Alpha mini pots, the wiring loom is very tidy well routed, and all in all under the guard looks quality, swapped in a Switchcraft jack, need to find a bar for the vibrato, wisdom is use one one for a CIJ and adjust the collets, but it's a lovely guitar, nive thin finish. The only nit I could pick was the chamfering on the treble side frets, slight tendency for the strings to fall off, but as it's a TOM bridge, should be an easy fix

I just bought my son a J Mascis, as the guy I got it off couldn't get on with the look, vibrato, and the jack was screwed.

Lifted the golod anodised pickguard off last nigh, and while they aint true Jazzmaster pickup, more P90s, they have braided leads, all nice Alpha mini pots, the wiring loom is very tidy well routed, and all in all under the guard looks quality, swapped in a Switchcraft jack, need to find a bar for the vibrato, wisdom is use one one for a CIJ and adjust the collets, but it's a lovely guitar, nive thin finish. The only nit I could pick was the chamfering on the treble side frets, slight tendency for the strings to fall off, but as it's a TOM bridge, should be an easy fix

I noticed the pickup difference too when I reviewed the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster. They're kind of like P90s and not nearly as flat and wide as the originals. Still in all, it's a very nice guitar IMO. There's pics of a lot of what you're describing in the article for anyone who's interested. :wave:

Archived