JBL PRX 635 as Mains....Anyone has an opinion?

• Members

My Brothers,

For small to medium gigs, we use a Peavey XR 2012 powered mixer with the first channel pushing 2 JBL MRX 15's and signal out to a powered Eon sub. The other channel pushes 2 monitors.

This mixer can be configured to have the internal amps for mixer duty giving us 2 monitor mixes. I could then connect 2 JBL PRX 635's for mains along with the sub. This gives us more flexibility. Is this workable?

For larger venues and outdoor gigs we hire out a larger system.

Band is Old School Rock and Roll, sax, bass, guitar, piano, and drummer...and we don't play stupid loud.

• Members

IMO, these would be a great alternative to separate subs and tops, especially for your genre, which needs just enough oomph to get folks up and dancing, but doesn't rely on the low end to stay authentic. Frankly, you may find it even sounds better without the Eon sub, which isn't the "sub-iest" thing going. I'd try the 635's full range.

• Members

My Brothers,

In checking reviews on line, the majority of complaints came from DJ's, hardly any from live bands. Is there something a DJ does that would adversly affect the reliability of a powered speaker? Do they drive them harder than a band would?

• Members

My Brothers,

In checking reviews on line, the majority of complaints came from DJ's, hardly any from live bands. Is there something a DJ does that would adversly affect the reliability of a powered speaker? Do they drive them harder than a band would?

Making a gross generalization, a DJ might easily drive speakers far harder than a band might. If the DJ is playing hip-hop or other extremely bass- heavy music, and was not using subs, I can imagine that the DJ would be disappointed with the performance. (The problem being a failure to use the right or sufficient tools for the job.) If a band was not playing extremely bass-heavy music, the outcome with those speakers would/could be much better. Mark C.

Archived