What a relief!

• Members

I have not used my P.A. in a while.One of the local sound companies has one already set up in my band's main venue,and he has made us a deal that can't be refused. $100.00 for the entire weekend! Last time I used mine I noticed a distortion coming from what I thought was one of my sub speakers on the kick drum hits.I ordered a replacement 18,but didn't really check it out due to non-use.In the next 3 weeks,I have my system booked all three weekends.Set the FOH up,and ran recorded music through it.I ran the system harder,and louder than I ever have,and got nothing but good clean sound out of all the boxes.I am relieved that I don't have a blown speaker,but feel pretty stupid about the fact that I must have been running the kick drum signal too hot into the board,causing that channel to distort just slightly.I was never certain that I had a blown speaker,because it just didn't seem like that was the culprit.So,here i sit happy as hell,and dumber than a box of rocks,but I guarentee you,this won't happen again.When a drummer tells me "that is the hardest I will ever hit that",I will still pad the input gain down!!! :facepalm:

• Members

When a drummer tells me "that is the hardest I will ever hit that",I will still pad the input gain down!!!

Yep. Drummers aren't feeling the adrenaline yet when line checking / sound checking and neither are bass players are singers for that matter. Always better to leave yourself a little room on the input gains IMO, especially if you're running sound from the stage and it's not easy (or impossible) to watch the input levels once the show has started.

• Members

... or you have an intermittent connection causing the same symptoms.

Yes,Andy.How did you know that is exactly where my mind went first?I will find out today,but with what i've got,right now I'm putting my money on good old "user error".

Archived