What would be better at basic room micing?

• Members

The reason I asked about these two choices is because these are the mics I had on hand. I went with the 300cs. They worked well but I had everything too loud so it clipped.

To give you an idea of what I'm doing is I am filming with a Nikon D5100 using the audio in on the camera. I've run the 300cs into two channels on my MixWiz and then use aux outs 1 and 2 into the 8th inch jack on the camera.

So far, I've got decent results, but tonight things were too loud and it clipped the whole time. :( There is no way to monitor if everything is too loud until I get home and can watch the results which is a bummer.

Anyway... that is that.

• Members

The reason I asked about these two choices is because these are the mics I had on hand. I went with the 300cs. They worked well but I had everything too loud so it clipped.

To give you an idea of what I'm doing is I am filming with a Nikon D5100 using the audio in on the camera. I've run the 300cs into two channels on my MixWiz and then use aux outs 1 and 2 into the 8th inch jack on the camera.

So far, I've got decent results, but tonight things were too loud and it clipped the whole time.
:(
There is no way to monitor if everything is too loud until I get home and can watch the results which is a bummer.

Anyway... that is that.

You just answered your own question... try 'em both, see what you like. We have no "right" way to do this.

As for the clipping... just turn down the gain... who cares if it's just a rehearsal track?

• Members

The input on the D5100 is probably mic level. You'll need some sort of pad (-40dB) to go between the mixer's line outs and the camera's mic input.

Unless of course it's actually a line input, or there's an option to change the input sensitivity in the camera's menus. Failing all else, you could just turn down output level of the mixwiz until it stops clipping the camera, but at that point the noise floor will be unacceptable.

• Members

I'll bet you are putting a line level signal into a mic level input on your camera. Do you have a line level option??? Isthere real metering on the camera?

Indeed, it is most likely the camera overloading.

It's a DSLR-- so who knows about: input level, metering, impedance? These are all afterthoughts on the camera.

You just have to test... get some headphones, record a little and play it back.

• Members

I'll bet you are putting a line level signal into a mic level input on your camera. Do you have a line level option??? Isthere real metering on the camera?

No metering. No line level option. Its just an input. Padding the mics is the best start right?

• Members

Brings up a thought I had, has anyone tried an IEM receiver as an input to a consumer camcorder with a stereo in plug? If so, how did it work? I have thought of trying this with an x-y of a pair of ldc's at the mix position, and getting a consistent signal with a moving camera.

• Members

Brings up a thought I had, has anyone tried an IEM receiver as an input to a consumer camcorder with a stereo in plug? If so, how did it work? I have thought of trying this with an x-y of a pair of ldc's at the mix position, and getting a consistent signal with a moving camera.

IEM receivers tend to be a bit on the hissy side and otherwise not "HiFi". They do make wireless mics for camcorder use. I usually use two and just set one up at FOH for a static shot and use that audio instead of the audio from the moving camera...

• Members

Omnidirectional mics or mic everything and utilized the AB Line Out of the MixWiz. This always sounds better. I tried the mic across the room thing, the recordings were, for the most part, unlistenable. Depends on the quality of mics you use I guess.

• Members

IEM receivers tend to be a bit on the hissy side and otherwise not "HiFi". They do make wireless mics for camcorder use. I usually use two and just set one up at FOH for a static shot and use that audio instead of the audio from the moving camera...

Not if they are good quality. Maybe with the ones you have experienced.

Archived