Amp suggestions

• Members

Hmmm... maybe something like the Super Champ X2? 15W, same power amp tube setup as a Princeton, but considerably less expensive.

Was looking at the Super Champs last night, looks really cool and really versatile, didn't even know they had a tube pre and power amp! Gonna see if I can try one out somewhere.

Theres also the Vibro Champ XD, seems to be similar to the Super Champ XD, just small (1 6V6)

These amps seems really cool, can't believe I dismissed them all this time.

I think I'd rather have the X2, but that's just me.

Remember - these are hybrid amps, but IMHO they're hybrid done the right way - instead of just sticking a preamp tube in that only really gets used for distortion, these take the opposite approach, with solid state (or digital modeling) front ends (preamps) a tube inverter (SC X2) or output driver (VC XD), and a tube power amp. There's no tube rectifier like on a Princeton either, which will make more of a difference in "feel" than sound - when cranked, things compress and note attacks "bloom" a bit more slowly and things feel a bit spongier with a tube rectifier.

• Members

Assuming that you're going to use the amp for recording (as well as practice), and that you are still avoiding doing shows (tsk, tsk), I'm thinking that you have a couple choices for platform:

* Smaller combo. All-in-one convenience, less flexibility. Your budget may limit you to something which isn't much of a sonic improvement from current situation. (based on your recently posted recordings)

* Small head. Requires speaker(s); offers more flexibility. Quite likely to give more sonic bang for buck.

For small combos, you may want to look at a Roland JC-77. You use a lot of effects, and that's a great platform for them. I won't go into the tube vs. SS stuff, you know the ins and outs. The JC-77 is world class amp and you can find them for +/- $400. It will hold it's resale value and you could gig with it.

I'm not a fan of hybrids.

Other small combo recommendations: +1 to Peavey tube amps; maybe a Fender Excelsior / whatever?; an old Blues Deluxe if you can find one for cheap.

For small heads, I've been nothing but pleased with my Egnater Rebel 30. It has both EL84s and 6v6's, and a blend feature that means you can chase Vox voicing or Fender-y cleans; in the middle it is its own thing. It also has a direct-out for recording without needing a speaker load, which would be fantastic for your situation. It would give you a top notch 'personal' amp, and you can upscale to gigging with it if you wish. You can find them for about $400 used. I have nice vintage Fenders, but that Egnater has become my favorite.

My guess is you're looking for a way to get fat tube sound without neighbor complaints and/or dropping a fortune. Finding a small tube head with a silent/record-out feature is far and away your best bet.

Archived