NGD

• Members

I ain't taking this thing back to the States. But you had to go there - didn't ya FF?

All these guitars come with Kevlar jock-straps as standard equipment. It's not optional. Welding gloves come standard too. Michael refused to use the gloves or optional helmet.Dunno if he wore the Kevlar jock-strap. Don't wanna know either.

But considering he was already in a highly combustible environment of shrimp étouffée fumes, alcoholic beverages and barre chords on a guitar that stands accused of resembling some form of Taylor, it was a really explosive situation.The tension in the air was palpable.

But damn - on a crappy cell phone recording, full of background noise, that little guitar sounds really good AFAIC.

For those who read French, here is the man playing that little guitar in my bistro. Back in the day, he went to Andy Warhol parties. He was Chrissie Hynde's BF and bass player before she left France.

I'm having a going away party for a daughter Saturday night. He wants to play a duet w/me. But I'm too lazy for that anymoré. He's a pro.

Plus, I'd bring a guitar that would be accused of resembling a Guild F65ce, a Marcellis archtop or maybe even a synth that would be accused of resembling a Korg M3M. Then all hell could break loose at the HCAGF. I otta watch my P's and Q's around this place.

http://roadsmag.com/interview-michae...3938474492009/

memmi-collage-4.jpg.jpg

• Members

So, how's it you didn't accompany Michael with vocals in that 2nd vid? It's begging for it. Brain buckets and flak jackets out of fashion in Saigon? Seems reasonable to presume, recent history considered. Yep, noisy place. Mine was too but I had the obnoxious PA system I could remotely fiddle with and the guitar was a strictly plugged event. Still, few had the savoir to get raw. Looks like a fun time, all things considered.

• Members
So' date=' how's it you didn't accompany Michael with vocals in that 2nd vid? It's begging for it. Brain buckets and flak jackets out of fashion in Saigon? Seems reasonable to presume, recent history considered. Yep, noisy place. Mine was too but I had the obnoxious PA system I could remotely fiddle with and the guitar was a strictly plugged event. Still, few had the savoir to get raw. Looks like a fun time, all things considered.[/quote']

IDUNNO: Actually, there is a sound system turned to low volume playing in the background. I also have a small Mackie mixer, Roland AC60 amp and a couple of other powered speakers I could hook up. But I'm too lazy. And it's a small place.

I didn't sing w/Michael because I had no idea what he was playing. He sings in native French too. I don't.

I'm too old and lazy anymore to play live. There are plenty of very good expat musicians here, from EU, UK, Oz/NZ, Canada, US, even Philippines. That's why I leave a good guitar on the wall - for them. They don't want to play junk. I keep good strings on too.

---

DEEP END and KWAKATTACK: I read your comments in page 1. I'd like to hear Acacia w/Cedar. I honestly don't know how that would sound. I still don't know what to conclude about Acacia with a tight-grain Spruce top, except that it is very loud.

Binh's two really special-sounding flat-tops are Maple/Spruce and Rosewood/Cedar. Every one I've heard is extraordinary. Katopp's Maple-Spruce variant of my 1988 Guild/Walker D60 is a wonder.

I think it has something to with the humidity. And that's why Kevlar jock straps and welder's gloves are mandatory -not optional. Binh's been a prince about the whole thing. He throws them in as case candy. He knows we Westerners can't take the heat the way Vietnamese can.

That's life for me. I'm in the gumbo trade. I play guitar. I know what it means to live on the edge.

• Members

I hear you on the lazy part. I haven't picked up a guitar since the last VOM here. MY GAS (Give-A-Shit) factor for playing is deflating rapidly. Ah well, we all change right?

I have to admit, though, making gumbo in a small bistro and people watching to pass the time seems like a pretty good idea.

• Members

Paul P. is an expat guitarist - a pro - from the EU, one of the DACH countries. He took my new little guitar for a spin last night. We had a lot of traffic in the street and in the bistro. Still - it was loud enough to be heard above it all.

It's another cell phone recording. But more than the other vids, this gives you a pretty good idea of what Acacia sounds like w/a tight-grain Spruce top because he strums it all.

Nhjy4zp0LDg

Interestingly, he owns a real Taylor - a Baby Taylor. He brought it along.

LFiMsl88HjU

• Members

You need to capture some of the finger picking players better. Maybe have the guitars plugged to a recorder as well as the PA? Then create a compilation for playing back in your PA during normal business hours. That would be a great collection to have.

If that 1st vid tells me anything other than he's beating the crap outa the strings, there's a strong low and mid range but little coming thru on the highs. That could be the room and the phone, though.

• Members
You need to capture some of the finger picking players better. Maybe have the guitars plugged to a recorder as well as the PA? Then create a compilation for playing back in your PA during normal business hours. That would be a great collection to have.

If that 1st vid tells me anything other than he's beating the crap outa the strings, there's a strong low and mid range but little coming thru on the highs. That could be the room and the phone, though.

Actually he wasn't stumming that hard. I was seated near him.

It's a noisy place. Setting up better mic's will also pick up all the noise more accurately. So I usually just record w/the cell phone.

You're right about the sound. It's liike Hog w- a bit more edge. Not much high or low end. I think the top may impart some high end to the tone. An Acacia top guitar would be interesting to compare w-a Hog top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Great guitar! Can I ask how much you paid for it? I'll be in Vietnam next month. I'll look for your bistro and get some southern food if I get the chance.

$250. I should have bargained him down though. Once I found out it looked like a Taylor - it was less valuable to me. The dread I liked was a total original. If I'd noticed this one's looks, I'd have stuck w/the Maple dread. Nobody noticed except here.

This one is a loud sucker though. You can hear it through all the noise. A lot of folks play it. Nobody's commented on the looks yet. Only people in this thread.

PM me for my local phone and address of Bistro. I'll give you Binh's contact info too.

• Members

Cool, thank you for the info! I'll try to send you a PM. Would he let you return the guitar and switch it for the maple dread, or is it past any sort of return policy period? Personally, I wouldn't mind if it looked like a Taylor as long as it sounded great! I understand wanting to buy an original design though.

• Members

Just call when you're in country. 090 835 8009.

From US 84-90-835-8009

Cool' date=' thank you for the info! I'll try to send you a PM. Would he let you return the guitar and switch it for the maple dread, or is it past any sort of return policy period? Personally, I wouldn't mind if it looked like a Taylor as long as it sounded great! I understand wanting to buy an original design though. [/quote']

Yeah, but people like the guitar.So I'll leave it hanging there.

I do regret not buying the Maple dread though. It was loud enough,

but not as loud as this thing. And it didn't look like any particular brand.

It was a pretty Bird's Eye Maple/Spruce dread.

If I wanted him to clone me a guitar, I'd order a Super 400 arch-top,

or a Guild F50 jumbo. I sure as hell wouldn't clone a mid-range Taylor

model.

Why? I already have a grand orchestra F65ce that is a stunner. I bought

this little guitar because my pal noticed how loud it was. The real Baby

Taylors BTW, are surprisingly loud too.

• Members

I'll have to check out the maple dread. I love dreads, but I absolutely don't need another. In fact, I need to put a couple up for sale before my trip. My wife has me on a "one-in, one-out" quota, and I'm a little behind in the selling category.

Again, I really like the looks and sound of your new purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing it in your bistro next month!

Archived