Safety or Silliness?

• Members

The rehearsal space I practice at in Sacramento just gave me a call and left a voicemail.

Apparently the fire marshall or inspector for the fire department has come to the warehouse where our space is and said that none of the rooms can have extension cords or surge protectors (power strips) as it is an incredible danger for fire.

We have been asked to remove all extension cords and strips from our space (as has everyone in the building).

What the hell? What is the risk? Can anyone shine some light? I'm sure everyone hear knows the utility of these items in a band setting. So why is he so concerned with their use?

• Members

I am not entirely sure but at my business there is to be no extension cords except for temporary use. This was told to me by the local FD in their bi annual inspection. On a couple pieces of my equipment (a small bandsaw and a buffer) I just got rid of the stock 8' power cord and added 25' power cords to them. That is OK with the FD.

• Members

House of hits? Sac rehearsal? God-like? And what band? PM me if you want to chat.

Short end of the story is that there's some real dangers with unsafely used power in these shared facilities. There's also some abuse of power and heavy-handed restrictions that I've seen occur in this town purely for political purposes. Both frequently come into play. And it could be either...

• Members

Oh. I don't really have anything to say since I really don't know too much about that rehearsal studio, short of some of the issues that they've had with both their landlord and the city in the past.

I do know some of the people who opened that place (as musical acquantiances), and it's safe to say they aren't as on top of the legal issues as other landlords. It's also safe to say they've been flailing (you as a tenant probably you have gotten some wind of).

What I do not know is what legal ramifications their, shall-we-say muscian-ism, have brought upon them. But I do know that this is Sac-town, and whatever legal/procedural card another business can play to hit a competitor will be dealt.

You're in the insurance biz so you may be more on top of that than me.

• Members

Meh, just bring your power strips with you and remove them when you're done practicing. Not super convenient, but really not that big of a deal either. It's ludicrous not allow them to be used temporarily while you practice. You'd need 4 outlets every six feet on the wall otherwise.

• Members

So I just checked online and here's what Sacramento says about extension cords:

- Shall not be used as substitute for permanent wiring.

- Approved extension cords may be used for temporary wiring of portable appliances for no longer than 90 days.

- No daisy chaining.

- Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be affixed to structures; extend through walls, ceilings, floors, under doors or floor coverings; or be subject to environmental or physical damage.

So it looks like they are getting you on the technicality of the first point. My guess is they found all kinds of interesting configurations (damaged cords, lifted grounds, homemade power strips, cables run under throw rugs etc.) and just decided to announce that they weren't allowed at all. So again, just bring them with you and take them out when you leave.

• Members

So I just checked online and here's what Sacramento says about extension cords:

- Shall not be used as substitute for permanent wiring.

- Approved extension cords may be used for temporary wiring of portable appliances for no longer than 90 days.

- No daisy chaining.

- Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be affixed to structures; extend through walls, ceilings, floors, under doors or floor coverings; or be subject to environmental or physical damage.

So it looks like they are getting you on the technicality of the first point. My guess is they found all kinds of interesting configurations (damaged cords, lifted grounds, homemade power strips, cables run under throw rugs etc.) and just decided to announce that they weren't allowed at all. So again, just bring them with you and take them out when you leave.

This is basically what we'll have to do. Though we'll probably just unplug, put in a box, and set aside until the next practice. (instead of taking them home)

Why they are lumping power strips into it is beyond me. The weird thing is... the inspector is saying its okay to use a power strip as an extension cord as long as there is only one item plugged into it. Well my entire live box is plugged into one strip (MixWiz, EQs, Comps, Gates) so what the hell?

All sounds like BS to me.

• Members

BTW. Tiffany is a terrible screenname.

I was expecting you to be at least cute. I've met you -- you are not.

Lol. While this is all true (and I didn't choose it) I do find that the male dominated forum world is quick to help a tiffany over a subs. :lol:

• Members

There have been enough fires caused by poorly maintained "relocatable power taps" used for permanent power that I can see the justification. The question is how temporary is this.

In my shop, everything is in conduit, I have receptacles every 48" along about 70' of workbench. Of course, there's calculations that go along with this which dictates how many branch circuits you will need.

• Members

just wrap up the cabling after 90 days, then wire it back up the next week

THIS. Or not even. All this is, is some legal BS because they don't want wiring that is designed to be temporary---like extension cords---to become permanent. Because if they don't, next thing you know some numbnuts will be running an extension cord from the street to be wiring his entire house.

So just disconnect it every 90 days or less for a night and then re-connect it and legally you're in compliance.

• Members

THIS. Or not even. All this is, is some legal BS because they don't want wiring that is designed to be temporary---like extension cords---to become permanent. Because if they don't, next thing you know some numbnuts will be running an extension cord from the street to be wiring his entire house.

So just disconnect it every 90 days or less for a night and then re-connect it and legally you're in compliance.

Never mind the scary stuff that people think is safe, or the problems in another rehersal bay that might cause damage to your gear...

Is the place insured against fire and the coverage extend to the personal gear stored there? If not, the improved safety might be for your benefit and safety.

• Members

The weird thing is... the inspector is saying its okay to use a power strip as an extension cord as long as there is only one item plugged into it. Well my entire live box is plugged into one strip (MixWiz, EQs, Comps, Gates) so what the hell?

All sounds like BS to me.

What the inspector is saying is you can't daisy chain connector strips. You can plug as many items as a strip is rated for, just don't plug in another strip.

• Members

What the inspector is saying is you can't daisy chain connector strips. You can plug as many items as a strip is rated for, just don't plug in another strip.

No, he was actually saying you can only have one item plugged into each strip. Whether it is 14 outlet or 2, only one thing can be plugged into it.

• Members

No, he was actually saying you can only have one item plugged into each strip. Whether it is 14 outlet or 2, only one thing can be plugged into it.

That is incorrect. The strip is UL listed for the number of receptacles on it. You can't (technically) use cube taps with the strip however.

Archived