will setup handle 1000 people outside for multiple bands

• Members

Bubble head (sub sailor) they took extra pleasure cutting my locks.You are correct about the grinder especially in great Lakes. I was a gator sailor uss saipan and wasp were two of my ships. I retired of uss wasp. Thanks for your service.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got to open up my medium system tonight - a pair of RCF 310a's with a pair of clustered TH-Minis (on a bridged NU3000). Hard rock in a 500(?) cap club - Woo biggrin.gif ! The DJ's system had 3 18's under a pair of some 12 or 15" powered tops per side I think. Glad he wasn't there, that has to be insanely loud eek.gif . 9 days since the last stabbing, gotta love DJ's - Woo facepalm.gif !

• Members
Bubble head (sub sailor) they took extra pleasure cutting my locks.You are correct about the grinder especially in great Lakes. I was a gator sailor uss saipan and wasp were two of my ships. I retired of uss wasp. Thanks for your service.

... and my thanks to you as well. 20 years is quite some sacrifice.

I also did my boot at Great Mistakes ;) For being so far north, it sure does get hot in the summer. I served in San Diego on SSN 595 USS Plunger a fast attack sub. Bubble head for sure :)

Be sure to report back when you get that system out in front of 1000 people and let us all know how it went!

• CMS Author
Pro Sound Guy, please check the wattage in my prior post and you'll see it is about 1.5x rms.

the two things I pushed back on was the notion that i'm going to damage the speakers that I've been running the for years with no issues, and what is needed by reggae acts, a style of music I've playing and been around all my life. several of the opinions were taking to heart.

So then what was it you were uncertain of?

• Members

Craig, here are my concerns.

the SRX722 has dual twelve inch speakers,the SRX715 has a 15 inch driver, and they have different horns. I plan to use one 722 and 715 per side for the gig. I am worried about come filtering and time alignment between the boxes. I do plan to splaying the 715 boxes about 40 degree from the 722. my ideal situation would be another pair of SRX722 but I can't find another pair. i think the subs will do the job.

• Members

As long as you are brainstorming, this might be a situation where a "dual PA" could offer some benefit. If the 75 degree nominal dispersion gives you adequate horizontal coverage then you can point both speakers in the same direction and keep the musical content each box reproduce separate. Perhaps put the instruments in the SRX715's and the vocals in the SRX722's. Subs stay the same as before and presumably just have instruments or just selected instruments if running aux subs.

By keeping the vocals separate you potentially reduce the problems associated with using two different boxes to reproduce the same signal.

This arrangement, especially with aux subs, lets each speaker focus on amplifying as few source signals as possible and lets you selectively high pass each box. One main benefit is a potential increase in vocal clarity by eliminating intermodulation distortion in the vocal speakers. That is, the relatively high vocal frequencies are not riding on top of lower vibrations on the same cone and they are more accurately reproduced.

In theory you can can squeeze a couple more "clean" dB out of the system. That is, you may be able to push the overall system a little harder before it distorts noticeably. I have tried this a couple of times and the results were not bad. I suppose I felt the vocals were nice and clear. But in my case I had 2x SRS722 per side and plenty of rig for the gig. So I was not pushing anything that hard in previous gigs or in the ones with the dual PA. And without a direct A/B comparison I couldn't really say if the vocals were better or not.

In practice you don't get an ideal separation of signals either. The loud guitar amp and those massive snare hits still bleed into all the vocal mics. But the main problem, especially in a festival situation, is now you have added another layer of complexity to your setup. It can get confusing keeping your signal paths correct when you have a lot of different acts and the mandatory quick turn around. Still, everyone should try this at least once!

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author
Craig, here are my concerns.

the SRX722 has dual twelve inch speakers,the SRX715 has a 15 inch driver, and they have different horns. I plan to use one 722 and 715 per side for the gig. I am worried about come filtering and time alignment between the boxes. I do plan to splaying the 715 boxes about 40 degree from the 722. my ideal situation would be another pair of SRX722 but I can't find another pair. i think the subs will do the job.

Are you seeing the problem with how you've responded to people who replied to you? If you expect an answer about comb filtering and time alignment, you should ask about comb filtering and time alignment. Even in your replies to people expressing concern about coverage and loudness you didn't mention this.

Archived