Cheap stuff that you’ve used… successfully or not.

• Members

One of my best cheap SR audiopiles was 8ea. cloned JBL 4520 subs, I bought from "The Ritz"... origonally Studio 54... being equipment from the origonal install.

I reworked them by cutting down the horn flair to a modified shelf port... which either I was "smart" or incredibly lucky... I think I was lucky, but those hacked down cloned 4520 subs absolutely kicked ass.

• Members

peavey rq200 mixer, not really to cheap, but i got it for 20 dollars and its run entire conventions with me, and has some really neat aspects to it..working as a volume control on my desk right now actually.

The whole RQ series was actually a very capable and good sounding lineup. My $50 pawn shop RQ200 has paid for itself dozens of times. It lives in a rack case for DJ or small PA duty.

• Members

The whole RQ series was actually a very capable and good sounding lineup. My $50 pawn shop RQ200 has paid for itself dozens of times. It lives in a rack case for DJ or small PA duty.

I have a 24ch RQ that's making me money to this day.

• Members

I've used my share of cheap crap but these days I can't afford to buy something twice. There are some great products out there but nothing that is the core of my systems: usually mics, snakes, some road cases bought cheap on Craigslist.

Mics: behringer xm5800s, great budget mic. Usually I use 58s or audix om2s though.

Audiopile 454 and 327 (I think) kick and snare mics. Please make more, I'll buy them.

Rat shack drum mics. Also a great tom mic, bought 8 years ago, 6 or 7 still work great after 10 years of use.

Behringer C05 and Samson CO2 small diaphragm mics. The behringers are too small for a standard clip so I engaged the HPF and wrapped gaff tape around them so they'd fit in a clip.

That's about it.

• Members

I used to have this (Tapco 6100RB)

tapco.jpg

And these (Shure SR-103, successor to the Vocalmaster)

Shure_sr102-2.jpgshure_sr102.jpg

...powered by this (we've all seen one)

peavey_cs400.jpg

It was my church's old system and not horrible for when the components were introduced, but when I got ahold of the mixer & speakers in the early 90's, it was a blast from the past. You gotta love the big internal spring reverb tank inside the mixer - just don't jar the thing unless you want a huge booiiyoooiiiyoooiiinnngg.

• Members

You know, what happens after some time at doing this professionally you start to see the really valuable things when sold cheap anud you end up buying better stuff cheap vs paying list for cheap stuff that also works. I dunno, seems like my eyes scan over things that are cheap and could work and I look for good quality stuff that people don't recognize the value in.

• Members

I used to have this (Tapco 6100RB)

tapco.jpg

The band I play in still has one of those... we've had it since the early '80's when it was "left to us" by a departing band member. It's still in-use, multiple times per week, as it generally has been for the past some-odd 30 years.

oh, and cheap crap or not when it was purchased new, that piece of equipment has not given us one slightest hint of a problem in the 3,000 - 4,000 hours that it's been in use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Prodipe 580 headphones. I've had these for about 9 months and have beat the living snot out of them. They sound decent, are efficient and well isolated, foldable and cost a mear $12.50 NEW (ttl with shipping) on ebay (comes with bag & mini sdapter). Great cheap headphones. No they're not audiophile but would work fine for "throw them in the box" live cue headphones or DJ phones.

I want to buy a couple of extra pairs (pocket change really) for down the road.

Can't beat the value.

• Members
B208D. Excellent small active Speaker that is powerful...clean and highy portable. I used it mainly for monitoring...but have used it twice for smally parties up to 40 people crowd...both times using a PAIR. It is LOUD!...yet retains clarity even at high levels.

Used one of mine as a bass amp outdoors today - backyard party, guitarist has a small acoustic combo for his weird classical (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-SLG130NW-Classical-Style-Silent-Guitar-106550908-i1788060.gc) and one mic :D .

• Members

B208D. Excellent small active Speaker that is powerful...clean and highy portable. I used it mainly for monitoring...but have used it twice for smally parties up to 40 people crowd...both times using a PAIR. It is LOUD!...yet retains clarity even at high levels.

I used one of their DI's as a wheel chock a while back and it too proved to work well.

• Members

JBL MP255S dual 15" Subs, I love them for smaller events

Buddy of mine had a pair underneath a set of Kustom dual 15's, and other times under some Peavey SP2's. Nice subs, he just had no idea how to set a crossover up or properly power them. But that's why he always called me for sound. When I first met him, he had 4 of those Kustom dual 15's, 4 of the Gemini DJ speakers, the MP255S's and a pair of DTH dual 15's. All he had powering EVERYTHING was a Crate two-channel, and a (one channel down) Crown 3000 IIRC. I brought in my EP2500 to help, and we smoothened out the sound. But still, holy hell, he scared me...

• Members

The behringer DI's are my absolute least favorite DI out there. Horrible layout, noisy, the battery cover was always missing, buttons pushed in but you couldn't tell. Trouble shooting with one in the signal chain was always a nightmare. I gave the only one I had away.

to someone I didn't like

• Members

The behringer DI's are my absolute least favorite DI out there. Horrible layout, noisy, the battery cover was always missing, buttons pushed in but you couldn't tell. Trouble shooting with one in the signal chain was always a nightmare. I gave the only one I had away.

to someone I didn't like

They do make pretty good wheel chocks. Don't knock them until you try them ;)

• Members

Played a beer tent this weekend using a shared PA, they had one of those new Behringer powered subs and it actually sounded very good. The first band had the adjustable crossover set way to low for the 12" Mackie powered speakers(SRM 350's or whatever) but once we adusted it it really did a nice job, better than the EON sub that they were using at previous gig's.

Dont know If I'd buy one since its Behr and might not stand the test of time, but it performed better than I expected.

• Members

Played a beer tent this weekend using a shared PA, they had one of those new Behringer powered subs and it actually sounded very good. The first band had the adjustable crossover set way to low for the 12" Mackie powered speakers(SRM 350's or whatever) but once we adusted it it really did a nice job, better than the EON sub that they were using at previous gig's.

Dont know If I'd buy one since its Behr and might not stand the test of time, but it performed better than I expected.

I too have the same experience as you. My Band shared the stage with 2 more bands. There were 2 Behr powered Subs and 4 Behr Active 12" full Range tops. They sounded pretty nice. I am sharing from what I have used.

• Members

Some gear may not necessarily have been "cheap stuff" when new, but is readily available for little $$ on the used market and still performs well. I like to mention the early 90's Peavey 118 SUB-HC. They're huge frontloads (compared to a lot of new stuff) but they sound decent and are dirt cheap on the used market. They're efficient for single 18" subs and the boxes are made of plywood instead of the all-too-common MDF. There was a pair on my local craigslist for $150 last month. I see them regularly for $200-300/pair in original condition. As long as they aren't damaged and have the original black widows (no cheapie replacements), they're a great deal for someone on a tight budget (and someone who doesn't mind the size & weight).

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/118subhc.pdf

5Ib5Hc5R63Kb3M23l2c7jd1d89cd6722b109d.jp

I think a QSC RMX1450 or 1850HD would make a good match for these subs, running one per side and with the 50hz HPF engaged.

Archived