So, what's up?

StratGuy22

• Members

This weekend was our local rodeo, so I provided sound and lights for the dance on fri abd Saturday nights. Fun band, I've done sound for them a few times now.

Malady song Friday night so it was a little rough around the edges lol

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its a pretty neat band. The lead singer and 3 guitar players are the core. Then they pick up bass players and drummers for the gigs. The drummer had played with them before. It was the first time for the bass player. That way they can pickup local guys in the big cities. They have a few to choose from depending on who is available.

This is weekend I get off and on going to see my gf. Then it's back at it. I'm booked solid until November. Then 2 Xmas parties & NYE in dec.

crazy.

• Members

I've been busy, too. Have only had three gigs this year with my rock band so far, but the last two months have been insane on other fronts. I play Dixieland and Big Band styles also, and have been working an average of about twice a week. This is crazy. I enjoy playing those gigs with the older dudes, but I never thought there was work there, let alone this much. "Big band" dudes are interesting, too. Way different than working with rock/bar band guys.

For some reason getting promo material for the rock band together has been a struggle. I hired a photographer in March for a gig, he got sick and didn't show. My wife got some decent quality pics at an out town gig earlier this month, but the composition is a bit problematic for promo material. Good demonstrations of the capabilities of her telephoto lens, however.. A couple of really nice shots in the group, though. Starting to revamp our promo material to make us not look so unhireable.

Last gig was with the drummer we "hired" last September. This was my first gig with him, he missed the last two because of previous commitments. This guy is GREAT. He sings well, plays fantastic, and is really aggressive about not dawdling between songs. I love that.

Also trying to put together a "live" 3-song demo CD from the board recording. That may or may not work. I need to figure out how to do some punch-ins with my crappy hardware. Board recordings are interesting. You can learn a lot by listening to your gigs one track at a time. It turns out my mike technique is {censored} in some songs. And I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I will have to review the video and see if I can figure it out.

BTW, any of you guys have a solution for set lists for a lead guitar player that can't read giant text more than about 4 feet from his face? Right now he's using a music stand. I'd like to change that if possible. I think at least next gig I will ask him to set it to his side and tip it more horizontal. It really screws up his photos.

Wes

• Members

Is the txt for setlists or lyrics? Maybe just huge writing on pages on the ground...

Our bass player and myself are picking up a deposit for a wedding on August 22. We'll get together and hash things out. Plus I'll I've them some sheets for songs in between, the first dance songs etc.

• Members

Text is for set lists. Claims he can't read 'em on the ground. The text is huge, roughly 17 lines per page. He does look cooler without his glasses. I find it hilarious that he's got everything memorized and still wants a music stand. I wonder if I could get away with taping the set lists to his monitor wedge.

• Members

Hm. Like a security blanket. I never thought of that. Good point.

I used to keep charts in my organ bench just in case I forgot something. There came a point where remember to bring them was too much work. Laziness triumphs over evil!

• Members

I was told when they moved the stage that they had installed 50A power. They didn't. It would have made life easier. I had to run 4 long extension cords to where the stage is.

Many bass player and I met with a bride & groom to pick up a down payment for Aug 22. Had a good meeting, discussed songs, the setup etc. He asked how the power was, and I told him how I wished there was a 50A outlet there. Turns out that he's an electrician. So he's going to talk to them and see about installing a 50A outlet in exchange for a deal on renting the hall for the wedding. So that will work out great for future gigs as well!!

• Members

I always specify 2 15A circuits for our gigs. I've never measured our load, but we rehearse on a single circuit without issue. I figure one more is enough for the FOH and lights. Of course, we don't have a light show like yours.....just 100 or 150W of LED stuff. :)

Do you use one of those fancy $1000 50A distro boxes, or is there something out there a little more reasonable? I don't understand why those boxes are so expensive. It strikes me that you could build one out of a pony panel, 4 circuit breakers, four duplex GFCI receptacles, 50A plug, and an 8/3 (or would it be 8/4?) stranded copper line cord. *mental math* - That's $250 worth of parts. Of course, you wouldn't get the same form-factor. Plus whatever length you need for the line cord if longer than 6'.

• Members

I have a Peavey 50A Distro. It gives me 6 - 20A plugs. I also have a 30A distro that we use with a generator. It was made by a journeyman electrician. The nice thing about the peavy is that is UL approved. I have some feeder cable for both, 2 separate ones.

Here's one for $479...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...unt_Power.html

I have it mounted in a 4U shallow rack case. It's only 2U big but the 4U rack gives me space to coil the 10' feeder cable. I'll take a pic after work. It works out great!

• Members

Yeah, I just find that not all 220V plugs are created equal.

But four 20A circuits? Really? Even back in the day of using non-LED lighting and a full monitor and FOH system with analog power amps and a full backline, I never really needed more than 3. Now with all LED lights, IEM monitors, powered speakers and using tablets instead of mixers, 2 circuits is probably overkill.

• Members

True. I like to have it divided up like this.

1: Mixer, comp, router, 4 power amps

2: subs , front lights pedal board, keys and backline

3: wash lights

4: moving heads

I've found when I try to run the wash lights and the movers together the wash lights get finicky and blow the odd fuse so I separate them when I can. Probably get by with 2 20A circuits without lights.

• Members

Yeah, I can see where the movers probably draw some power.

I usually just do it:

1) stage left

2) stage right

3) lights

we specify 3-20A circuits in our contract but far too often by the time we show up at some of our "venues" we're handed a single brown two prong extension cord through a window with instructions to not unplug the toaster until after dinner is served....

....consequently, having as low a power draw as possible is one of our big concerns when purchasing gear.

• Members

Ain't that the truth. I remember showing up at one venue. "Hi, I'm with the band just checking things out. Do you happen to have 220V power?"

"what's that?"

"its like a stove receptacle."

"oh yeah, we have one of those"

"great, where is it?"

"ohhhhh I think the stove is plugged into it"

"oh kaaaaaaaay"

• Members

I love how often the one guy who might possibly have a clue as to the power situation in the venue never seems to work on Saturdays. "Yeah....Bill is the one knows all about that stuff. But he's off today. I'll see if I can find his number and call him at home...."

Seriously....you people rent out for your venue for private events every weekend but it never has yet occurred to you that it might be a good idea to give your "engineer" Mondays off instead of Saturdays? :facepalm:

• Members

LOL. I worked a show last summer where everybody was new to the venue. A hangar-sized bar. The stage area is VERY dark when the dance floor is not in use. There are lots of lights pointed it at it, though.........but there was not a single staff member there for setup that knew how to turn them on. I had to set up a five piece rock band with a pair of 10W LED wash lights and a cigarette lighter.

Playing with a gig recording (hired soundman with x32 for a show) trying to find "demo" material tonight. Band is sounding better: https://soundcloud.com/wesgarland/bestfriendsgirl-1/s-UzqRk ..... Trying to decide if this type of stuff is good enough for bar owners. Suspect band mates will say "no". My take is that's it's way better than nothing, and representative of what we actually sound like. Except I fixed a couple of mistakes. :D

Wes

• Members

Sounds pretty good. But if it's a multi-track recording, I'd suggest bringing down the vocals overall and bringing up the drums. (well, all the instruments really.) The vocals aren't bad, but they aren't SO good that'd I'd want them so far on top. Try burying them just a wee bit and see how it sounds.

And definitely bring up the keys. :D

• Members
I also have the peavey distro but rarely use it anymore. Played a wedding last week end with a generator that had a 50 amp range receptacle so we used it then.

Most times when we are able to spec a generator its a 24KW light tower. There's always a useable 30A outlet on there, so it works out.

• Members

Funny you should mention that. Originally we were suppose to have a decent generator from a rental store but do to a mix up it was sent to help fight fires in glacier park. When we arrived at the site there was an ancient generator that we could not get to work properly. They also had a light tower with a 30 amp circuit. We plugged into that.

Meanwhile a guy brought another generator to replace the old one. When we started playing our presonus board froze up 3 times in the first 3o minutes. This happen before at another gig with lousy power. We were about to switch out our mixer to a back up Mackie when instead we plugged our distro into the new generator and everything was fine after that.

• Members

We're you able to meter the power? I use a UPS for every gig. Nothing fancy, a Cyberpower something or other. Basically the mixer runs off the battery, and the battery is constantly being charged from the power. I've always used it with my Studiolives and never had any problems.

Recently did a gig off a 10KW construction generator when all the power went out in town. I wasn't crazy about it, but the power checked out. Had no issues but I used my SL16.0.2 instead of my RM32AI in case something went wrong.

Archived