So, what's up?

StratGuy22

• Members

I have been procrastinating learning some new country tunes. First practice with new band is May 15 and I still have 6 songs to learn so I should be OK. Problem is though, they all sound alike to me.

Still limping along with the classic rock band and the drama seems to have quieted down some.

Have had some positive feedback regarding my Deadish project and have enough players interested to get together and jam.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Provided lights & sound last week for our local Prom. It's held in our are a and they always do it up really nice. 640 in attendance. I use my SL24.4.2 tops & subs, a couple monitors & a pair of delay speakers half way down. Light rig as well. 88 grads, 640 people in total.

It went really well. Piece of cake actually. The only pain in the ass was not getting into the Showmobile (the mobile stage)on Sunday. Again, no key. The guy from the town is a real pain in the ass in this regard.

He always uses the 50A power feed for the lights, which we never use, so I'm stuck with the 30A power feed. It's enough but the 50A would be better.

There was the grand March and the. Supper.

One guy played a song on piano.

One girl played guitar while another sang

One girl played guitar and sang

One guy played guitar and sang

Then there were speeches, and finally the dance. Started at around 10:30, did the special dances:

Moms & Sons

Dads & Daughters

Promees and special people

The the prom people

And then it was on. With the special dances, I always make sure there's enough down time for the one group to leave and the other group to get set up. Nothing like being stuck halfway down the aisle as the father daughter dance starts and you miss half of it.

It was closer to 11 by the time I started to DJ. We would take breaks to give away prizes, you had to be in attendance and in your suit/dress to win.

Prizes:

2 - $100 gift certificates

2 - $150 gift certificates

2 - $300 cash prizes

A nice cooler

A mini fridge

Some Beats Headphones

An iPad Air

A MacBook Air

So it was definitely worth their while to stick around. Probably had 60 kids at the end, so about 3/4 stayed. Then they were off to the after party. That's a s***show that runs from midnight until 5am, a bush party. I want no part of that lol.

Started tearing down at midnight, worked until 3:30am, about 75% and ready to load out.

Arrived at 2pm the next day to finish tearing down and loading out. Home by 4pm. Tired as hell. Had a nap until around 9pm lol.

Good job, pays $2,000. Here's some pics:

C4BAD968-3335-493B-A07B-F2CAA18436F6.jpg

Mission control

767312B8-27C8-45E4-9C81-5364FAE38874.jpg

11F5310F-910F-41C3-A337-99EB13BEBD98.jpg

C1B93B35-664C-4642-A143-9AC74A321B4D.jpg

A9050479-A3B2-40F9-9614-B1D63817B5C2.jpg

AAB248C7-C967-43A5-9F7A-A25914C14756.jpg

Some video:

• Members

Absolutely DISASTROUS audition tonight. We met the guy at Starbucks and chatted. He seemed a bit nervous, but the three of us were grilling him and Camille is attractive. I know that can make some guys awkward. We chalked it up to the first meet. He said had recent performances and liked to play songs even if he didn't listen to them. Perfect. I gave him these songs twelve days ago:

Mr. Jones - Counting Crows

The Seeker - The Who

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Dude couldn't even nail the opening riff for Summer of '69. Then I sang it to him. Still couldn't do it. I had him try at the fifth fret instead of open D. Nope. Couldn't get the rhythms for The Seeker. He walked all over the bass line during Billie Jean. :facepalm

We played through most of these twice. Train wreck. "Do you have something you know really well that we could play?" Two minutes later and he suggests Green River by CCR. He missed the main riffs. Then we tried Last Dance with Mary Jane. He almost knew it.

On the upside, we have a very nice demo of the thee of us as long as I render the tracks without guitar...

• Members
Absolutely DISASTROUS audition tonight. We met the guy at Starbucks and chatted. He seemed a bit nervous, but the three of us were grilling him and Camille is attractive. I know that can make some guys awkward. We chalked it up to the first meet. He said had recent performances and liked to play songs even if he didn't listen to them. Perfect. I gave him these songs twelve days ago:

Mr. Jones - Counting Crows

The Seeker - The Who

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Dude couldn't even nail the opening riff for Summer of '69. Then I sang it to him. Still couldn't do it. I had him try at the fifth fret instead of open D. Nope. Couldn't get the rhythms for The Seeker. He walked all over the bass line during Billie Jean. :facepalm

We played through most of these twice. Train wreck. "Do you have something you know really well that we could play?" Two minutes later and he suggests Green River by CCR. He missed the main riffs. Then we tried Last Dance with Mary Jane. He almost knew it.

On the upside, we have a very nice demo of the thee of us as long as I render the tracks without guitar...

Yeah, that sounds like a complete waste of everyone's time. Aren't auditions fun?

• Members

We have been having the same sort of luck with our singer auditions up until this week. Luckily our current guy is sticking around till we find the right guy.

We gave all of our auditions 6 songs (various genres since we do a wide rage of music) then said pick from whatever else you want from our set.

the results have been lets say less than stellar... some sucked. (yay studio magic!) Most didn't even learn HALF of the songs. and ALL skipped over the rap/r&b stuff.

A few singers we auditioned that were good had a hard time wrapping their heads around what we do... I found out at the audition some never even seen us live!!! I think they looked at our full schedule saw dollar signs and said LET ME TRY OUT! Uggh. How can you NOT go see the band you are auditioning for when they are LOCAL and play EVERY WEEK????

We did find someone this week that came in with stuff learned and was able to sing too! WOW what a concept. Yes Auditions blow.

• Members
We have been having the same sort of luck with our singer auditions up until this week. Luckily our current guy is sticking around till we find the right guy.

We gave all of our auditions 6 songs (various genres since we do a wide rage of music) then said pick from whatever else you want from our set.

the results have been lets say less than stellar... some sucked. (yay studio magic!) Most didn't even learn HALF of the songs. and ALL skipped over the rap/r&b stuff.

A few singers we auditioned that were good had a hard time wrapping their heads around what we do... I found out at the audition some never even seen us live!!! I think they looked at our full schedule saw dollar signs and said LET ME TRY OUT! Uggh. How can you NOT go see the band you are auditioning for when they are LOCAL and play EVERY WEEK????

We did find someone this week that came in with stuff learned and was able to sing too! WOW what a concept. Yes Auditions blow.

No kidding. If there was a local band I wanted to join, I'd make the effort to catch them live to see what's up.

• Members

As bad as last night was, today I attended the first showing of Mad Max: Fury Road. Amazing. LOTS of car* chases. During the movie, I received a text from the bass player in the country band. My audition was moved to Monday. Stoked about that.

*When I say car, I don't mean car. They were vehicles. :smiley-lol:

• Members

Nice. Being a city boy, I can't justify a truck, let alone an SUV.

I had my audition tonight with the country band. I used a kit owned one of the guitar player since I only have an electronic kit. It was nothing fancy, but I was able to keep a beat and play a nice fill from time to time. That is, once we stopped the kick drum from sliding away. There was no rug underneath and the floor was wood. heh

It went okay, but I'm not super confident that I'll be picked. Oh well. It was fun to play with some new people.

• Members

I had my audition tonight with the country band. I used a kit owned one of the guitar player since I only have an electronic kit.

Not to derail but I am curious since I am an E drummer... what E kit do you use?

• Members

Not to derail but I am curious since I am an E drummer... what E kit do you use?

I've got an Alesis DM10X kit. I've been pretty happy with it. It was marked down by 20% right at the end of 2013, so the price was great.

• Members
Nice. Being a city boy, I can't justify a truck, let alone an SUV.

Shes just a small town girl, living in a lonely world...

lol.

Up up here in Canada you need 4WD. I have truck, mainly to pull my gear trailer. 4x4 is great for the winter. Love my trailer, probably my best purchase to date.

9A43708E-0414-4754-A8BF-71A63B84B395.png.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Busy as hell, between providing sound, my band and a bit of DJ'ing (and some face time with my GF) here's my schedule. Pretty much booked seady up unto November.

May 9: Prom

May 16: weekend with girlfriend

May 23: UNBOOKED WEEKEND

May 30: bar gig

June 6: bar gig

June 12: bar gig

June 20: my band - private party

June 21: my band - Rotary in the Park

June 27: bar gig

July 1-4: weekend with GF

July 5: bar gig

July 11: bar gig

July 17: festival sound

July 19: festival open mic

July 24/25: sound for rodeo dances

July 31 - Aug 2: weekend with GF

Aug 8: wedding DJ

Aug 14/15: light rig gig for small festival

Aug 22: my band - wedding

Aug 29: UNBOOKED WEEKEND!!!

Sept 5: my band - wedding

Sept 12 - 14: weekend with GF

Sept 19: wedding DJ

Sept 25/26: my band, bar gig

Oct 3: go see The Who

Oct 10: bar gigs

Oct 16/17: my band bar gigs

Oct 25: my band - private party

Oct 31: my band - halloweeeen

Dec 5: my band - Xmas party

Dec 31: my band NYE

• Members

Oy vey, this month is tight. Besides weekly rehearsals with 5 bands (!). I had that gig last Sunday, I'll be playing with two bands on Saturday at a multiband benefit, helping out, supplying amps, and playing at a benefit on Sunday. Three sound gigs this month. Another playing gig on the 28th. Oh, and every Thursday afternoon playing the farmer's market down the street from me (actually is really the weekly rehearsal for one of those bands). So nine playing gigs this month total - even one paying :facepalm: - Woo!

• Members
Oy vey, this month is tight. Besides weekly rehearsals with 5 bands (!). I had that gig last Sunday, I'll be playing with two bands on Saturday at a multiband benefit, helping out, supplying amps, and playing at a benefit on Sunday. Three sound gigs this month. Another playing gig on the 28th. Oh, and every Thursday afternoon playing the farmer's market down the street from me (actually is really the weekly rehearsal for one of those bands). So nine playing gigs this month total - even one paying :facepalm: - Woo!

HOLY CRAP FIVE BANDS?????

thats crazy!!

• Members
HOLY CRAP FIVE BANDS????? thats crazy!!
Yep wink.png .

Nine piece R&B w/ two sax players, harmonica, keys etc. (Gigs once month) .

Four piece Woodstock era folk rock and originals (going on hiatus after two gigs this weekend, BL needs surgery :( )

Five piece Blues w/ harmonica (Might never get past the couple dozen songs point).

A folk/jazz duo I sit in on Cajon with. (Pretty casual, they mostly gig as a duo)

New one this Monday - trio (so far?) surf/blues/whatever. Very experience guys, awesome drummer - and the lead singer/guitarist/keyboardist left a band because they wouldn't learn anything new after 4 years, plus he's actually interested in relearning the "right way" the songs go after suffering through the typical "our way never the same way twice". He even got "Folsom Prison" right the first try after I pointed out that it's NOT a 12 bar blues biggrin.gif. (It's 11 bars in case anyone cares, which most don't frown.gif ) .

• Members

6.5 month report from Orlando. Things going extremely well!! MUCH better than I expected! I'm gigging a lot and it's all private events, EPCOT/Universal or Hotels. NO BARS!!..In the past 3 weeks I've made $4K doing production, sound, playing solo acoustic, lead guitar, and lead vox/acoustic in a band. I couldn't be happier! Our standard of living is immensely improved and there's so much opportunity in this town for me with my connections that keep building there's no reason to think this is just the beginning. VERY VERY cool!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Been pretty busy. Maiden tribute band, sound for parts of a local music festival, and a 2 night rodeo dance this weekend. First off: maiden tribute band. The drummer grew up here. Got to use my full light rig in the bar, the manager loved it!

​good band singer was pretty good, he's no Bruce Dickinson, but he was good! They played a single 2.5 hour set. This video was the last song of the night!

• Members

Next was our local music festival. I provided sound on Thursday, the day before it begins. They load trailers in on Thursday to cut down on some of the traffic on Friday. There were supposed to be 2 bands but one had to cancel. So the gu who played did the guitar/kick drum/snare drum thing. He played for a couple hours so it was pretty good. Rained the whole time though.

• Members

So the festival went on, fri sat & Sunday. Main stage ends around 8 on Sunday. Then I host an open mic that kicks off at 8pm and it ran until 4:30am. Always a good time! This group started the night, they were members from different bands.

• Members

Our drummer was there for the night, but tragically our bass player couldn't get Monday off of work so he was unable to make it. He played drums for a few performers. I sat in on bass here & there as well. This guy is the singer in a band, good guy and was a lot of fun. This was around the 3am mark.

We found a bass player and we finished the night, about an hour and a half pulling songs out of the hat. Too many to name, it was a good time!!

Archived