So much talent so few "paying" venues

steve mac

• Members

Last night me and the missus went out with our esteemed moderator DaddyMac and his lovely wife to a blues jam in LA . Whilst it was a great night I find it so frustrating that such quality musicians have so few opportunities to get regular paying work. Almost any other country would be grateful to showcase them. Having said that so good to watch folk at the top of their game doing it with love. Oh and DaddyMack, I don't know why you are commenting on the other thread about what microphone you use when you actually don't need one 😀

• Members

We're pretty fortunate here... There's a couple local fellows that have made good in the music industry and they're giving to the community by promoting local artists of all types... It's been in the works for a couple of years now no generating some steam... Lots of new venues opening up and one of the youngsters from our open mic/mentoring gig got signed a couple months ago and they are in the studio now working up tracks for their first album...

• Members

It's exactly what's needed. I am fortunate enough to travel a lot and everywhere I go I seek out live music venues and almost without exception they are packed with enthusiastic crowds even when the acts aren't all that. Surely it makes good financial sense for owner/managers to incorporate talented entertainers.

• Moderators

Sadly, the LA market is all about trendiness...and the only way they can keep that going is hiring DJs, who can 'play' the 'hot hits' immediately. Blues-centric clubs here are folding daily...and pay to play is all too common. I am in the process of trying to put a 'showcase' night deal together, fronting a new band, where we would also have acoustic sets by myself and other players, as well as the band starting a set 'unplugged'. I'm not certain there will be a market for this, but some people I have discussed it with seem to think so. We shall see.

Tonight I will stick an acoustic guitar in SteveMac's lap and see what he sounds like...I already scred him and his wife at the blues jam...

and, yeah, I learned from a lady named Mickey Champion about not using a mic to sing the blues, I had the pleasure of backing her up a few times, she was one of a kind and her absence from the local blues scene was a harbinger of the club closures. She is missed!

I can't do that 'no mic' thing all night, the way she could, but I can toss it out there when I feel it will work.

Archived