Question about small external mixers into a powered p.a

• Members

Here ya go, from Amazon, in the U.K. They have three left at 100 pound-Sterling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-3034334-3696337?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=Soundcraft+Notepad+124FX&x=17&y=19

Cheers for the link. This one isn't the fx model though, the one that does say it's the fx model is misleading, apparently some misinformation in the discription going by the first reviewer.

So the plan was to hear from the dealer today and get you guyses opinion on the alto zephyr 112fx, and decide which one to go for. Since friday, all the sites i had looked at on friday, and had the soundcraft 124fx in the basket, now have the item listed as out of stock and discontinued :(

There are 2 sites that still have it in stock, but not at a great price.

The search continues...............

Thanks again for all the suggestions/help/advice guys it's greatly appreciated, and apologies for this thread cropping up once again :facepalm:

Edit:

What about this:

http://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/yamaha-mg82cx.html?___store=default

• Members

I love my MG82CX - I've even had 6 mics plus a guitar direct into it using three "Y" cords
:freak:
. I have the mic stand mount for it too which is useful on small stages.

Great! Glad to hear of an owner of one here vouch for it. :thu:

Speaking of connections, i have yet another noobish question, maybe you will know the answer?

As i intend to use this mixer through my Fender Passport to achieve more inputs, can i hook it up like the following:

Have the 'L' main out of the MG into one channel of the passport, and pan the passport channel all the way to the left. Then have the 'R' main out connected into a second channel of the passport, pan the second channel all the way to right. Would that then allow me to pan from the MG on any channel without any problems? Also would i then be able to benefit from the stereo fx (delays and such)?

Apologies if this is ridiculous, im just trying to get my head around the set up. Been reading the manual online :)

• Members

Beware of level matching however. I think you are talking about a line level output into a mic level input and I don't think the passport can handle line level even with the channel turned way down. There may also be a big noise penalty.

Be sure any phantom power is turned off (if it has such) or you run the risk of damaging the mixer driving it.

The smart solution would be to drive the output of the mixer into a pasive DI (one for left and one for right) and then use the resulting mic level signals into the passport. That way you won't need to worry about phantom power, level matching or ground loops.

• Members

Beware of level matching however. I think you are talking about a line level output into a mic level input and I don't think the passport can handle line level even with the channel turned way down. There may also be a big noise penalty.

Be sure any phantom power is turned off (if it has such) or you run the risk of damaging the mixer driving it.

The smart solution would be to drive the output of the mixer into a pasive DI (one for left and one for right) and then use the resulting mic level signals into the passport. That way you won't need to worry about phantom power, level matching or ground loops.

Thanks for the response/input guys. Here's where we are at now, I went into the dealers yesterday, brought down the passport a coupla mics and the acoustic.

Turns out the wrong item came into the store, it was the mg102c instead of the mg82cx :( No worries though, i was more interested in how to make the connections and hear it all working through the passport. We used an MG124c that was already set up.

Here's how it was hooked up:

The Stereo outs from the MG went into a stereo input channel on the passport. Turns out the stereo channel on the passport is line level :idk:

This was done using a stereo Y cable type thingy. The 2 1/4" jack ends were put in the L & R outs of the MG, the other end of the cable is 1 1/4" jack going into the stereo input on the passport. All seemed to work and sound great! Fx and all!

Now i just need to wait on the right unit coming into the store and its game on. Does this set up seem safe?

Im gonna go try and find some pics......

Archived