Question about small external mixers into a powered p.a

• Members

Hello there!

Apologies, I usually frequent the HC electric guitars forum, but i need the experts for this one :)

Hopefully someone can give me some advice?

I have just recently purchased an old used Fender Passport PD-250 which i have used for a coulpe of gigs now (acoustic duo) and it does the job just fine. This acoustic duo gig has now turned into us hosting a regular acoustic open mic night.

My problem is, the PD250 has 4 channels + 2 stereo, however i have recently found that channel 4 does not work :( both the xlr and jack inputs dont produce any sound. They have done before, it's kind of inconsistant, which means i cant rely on it in a gig situation.

A likely scenario at the open mic could be 2 guitars and 2 vox maybe even 3!?!?!

Anyway....... I've hear of people running a smaller mixer through one channel on a p.a. to give more inputs. There is a Yamaha MG10/2 for sale on my local ads for

• Members

You can connect the mono (or likely left or right) output of the Yamaha MG into a channel of your Passport. It will be line level signal so be careful with your gain staging. You might find it easier to hook everything to the Yamaha mixer and just use the one channel from the passport.

• Members

What can connect the mono (or likely left or right) output of the Yamaha MG into a channel of your Passport. It will be line level signal so be careful with your gain staging. You might find it easier to hook everything to the Yamaha mixer and just use the one channel from the passport.

Hey Flanc, thanks for your response.

That's a good point, from what i can see, the out's are a headphone jack, St out (+4db) CR out (+4db) Rec out (rca?) would they all be bad news?

Thanks again :thu:

• Members

The ST out is the main out of the mixer. Just connect connect the left or right ST out to one channel of the Passport. Make sure everything is panned straight up (center) on your channels. If you pan a channel away from the ST out you used, you'll obviously have issues. To be safe...keep the panning straight-up.

Yamaha_mg102.jpg

• Members

The ST out is the main out of the mixer. Just connect connect the left or right ST out to one channel of the Passport. Make sure everything is panned straight up (center) on your channels. If you pan a channel away from the ST out you used, you'll obviously have issues. To be safe...keep the panning straight-up.

Perfect Flanc! Thanks a bunch :)

Just to clarify; The panning should be centered on just the yamaha right? Or just the passport? Or both?

Thanks again, i Just wanted to make sure it was safe, love the passport, the one i have is old, so i didn't want to risk any damage to it, and couldn't afford to buy a new one if i killed it.

Great stuff! :thu:

• Members

On the Yamaha if you are only connection the L or R into the Passport. If you only connect the Left main out...anything panned to the right would be weakened in signal strength relative to how far it is panned. For a gig as you've described, I'd see little value in stereo imaging so I would have everything (passport and Yamaha) panned center.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bump!

Apologies for bumping the old thread, the yamaha mixer i was looking at didn't work out. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Cheapest solution is what im after. Same idea as the yamaha, about 4 channels an eq would be a bonus. Bearing in mind, i was only considering the yamaha as it was used and almost half the price of new.

• Members

I have a bigger brother of this guy, and it's worked flawlessly for me -
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPV6

I was looking at that one last night on the peavey site. Also looks perfect! If i could find a used one im sorted!

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions guys :thu: Much appreciated.

Now........ onto another stupid question......... I would be willing to pay a little more if any of these units (or similar units) came with a usable onboard reverb or 2?

Reason being, the onboard reverb on the passport, isn't that great. I know what i should probably do is get rid of the passport, and start again with another system, but boy do i love the portability of the passport. I don't mind adding in a small mixer and chucking it in a bag, but now im also looking to add an fx unit on the cheap. I don't want to end up lugging around more than i need to ya know? More units = more cables and power points i want to keep it as simple as possible, but on a budget.

It's the classic; 'i want everything, but im not willing to pay the price for it' :facepalm:

• Members

Ok i Found these guys here:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-mg-82-cx/7914

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Behringer-Xenyx-1202FX~ID~4927.asp

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/alesis-multimix-8-usb-fx/42590

Should any of these be avoided for any reason? Am i missing a similar unit that does all this around the same price?

Edit: Found another one! :

http://www.sounds4uentertainment.co.uk/alto-zephry-zmx122fx-mixer-5488-p.asp

• Members

Ok Guys, this may be the one:

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Behringer-Xenyx-1202FX~ID~4927.asp

Seems to have decent reviews.

I think this is the last noob question....

The above mixer is not powered, that is still cool to run through one channel on the passport right? I don't need any other additional equipment other than a cable right?

If it's all good im gonna go buy it today and i'll let y'all know how i get on with it when it gets here.

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate all your advice :thu:

• Members

In my (very limited) experience, steer clear of Behringer. We started our PA career with one and quickly learned through reliability problems that it was not worth spending money on. Yamaha seem to be a quality brand, and although I have no experience with that specific mixer, if it were my money, I would happily spend the extra to have the expectation of a better quality product.

• Members

In my (very limited) experience, steer clear of Behringer. We started our PA career with one and quickly learned through reliability problems that it was not worth spending money on. Yamaha seem to be a quality brand, and although I have no experience with that specific mixer, if it were my money, I would happily spend the extra to have the expectation of a better quality product.

Now that you mention it, im starting to find some more bad reviews after digging deeper. Overall it seems to have good reviews, especially on zz sounds - maybe they are a big behringer dealer?

I do remember the behringer name as being somewhat tainted with cheapy/inferior/unreliable labels back in the day. But i may well just risk it yet :facepalm: ill keep y'all posted........

• Members

One Last Contender:

This could be the one? :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/soundcraft-notepad-124-mixer

Much more than i intended to spend, but if it covers my fx, extra channels, and has a better name behind it, it could be a winner. My local dealer has them in stock too apparently, so i may get an even better price :thu:

• Members

One Last Contender:

This could be the one? :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/soundcraft-notepad-124-mixer

Much more than i intended to spend, but if it covers my fx, extra channels, and has a better name behind it, it could be a winner. My local dealer has them in stock too apparently, so i may get an even better price
:thu:

That one has no FX. The one you want is this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/soundcraft-notepad-124fx-mixer-with-effects

Louis

• Members

My newest small mixer is that Soundcraft Notepad 124FX, and having lived with it for a while now, I really like it. I got mine online, form Musicians' Friend's eBay store, and payed $99. "on sale". At that price, it was a steal.

Having said that, I prefer my Soundcraft EFX-8, which is not a whole lot bigger, has faders vs knobs,and has a built-in power-supply.

• Members

Just a technical question: is there any particular advantage/disadvantage to plugging both sides of a submixer's master stereo outs into the left and right 1/4" inputs of one of a main mixer's stereo channels (rather than just taking the left out and plugging into one of the mono channels)?

Louis

• Members

Just a technical question: is there any particular advantage/disadvantage to plugging both sides of a submixer's master stereo outs into the left and right 1/4" inputs of one of a main mixer's stereo channels (rather than just taking the left out and plugging into one of the mono channels)?

Louis

None, unless of course, you're running a stereo mix from the main mixer.

I recently hooked up my 124FX to an AER Compact 60/2, and ran mono (mix L) to the AER's FX return, preserving the AER's two main inputs (Ch1 and 2) for guitar and vocals.

• Members

My newest small mixer is that Soundcraft Notepad 124FX, and having lived with it for a while now, I really like it. I got mine online, form Musicians' Friend's eBay store, and payed $99. "on sale". At that price, it was a steal.

Having said that, I prefer my Soundcraft EFX-8, which is not a whole lot bigger, has faders vs knobs,and has a built-in power-supply.

Glad to read from someone who owns one vouch for it. That's good enough for me. The Efx8 looks awesome, just outta my budget unfotunately.

I called my dealers today, turns out they dont have the 124fx one in stock, so should be about a week :)

Thanks again Y'all! :thu:

• Members

None, unless of course, you're running a stereo mix from the main mixer.

I recently hooked up my 124FX to an AER Compact 60/2, and ran mono (mix L) to the AER's FX return, preserving the AER's two main inputs (Ch1 and 2) for guitar and vocals.

Thanks, Bobby! I do something similar with a ZED10fx and a Genz Benz ProLT--into the Aux input. A little bulkier, but same idea. When I use the ZED as a submixer into my Yorkville powered mixer, I've been going into a stereo channel with both the left and right master outs, but I guess that's not really necessary.

L.

Archived