"Uptown Funk": who is covering this song?

New Trail

• Members
Guido (and any other keyboardists out there) does your band play this? Mind if I ask how you do the ascending keyboards in the part that goes:

'Cause uptown funk gon' give it to you

Saturday night and we in the spot

Don't believe me just watch (come on)

I have a Yamaha MX49 but I'm a guitarist. Just wondering if I wanted to overlay that part how would you do it, because there doesn't seem to be a patch that does that.

Isn't it just the "bend wheel"? I think that's what our keyboard player is doing. His sounds just like it. Just get a patch that holds the note, find the notes for the initial sound and bend it.

• Members

Isn't is just the "bend wheel". I think that's what our keyboard player is doing. His sounds just like it. Just get a patch that holds the note, find the notes for the initial sound and bend it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

• Members

I have a little M-Audio Venom off to the side that I use primarily for weird sounds like this. I use a patch with a nice "aggressive" tone (for lack of a better word), put a good degree of portamento on it, start on the root note of the chord (is it "A"? Can't remember off the top of my head) and glissando up a couple of octaves.

• Members

I have a Yamaha MX49 but I'm a guitarist. Just wondering if I wanted to overlay that part how would you do it, because there doesn't seem to be a patch that does that.

Hey, I'm not really familiar with that board, but I know it has a lot of the same sounds as the Motif so try this:

You've got a patch over in your Synth Lead/Dance section called "BigHookLD1" I've got one on my board called "BigSkidHookLead1" I'm gonna guess it's pretty much the same patch with just a different name to accommodate the smaller screen size on the MX49.

Now I think you might have to use the computer editor software to adjust this parameter, but if you can get in there and set the "portamento" to about 118, then you should be good to go. It's a free download on the Yamaha website if you don't already have it.

Press down on the low D, and then right after hit the D note 2 octaves up and you should get the effect you want. If it doesn't start low enough, you might have to adjust the octave of the low D accordingly.

Not exactly the patch on the record, but close enough for live rock n roll.

• Members

Isn't it just the "bend wheel"? I think that's what our keyboard player is doing. His sounds just like it. Just get a patch that holds the note, find the notes for the initial sound and bend it.

I use a single note and assigned the envelope to pitch, so when you press the key, the pitch rises up.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Horn players can often read fly poop - although in the above video, it looks like everyone can.

I played Uptown Funk in a band at Italian Days, this summer. The sax player read the chart cold - no rehearsal. Well actually so did I, but he played it flawlessly where I was just holding on by the seat of my pants. The only other time I've ever played this tune was at a kiddie bar - no chart. I basically remembered it from the last time (again there was no rehearsal). The keyboard player sang, played keys and played key bass on it - impressed the heck out of me!

IMO the tune works great in kiddie bars where they like all the "neo disco" stuff..We actually ended with Uptown Funk and it was a big hit. Good commercial dance tune but it's much more complicated than say, Moves Like Jagger, which goes over as well or better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
[video=vimeo;136568478]

I used ours for a quick gig promo!

Has always made me so jealous how you get so much great crowd footage, Grant. I've never got anyone I can hand off a camera to and get anything decent.

But I'm glad you're posting again because it DOES remind me I've gotta step up my game...

• Members

Has always made me so jealous how you get so much great crowd footage, Grant. I've never got anyone I can hand off a camera to and get anything decent.

But I'm glad you're posting again because it DOES remind me I've gotta step up my game...

Well thanks... to start I have 5 years experience filming hundreds of live shows... I now have a 3 camera setup that I can set and forget.... but the best thing in this new band is that we have an enthusastic stagehand who loves filming and has a great eye. It took him a few shows with a little mentoring and the kid delivers again and again.

He loves being in front and behind the camera.

[video=vimeo;140124235]

Archived