Monitor board----------again

• Members

Couldyou link to it? Or if you're afraid of getting scooped could you find a picture? I'll look as well.

I had a Peavey monitor board back in the nineties (can't remember the model just know what it looks like). At that time it seemed "everybody" had one. It was 16 x 6 and had a splitter. Nice features, okay EQ but IIRC they all had (and I probably saw 15 or 20 of them) iffy pots. And I recall sends and channels going down as well. Mine was in a case and had no issues but I don't think the majority took abuse, or even normal wear and tear well. But I'm not sure that's the same board and perhaps later/earlier runs didn't have those issues, and of course YMMV.

• Members

If it's an RQ and not an old MKIII then it's going to have 48v phantom, mutes and pfl, inserts on ch 1-8 and a main L+R so in can do FOH in a pinch or side fills. Quite the update from the old board. Not sure on reliability history.... IMHO if everything works 300 bones isn't bad. Last one I could find on ebay went for about that when you added in shipping.

• Members

The Mk III sucked for reliability, the Mk IV was much better and had a transformer isolated splitter too. They were discontinued ~20 years ago.

If that's the case, then I think the boards I saw were the MKIII.

I bought mine used and do remember hearing they were being discontinued. I hadn't thought about that board in years, or the other gear on the old "Rent Rock" circuit. Around here, there was usually a Martin three way FOH, EV 1202 or 1502FM monitors, Yamaha EQ's for monitors, old BGW or the then new Carver amps, Soundcraft boards, Roland and Yamaha effects and that lone Peavey product doing monitor duty. - unless of course there was a CS800 in the monitor amp rack.

• Members

I used one in the mid '80s, and currently have another md 16x6 monitor board. I've never had any problems with either board operationally. The xlr throughputs work fine, as do the channel matrices. The only real complaint on the board is that there is not real input overdrive indicator. The led ladders are only for output, so setting gain on the channel inputs is an exercise in guessing. Also, they are somewhat large considering only 16 channels.

Archived