How do you describe 'WARM SOUND' in your own words?

• Members

As has already been pointed out, "warm" is a subjective thing. I've always equated warm with nice pleasent bottom end and lower mids, with just the right amount of hf to provide definition. This doesn't mean "boomy" or "muddy" (two more subjective words) which to me means too much or uneven low freq response (big bottom peaks).

Just to illustrate how subjective these terms can be. I had a performer tell me her monitor needed more "presence". I kept adding upper mids (4k-5k and later 2k-3k). She was still not happy. Finaly her road manager (also the drummer) came over and whispered, "add sone 125hz" and flatten back out the top end. Suddenly, she was thrilled at the sound. This performer thought of "presence" as what I'd probably have called "warmth". There you have it. Terms like these are subjectivly what you make of them.

Another way to look at "warm" is like the emotion of warmth (as in intimate). When you feel like the singer (or sometimes instrumentalist) is relaxed and making music just for you.

just a few more thoughts to jumble up already messy human perception :-).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

amazing input from you folks! I showed all your comments to my friends...and they asked " Wow...who are these people??"

That's right - Harmony Central Live Sound Production. the Real Deal.

But remember - the real key to "warm sound" is to make it sound "British".

• Members

Two British "warm" things that come to mind are "EQ", and their Beer.
;)

Britain's Got Talent judge, Amanda Holden on the other hand,,,, is "HOT" ( sssssssssiiiizzzzzzzzllllllle)

http://www.officialamandaholden.com/

Well - yes - it was the British EQ I was thinking of - you're right. I used to like Guiness - which is from Ireland I guess (isn't that really a part of Britain??). But - then someone bought me an Old Rasputin - and (fickle me) - I am "done" with Guiness (I mean it's alright if they don't have any Rasputin I guess -).

Now - Amanda Holden - I had never heard of her - but thanks for the introduction - but I'm getting mixed messages from her web site. Is she the "girl next door" - or some high priced hooker?? (I like thinking about girls in those backless dresses - but I am not always %100 sure they would "like" me thnkng about them the "way" I am??)

All the best to you 1Note!

• Members

Two British "warm" things that come to mind are "EQ", and their Beer.

Last time I checked there were over 40 different circuits, each with different results that claim to be British EQ. So really "British EQ" is to EQ as "light beer" is to beer.

• Members

Well - yes - it was the British EQ I was thinking of - you're right. I used to like Guiness - which is from Ireland I guess (isn't that really a part of Britain??). But - then someone bought me an Old Rasputin - and (fickle me) - I am "done" with Guiness (I mean it's alright if they don't have any Rasputin I guess -).

Now - Amanda Holden - I had never heard of her - but thanks for the introduction - but I'm getting mixed messages from her web site. Is she the "girl next door" - or some high priced hooker?? (I like thinking about girls in those backless dresses - but I am not always %100 sure they would "like" me thnkng about them the "way" I am??)

All the best to you 1Note!

I first saw Amanda on this now world-famous video. She's one of the judges.

I always have a few Guinness in the fridge, but I like Double Diamond and Bass Pale Ale too.

• Members

"Warm" is a slightly abused and misunderstood term - isn't it? I think it just means "good" sound. Not too much spikey treble. Rich in all applicable frequencies. Clean bottom end. Not muddy.

Of course warm guitar tone is different than warm recorded music. Sometimes "warm" acoustic guitar tone is dull and lifeless to me.

• Members

Here's another inspirational video you'll probably like. Amanda's a brunette in this one.

Yep - you "got" me again.

(Personally - I'm lowered back to "total hack" status , where I belong>). Both of those were really amazing. Even Simon Cowwell (whatever his name is) - was clapping on this one.

Thanks again for sharing.

All the best to you. (Oh Yea - Amanda looked good in this one too!)

• Members
Yep - you "got" me again.

(Personally - I'm lowered back to "total hack" status , where I belong>). Both of those were really amazing. Even Simon Cowwell (whatever his name is) - was clapping on this one.

Thanks again for sharing.

All the best to you. (Oh Yea - Amanda looked good in this one too!)

You can see Simon pulling on his ear for FOH to crank that vocal :)

• Members

Now, define British eq... what exactly is it???

(hint... it has to do primarily with marketing)

The EQ section of Marshall amp to give you that British tone.

but more inclined to believe it's more marketing catch phrase labeling to sell a products having British EQ.

• Members

But they do! I have heard that if you set them properly - they can sound "just like" British EQs would sound. You can't really say this "isn't true".

but what exactly is British eq?

I know of one specific example but it's actually attributed to American eq amongst the general public...

Archived