Hold on, I'm going out on the limb - THE BEST OD PEDAL IS -

GAS Man

• Members

The Tech 21 Sans Amp Character Series Blonde.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACSBlonde2

Okay, I know I'm looking for trouble using the superlative, but more folks need to consider this pedal. Don't just run to the TSs, Maxon, OCD, Timmy, etc. And do note, that I am being fairly specific when I'm saying "OD" as in "over drive" versus distortion. If the metal tone is where you want to go, this tone is more organic, not industrial sounding.

I've had one for a few years now. Mostly using it in my music room.

Why do I like it?

It will warm up any amp.

The "Character" knob lets you transition from black face Fender "warm" up to full growling tube rattling Tweed tones in combination with its "Drive" control. So Ventures to Ted Neugent in one pedal.

The controls are also very sensitive to minor adjustments which really allows you to tailor a tone you're looking for. Also the highly sensitive 3-band EQ knobs can tweak good tone out of a wide variety practice amps and fill out the bottom end on British voiced amps.

I think the fact that it works well going straight into a PC or PA is just an added bonus to using it as a very good OD pedal.

I don't think there's a YT vid out there that does it justice (and I don't make vids myself) but this one may give you an idea of its versatility.

• Members
The demo on Sweetwater was good. Seems like a pretty cool and versatile pedal.

Yeah, it's the range of tones that made me want to post some kudos for it. I think as a product, it gets put aside a bit too much in the "modeling" category (which is does do well), but it also simply makes a very versatile OD pedal.

It actually took a little bit to grow on me. I also bought the Oxford, California, British, Leeds and Liverpool, but the Blonde has ended up being my favorite of the bunch because of its warmth and wide range from subtlety up to full growl. (so far the California is my least favorite)

• Members
I've been wanting to pick one of these up, but to use for silent practicing and recording, not as an OD. I prefer my OD to be a bit more on the transparent side, whereas the Blonde imparts a lot of it's character to your rig.

True and a good point. I do, however, like that character it imparts. Reducing the Character knob of course lessens that, but I always do hear a "warming up" of the tone in that tweed-sort-of-way. That's a good part of the reason I gave it the kudos. smiley-wink

• Members
I don't know if I'd call the Blonde the best overdrive ever' date=' but it certainly is a very cool and useful pedal. [/quote']

I might not either, but it's fun to go out on the limb. This place may have slowed down, but it's friendlier now. In the past I would have needed the HCEG flame retardant suit. LOL

So are the Liverpool and VT Bass. .

I'd like to try the bass pedal. I play in a little neighborhood band and I think we'd all be better off if we went to modelers and a good PA system for our practice sessions. We practice in a narrow room with our individual amps and just keyboard and vocals going into the PAs. It makes getting a good balance near impossible.

• Members

The JHS Morning Glory has a really nice transparancy to it that many other pedals lack. Its my "new favorite", replacing my Zen Drive on my board, which is still a good pedal. My OCD never gets touched much. Everyone has their favorites when it comes to OD pedals. I probably have 10 OD pedals and I rarely even use pedals! The Morning Glory doesn't offer a lot of variety, but it does one thing really well.

Archived