micing an orchestra

• Members

Really depends on lot of factors, but the fact that you're asking here means you should probably hire a professional. Many indoor spaces don't require you to mic the orchestra. We do sound for five of the local orchestras. The only time we're called upon to do so is if they're playing outdoors, in an arena, or along with an amplified group.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Special J

View Post

Really depends on lot of factors, but the fact that you're asking here means you should probably hire a professional. Many indoor spaces don't require you to mic the orchestra. We do sound for five of the local orchestras. The only time we're called upon to do so is if they're playing outdoors, in an arena, or along with an amplified group.

yup!

• Members

Do you know how the two groups will be configured and situated?

I'll also echo the sentiment that less is more. When I deal with similar situations I try to use two, maybe four mics tops. Usually some SDC mics like the AT4041 or equivalent.

Are you sure you mean Rode Shotgun Compressor mic? Or do you mean condenser? Might be worth your while to list makes and models of all mics, and where they will be in relation to your Front of House speakers. Perhaps there might be more suggestions, besides the the possible suggestion of head for the hills and don't look back smile.gif

BTW, have you done something like this before, or are you the sacrificial lamb?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shaster View Post
Do you know how the two groups will be configured and situated?

I'll also echo the sentiment that less is more. When I deal with similar situations I try to use two, maybe four mics tops. Usually some SDC mics like the AT4041 or equivalent.

Are you sure you mean Rode Shotgun Compressor mic? Or do you mean condenser? Might be worth your while to list makes and models of all mics, and where they will be in relation to your Front of House speakers. Perhaps there might be more suggestions, besides the the possible suggestion of head for the hills and don't look back smile.gif

BTW, have you done something like this before, or are you the sacrificial lamb?
yes i did mean condenser. yes i have done this be for but i did not go to school for sound engineering i just picked it up by watching pros do it. this will be the second year i have done this i just want it to sound right. last year i put a mic on almost every instrument we had except if they were in groups and from what i have read that is to many mics. i can have a list of all the mics i used and can use tomorrow.

• Members

I have provided sound for chorus with orchestra accompaniment in church settings.
My advise: do not mic the orch....however, you will need to mic the chorus
I use Shure MX202B mics (three of them) for choir mic'ing with two Senn 835 mics for soloists.
(not high-end gear, but I keep getting hired back year after year....)

Orchestra's can be damn loud in church settings....expecially if it is a large old church (stone/wood).
If you feel a need to mic the Orch. for an indoor performance I would start with one mic on each side of the conductor (above his head).
This way you will amplify what the conductor hears...

Mike M

Archived