New Mixer in 2013. StudioLive or MixWiz?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger View Post
That's the plan. The prototype is currently sitting on my work bench, with my SL 24.4.2 mixer mounted in it. I'll be packing the case (including the mixer) to a sound job tomorrow.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...24_Case_FL.JPG

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...board_back.JPG

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...oard_front.JPG

We should have production models in-stock approx. the end of the year.
So what's your take on the lack of "shock protection" between the board and the case? As mentioned, IF, and we're pretty darn careful with our equipment so it's a big if, it were dropped, would it still offer adequate protection?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
So what's your take on the lack of "shock protection" between the board and the case? As mentioned, IF, and we're pretty darn careful with our equipment so it's a big if, it were dropped, would it still offer adequate protection?
Good question. I'll suggest Presonus could (or should) more-so likely offer the definitive answer than myself. I simply offer a suitably sized rack mount mixer case for their rack mount mixer.

But... the fact remains of what's a better option from a cost/benefit standpoint? Rack mount the rack mount mixer in a rack mount case, or in foam mount case? By my measurements, the SL offers approx. 1" across the top front of the work surface and approx. 1/2" across the top back of the work surface for unencumbered foam support interface, and there's almost no unencumbered foam support interface surface on the back panel jack surface for foam support interface. With that little available foam support interface surface on two of the three arguably most critical support areas, I'll suggest foam supporting those areas would likely require such rigid foam to actually properly support the mixer, in effect it would render the board being borderline rigid supported that "foam mount" case (regardless of how much foam is elsewhere).

Ideal (IMO), if weight and cost was not an issue would be a case within a case... being a rack mount case housed inside a fully foam lined outer case constructed of 1" high density plywood and a minimum of 2" of open cell foam on all surfaces... riding on 6" pneumatic wheels.

BTW: I also own a Presonus SL 16.4.2... mounted in an EWI MXC-16P case... which I've been beating over the countryside for the past 6 months or so. I haven't thrown it down a set of stairs to see how it fairs yet... but I (and numerous drunk "helpers") haven't handled it with kid gloves either... and all seems fine (the case is getting pretty ugly though... still works fine... just showing some of the road rash it's endured).

• Members

I suggest you check out the LM case for the StudioLive if you are interested. It offers protection as well as access to all connections while using it in the case. After a lot of research, it was the one I picked. It's not cheap, but I really want my gear to survive the trip and function properly at the gig.

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/R...onus/17834.pdf

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
I suggest you check out the LM case for the StudioLive if you are interested. It offers protection as well as access to all connections while using it in the case. After a lot of research, it was the one I picked. It's not cheap, but I really want my gear to survive the trip and function properly at the gig.

While I'll suggest that I'm happy that you're confident in your purchase as the tool for your job, I have checked out the LM Case website cutsheet for the StudioLive. I'll suggest that the LM represented 1/4" plywood for that case is what it is. I'll also suggest that that website represented case is seemingly not constructed as to offer your recommendation of 1" foam support for all surfaces of the mixer... but then maybe I missed something in the LM Case website cutsheet for that case. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, what was the purchase price of your case?

• Members
I'll also suggest that that website represented case is seemingly not constructed as to offer your recommendation of 1" foam support for all surfaces of the mixer... but then maybe I missed something in the LM Case website cutsheet for that case. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, what was the purchase price of your case?
I'm not sure what you mean. My case does totally inclose the case in foam
To refresh your memory from a statement you made approx. 9 hrs. ago:

I want at least an inch of foam surrounding my board.
My question is: what is the minimum compressed depth of the foam supporting any surface of your board in your case, and what is the type of foam used?

• Members
To refresh your memory from a statement you made approx. 9 hrs. ago:

My question is: what is the minimum compressed depth of the foam supporting any surface of your board in your case, and what is the type of foam used?
I have no idea! You want to relax a little? Sorry if I stepped on your marketing plan, that wasn't my intention.

• Members

I bought a rack mount case from Mark to fit a Peavey 16 FX. Great case for the money. I no longer have it or the board. I bought a used 16.4.2 that came with a case. If I was in the market for a case for it I would buy another one from Mark without hesitation. Both guitar players in my band bought amp cases from him and they are problem free after 5 years.

• Members

Damn that's a big ass case for a rack mount mixer... talking about inconvenient, wow (IMO)... and, the first time somebody steps on the top of the 1/4" material, or something takes a spill in the truck, it will be "lights out" (or at leas LED's out).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes

View Post

I have no idea! You want to relax a little? Sorry if I stepped on your marketing plan, that wasn't my intention.

If anyone needs to relax its you, dude. All he did was offer you INFORMATION and counterpoint to what you were saying. At no time did Mark in any way get amped up or did he push his marketing plan.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by modulusman View Post
I bought a rack mount case from Mark to fit a Peavey 16 FX. Great case for the money. I no longer have it or the board. I bought a used 16.4.2 that came with a case. If I was in the market for a case for it I would buy another one from Mark without hesitation. Both guitar players in my band bought amp cases from him and they are problem free after 5 years.
I too bought a mixer rack mount from Mark for my yamaha 16/6/fx, like yours, i love it, solid, and looks great, and great price.
I also bought a amp case and a briefcase from Mark as well, very happy with both of them as well, every case i buy will be from him, as a matter of fact i was planning on putting an order in this week, that has changed since i just forked out around $1500 on some pipe & drape, hopefully i can get another case or two before Christmas smile.gif

• Members

Just wanted to mention that we are using a Mix Wiz and due to the size of the rack have the plug-in console tucked underneath. It has not been an issue so far. We have everything labeled well - not just the faders but underneith at the plugin points also. We don't have a sound man so each band member plugs his own gear in at setup.

• Members
Good question. I'll suggest Presonus could (or should) more-so likely offer the definitive answer than myself. I simply offer a suitably sized rack mount mixer case for their rack mount mixer.

But... the fact remains of what's a better option from a cost/benefit standpoint? Rack mount the rack mount mixer in a rack mount case, or in foam mount case? By my measurements, the SL offers approx. 1" across the top front of the work surface and approx. 1/2" across the top back of the work surface for unencumbered foam support interface, and there's almost no unencumbered foam support interface surface on the back panel jack surface for foam support interface. With that little available foam support interface surface on two of the three arguably most critical support areas, I'll suggest foam supporting those areas would likely require such rigid foam to actually properly support the mixer, in effect it would render the board being borderline rigid supported that "foam mount" case (regardless of how much foam is elsewhere).

Ideal (IMO), if weight and cost was not an issue would be a case within a case... being a rack mount case housed inside a fully foam lined outer case constructed of 1" high density plywood and a minimum of 2" of open cell foam on all surfaces... riding on 6" pneumatic wheels.

BTW: I also own a Presonus SL 16.4.2... mounted in an EWI MXC-16P case... which I've been beating over the countryside for the past 6 months or so. I haven't thrown it down a set of stairs to see how it fairs yet... but I (and numerous drunk "helpers") haven't handled it with kid gloves either... and all seems fine (the case is getting pretty ugly though... still works fine... just showing some of the road rash it's endured).
Thank you for the response Mark. I agree with Aged that the other case that was mentioned is one big honkin' case, while yours seams pretty streamlined to fit the board more efficiently.

It also doesn't look like the unit is actually fastened down inside the (foam type) case, am I right? Just the foam holding it in place?? Although I could see the possibility of added shock protection this way...I really don't like the idea of the mixer not being secured down inside the case.

I like your case Mark and we may end up going this route...the only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not we want to get one with a doghouse. I'm not sure how those are typically constructed to be honest, but I do know that we really want to try to keep the footprint down as much as possible. Does adding a doghouse to a case of this type add a lot of size and/or weight to the overall package? And do you make a case of this type?

• Members
the only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not we want to get one with a doghouse. I'm not sure how those are typically constructed to be honest, but I do know that we really want to try to keep the footprint down as much as possible. Does adding a doghouse to a case of this type add a lot of size and/or weight to the overall package? And do you make a case of this type?
I don't offer cases with doghouses... Because:

IMO: A doghouse's primary purpose is to house mass connector equipped snake fantails... so the operator can leave the snake fantails permanently attached to the board. Good quality mass connectors are generally big bucks (hundreds of $$$ per mating pair assembled on a snake). I sell small format board cases... mostly 16ch. My hunch is that many, possibly most 16ch. board operators can't justify investing hundreds of dollars in mass disconnects for their snake... sure, many (including myself) would possibly prefer to have mass disconnects on our snake, but just can't justify the cost for the convenience.

• Members
I don't offer cases with doghouses... Because:

IMO: A doghouse's primary purpose is to house mass connector equipped snake fantails... so the operator can leave the snake fantails permanently attached to the board. Good quality mass connectors are generally big bucks (hundreds of $$$ per mating pair assembled on a snake). I sell small format board cases... mostly 16ch. My hunch is that many, possibly most 16ch. board operators can't justify investing hundreds of dollars in mass disconnects for their snake... sure, many (including myself) would possibly prefer to have mass disconnects on our snake, but just can't justify the cost for the convenience.
Hmm...maybe I'm not up on my lingo facepalm.gificon_lol.gif

I was talking about (whatever it's called) the 'shelf' that comes attached and sort of folds up and out so one can utilize a laptop with the setup without a separate table.

Or perhaps the best solution for something of this size is to keep it separate...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Looking to pull the plug on the SL 16.4.2 today. Wondering if it's necessary to run a power conditioner of some sort with this board. Currently we don't run one...so we'd have to tack that onto our purchase.

Also, based on this case which is probably the one we're going to go with, something that isn't rack mount type would be best, as this case doesn't allow a space for it.

• Members
Looking to pull the plug on the SL 16.4.2 today. Wondering if it's necessary to run a power conditioner of some sort with this board. Currently we don't run one...so we'd have to tack that onto our purchase.

Also, based on this case which is probably the one we're going to go with, something that isn't rack mount type would be best, as this case doesn't allow a space for it.
LOL, I think you mean "pull the trigger". Although some will swear by running a UPS (not really a power conditioner, but a battery backup) I wouldn't worry about myself. I've ran my SL for 4 yrs and over 200 shows and I've never had any power issues with it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
LOL, I think you mean "pull the trigger". Although some will swear by running a UPS (not really a power conditioner, but a battery backup) I wouldn't worry about myself. I've ran my SL for 4 yrs and over 200 shows and I've never had any power issues with it.
icon_lol.giffacepalm.gif yeah that's what I meant. For the record I left for my office without my coffee this morning!!

Thanks for the input.

• Members

We're getting this board locally from a guy I know and like and who's opinion I respect.

He recommends this case. Opinions please!! Not sure which one would be better. This one is a foam fit, but it looks like all the connections would be hard to get to...although the guy says no need to remove it from the case to use. Not sure how that would work...

• Members

Before buying a case think about your needs. If you have a trailer and gig regularly, have some wireless microphones or other rack mount stuff then I'd highly recommend a rolling case. This way everything is pre-wired. We even make sub snakes for the edrums, keys, guitar rig and lead vocal/harmonizer. Everyone locates the end of their snake, which is already connected to the mixer, and takes it to where they are on stage.

Otherwise, as far as that case goes, it seems reasonably priced and from the picture looks OK as far as not horrible hardware. That's probably as cheap as you'll find for a 1/2 decent case.

• Members
We're getting this board locally from a guy I know and like and who's opinion I respect.

He recommends this case. Opinions please!! Not sure which one would be better. This one is a foam fit, but it looks like all the connections would be hard to get to...although the guy says no need to remove it from the case to use. Not sure how that would work...
So it's made for the SL16 and yet they don't show it pictured with it to see how it would function....
I am sure it's probably fine, but if it were me I would get the case Mark has.
You can see how it is going to function with the pictures Mark has...with the Mixer installed...and, the mixer is actually screwed down in Marks case.
I own a bunch of cases and racks from Mark, for the typical weekend warrior user his products and service will meet and exceed your needs with ease.

Archived