New Mixer in 2013. StudioLive or MixWiz?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22 View Post
Growing pains. I really liked my PowerMax16, it sounded great. But I found 12XLR inputs to be more and more limiting. Looked around at a few different passive mixers. Found some info on the StudioLives. I liked the 16, but it was only 4 more channels. I didn't want 16 to be the new limit, so I went for the SL24. 16 months later, if I had to do it all over I'd do the exact same thing.

thumb.gif
I thought about the 24...but the size and price tag vs. what our setup looks like is just not worth the cost. Our current setup only uses 11 xlr channels and currently an RCA input for our DJ laptop or iPod.

Down the line, if (and that's a BIG ass if...) we add 1-2 more vocalists and a keyboard player, we'll still have the room with the 16.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes

View Post

If you can get them to provide an upgrade that allows control of channel input gain and aux channel level remotely with the iPod app, I will send you a check!wink.gif

Unfortunately both are physical hardware controls, not software (they have direct control over the signal). It can't happen unless they motorize the pots or change them to encoders. The faders are already encoders and to not control the signal path directly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by srp72ee

View Post

Unfortunately both are physical hardware controls, not software (they have direct control over the signal). It can't happen unless they motorize the pots or change them to encoders. The faders are already encoders and to not control the signal path directly.

Yep... Makes you wonder if they initially intended ipad control. My guess is no since the mixer was developed "pre-ipad". It certainly seems like something they could change for an updated version of the board though, along with USB3 connectivity maybe. That won't make the current users happy, but they'd sell more boards.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd

View Post

Yep... Makes you wonder if they initially intended ipad control. My guess is no since the mixer was developed "pre-ipad". It certainly seems like something they could change for an updated version of the board though, along with USB3 connectivity maybe. That won't make the current users happy, but they'd sell more boards.

I agree. And once they put the USB interface in, they could make a port to insert a thumb drive to back up everything from a single channels' settings to cloning the entire board. And the list goes on...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by srp72ee

View Post

Yeah, I know. That's why I made my "generous" offer!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes

View Post

Yeah, I know. That's why I made my "generous" offer!

I guess I should ask how much you're paying. I could just stand next to you and you could say "go turn up channel 5 a touch". If the price is right I'll even throw in "motorized" faders.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by abzurd View Post
I guess I should ask how much you're paying. I could just stand next to you and you could say "go turn up channel 5 a touch". If the price is right I'll even throw in "motorized" faders.

Wow - voice recognition!

• Members

OK one more question for the team here, what do you guys think of this case for the SL? It looks basically perfect for what we want...no need for any rack spaces or anything for extra stuff now, right??? Compact and fitting. And for a pretty good price compared to what I've seen out there...$220 including shipping.

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...cutsheet.shtml

Good buy? Anything else to consider??

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
OK one more question for the team here, what do you guys think of this case for the SL? It looks basically perfect for what we want...no need for any rack spaces or anything for extra stuff now, right??? Compact and fitting. And for a pretty good price compared to what I've seen out there...$220 including shipping.

If it's anywhere near the quality (and I'm sure that it is) of the MixWiz case, it's a good deal.

• Members

That case provides no shock protection. The mixer bolts to the rack ears without any cushioning and sits directly on the hard surface. I want at least an inch of foam surrounding my board. If that case falls over or is dropped you could be wishing you brought a backup!

LM makes a nice case that offers excellent protection, but as always, you get what you pay for.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
That case provides no shock protection. The mixer bolts to the rack ears without any cushioning and sits directly on the hard surface. I want at least an inch of foam surrounding my board. If that case falls over or is dropped you could be wishing you brought a backup!

LM makes a nice case that offers excellent protection, but as always, you get what you pay for.
freak.gif

Now I'm scared...more opinions?

I didn't even know they made cases with insulating foam...our current mixer rack case is similar to this, but with rack space on the bottom...

• Members

I didn't even know they made cases with insulating foam

I have never seen a professional mixer case without it! There seems to be a lot gear out there with the appearance of pro quality (think DJ) without the real features and protection needed to make sure your gears works when you get to the job.

• Members

With reasonably careful handling and a solidly constructed mixer, the protection of the rack rail type mixer-racks is fine... BUT I do not know the quality and mechanical robustness of the SL construction. I have about 30 or so portable racks that I have fabricated using either Crest XR series or A&H MixWiz series products without a single failure in maybe 8 years. The Mackie 1604VLZ's were not quite as lucky however.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
With reasonably careful handling and a solidly constructed mixer, the protection of the rack rail type mixer-racks is fine... BUT I do not know the quality and mechanical robustness of the SL construction. I have about 30 or so portable racks that I have fabricated using either Crest XR series or A&H MixWiz series products without a single failure in maybe 8 years. The Mackie 1604VLZ's were not quite as lucky however.
You are correct, of course, but I am not comfortable relying on "reasonably careful handling" during transport. I also wear a seat beltwink.gif.

Also, the SL is larger and heavier than the boards you mention, and even though it ships with uninstalled rack rails, it is not really designed to be used as a rack mount mixer.

• Members

Correct, I do not have any long term experience with the SL rack mounted. It's pretty deep and heavy but it may be of adequate construction.

Reasonable handling is a relative term of course. What's reasonable to you and me may not be reasonable to a stage monkey.

• Members
I didn't even know they made cases with insulating foam...our current mixer rack case is similar to this, but with rack space on the bottom...

I have never seen a professional mixer case without it! There seems to be a lot gear out there with the appearance of pro quality (think DJ) without the real features and protection needed to make sure your gears works when you get to the job.
I'm of the impression that rack mountable equipment should be designed with the thought in-mind that there's a high likelihood said equipment will be mounted in a rack... be it a mixer or ?

• Members

I actually bought Mark's proto case. Liz and Mark take very good care of all of their customers. My comments on the case are it is more the adequate for my needs. As Aged has stated though I am the only one moving my gear no hands etc. The fit is excellent with all the proper thought going in to making sure that all the cables are fully serviceable. The SL being such a deep board makes that a key point. I owe them a long overdue review of the case. Sorry Mark & Liz. When I grad a 24 channel early next year I hope they have a 24 channel case in their line up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jeff grocki

View Post

I actually bought Mark's proto case. Liz and Mark take very good care of all of their customers. My comments on the case are it is more the adequate for my needs. As Aged has stated though I am the only one moving my gear no hands etc. The fit is excellent with all the proper thought going in to making sure that all the cables are fully serviceable. The SL being such a deep board makes that a key point. I owe them a long overdue review of the case. Sorry Mark & Liz. When I grad a 24 channel early next year I hope they have a 24 channel case in their line up.

Just a little image of the rear of Mark's case. 8253446534_0b9321572d_z.jpg

• Members
I want at least an inch of foam surrounding my board. If that case falls over or is dropped you could be wishing you brought a backup!

IMO: The SL poses some challenges as far as constructing a foam encasing case for that mixer as there is not much available space on the top surface of the mixer to physically effectively support with foam. Therefore, I suspect that a foam encasing case would need fairly stiff supporting foam on the cover as well as possibly the sides to supply adequate support for the fairly limited supportable space on the top of the mixer, and also to keep the mixer tightly positioned in the case so the top surface support foam only mates with the available supportable space.

• Members

I am of the firm belief that there is s huge difference between a case that is for mounting and transportation versus a case meant to be used just as transportation and the user is expected to remove the mixer or remove the top and mix sometimes with the mixer sitting on the bottom. In my estimation, I believe the lack of foam surrounding the mixer is completely mitigated by the hard mounting of the mixer to the case, assuming, of course, the case is constructed well. If I were buying a case where there was no mounting then I would expect that the case be lined all around with foam to protect the mixer from bumping around inside said case while you transported it. But if it is mounted with screws to the case, why on Earth would you ever need cushion as well? It isn't moving around in there and presumably the case is stable and strong.

I have an old Soundcraft Folio Rac Pac and I have it mounted in one of those cases with grey fur on the outside and 6 rack spaces underneath. We have all seen cases like that. The case is incredibly strong and has been dropped, yes, with the mixer in it while it was all closed up. No problems at all and I have had this mixer and case for about 18 years now. There is absolutely no protective foam inside, nor do I care or feel that it would be in any way beneficial. The mixer is mounted with many screws and it is very stable in there.

I think what may be throwing people off here is that the EWI case that Mark and Liz are selling LOOKS like one of those pure storage cases where the mixer sits loose in there and you get to the gig and either remove the mixer or leave it sitting on the bottom.

Mark, are you going to be getting that case for the 24.4.2 SL mixer?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Mark, are you going to be getting that case for the 24.4.2 SL mixer?
That's the plan. The prototype is currently sitting on my work bench, with my SL 24.4.2 mixer mounted in it. I'll be packing the case (including the mixer) to a sound job tomorrow.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...24_Case_FL.JPG

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...board_back.JPG

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Ca...oard_front.JPG

We should have production models in-stock approx. the end of the year.

Archived