Should you try to sign on to a major label in todays market

guitarville

• Members
There's a reason why I posted in this section of the forum. The guys here know and have the experience to answer my question that is of importance to me and maybe to others that are also reading this thread.

I agree with you concerning the quality of folks on this forum, however, I think you`ll discover that no one has the answer because we`re all coming from an old model of distribution which is the model of the record label. Labels used to be the link to mass distribution but the issue now is that distribution models have completely changed, thanks to the Internet. Labels are not the answer to distribution. Thats why I think the thread is silly. The answer is not a label. The answer is still out there….

Right now, October 2014, we are still looking for a distribution model that puts money/control back in the artists pocket. That`s what its about at the end of the day, isn`t it? We want control. We want compensation for our work, we want $$$. What other reason would an artist want to be associated with an out of date model such as a label? I guess you could say that a label would help with the recording aspect…. finding a producer for the band/artist, promotion, etc… but again, for every Lady Gaga there are millions of starving artists. Then there are the B rated artists… the indies… they have label support and perhaps get spots on TV, movies, and get put on some tour bus with a bunch of other artists but at the end of the day, there are still struggling to get above the noise. At the end of the day, everyone is still grappling to make a buck.

For me, its been about selling music directly to the listener.

If you`re starting out as a band or solo artist today, I would suggest:

1) purchasing a decent video camera and getting your video editing skills up. Then I would create a YouTube channel and direct people to that channel.

2) And as crazy as this may sound, I would not give away any free music. I would put up videos of myself working in the studio and showing people how much work goes into the process. I would also have a kickstarter link on every video and ask people for their $$$ to help me make the record and make sure they get a copy of the record when it comes out.

3) I would track where my fans are coming from and farm that area and their friends. I would even ask fans to help spread the word and give them some extra bonus for doing so. I don`t know what that would be but they`ll want some compensation for helping your cause. How about making them "Official Regional Directors" of your fan club? Whatever….

4) perform in those locales where your fan base is picking up. If it means going to Nebraska for 20 people, then go. It has to start somewhere….

And of course, all of this is to build up a fan base. Labels today are looking for artists that have already put in the legwork. They want artists who already have the fans in place because labels realize they cannot force feed to the public anymore because again, there are so many people out there, so much noise to contend with that labels can no longer dictate what the public is listening to. I hope this helps in some way.

20 years ago when my band and I were starting out, the music industry was made up of labels and we wanted to get signed too but it all changed. You can no longer approach the subject of getting signed with out of date and irrelevant ideas.

• Members
Thanks Ernest Buckley. I'm glad I posted this thread' date=' its been very educational. I guess there is no one right answer, but just "do it" and see where my hope leads me to.[/quote']

My only advice is to use the current technological streams (youtube, streaming, etc…) to get your music out there and of course, deliver an entertaining live show. If you don`t have a following, no label will care.

In my opinion, the greatest hurdle we all face in this new world order is addressing this distorted idea that music should be free. I think blaming the lack of sales on the delivery system is misleading. We have to change the idea that music should be free. Just because something cannot be touched or seen, does not make it disposable. We need to support the individuals who create the sounds that inspire, heal, and bring joy to others.

Music, when seen in that light, is priceless. What is healing, inspiration, and/or joy worth?

• Members
"A fun comment I received from an A&R guy who was visiting our band's rehearsal studio was this:

"Really love your stuff. Love it. If you could just reign in that creativity..." "

If that doesn't justify the existence of this thread, nay, the internet in genera, I don't know what does.

:D

That was amazing.

This isn't nearly as precious perhaps, but it's still fun.

Another A&R guy visiting our band's rehearsal studio said, "We love your music. You guys have the best sounding demo we've heard this year. We just don't know how to market you."

Archived