"no laptops used may be plugged into ac power" how to get round this

• Members

OP,

Guess I will try to wrangle this back on topic. Let me be blunt - time to man up and be businesslike. This is very simple - either the sound provider can provide what you need to do the show or they cannot. If they cannot, get another provider or bring your own PA. Quit trying to bend over backwards for the problem operator.

Let me say this another way: let's say you decide that you want to put a oval shaped pool in your backyard. Pool company #1 gives you a quote but says, "we only do square pools." They will not say why, just "it's the rules." Do you waste time trying to change their mind? F--k no. You get a pool company that will install the oval pool you want. Pool company #2, who will make any shape pool you want, happily puts in a lovely oval pool and your family thinks you are awesome.

I wager there are some folks near you on this very board who could provide you with the service you require without the insipid limitations.

My $0.02. YMMV.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its too close to the gig to change providers, and its not the provider who is causing the issue. we are renting tons of gear from legends, a production house out here, and its to be run by a member of our group who has a background in pro sound, mainly for video installations but he is free so.. i have not recieved the list but it is enough gear, hopefully, to do a convension center ball room right for 1000 plus seated folks, and a 200 capasity dance floor. i'm approaching this as the one in charge of working with djs, trying to solve problems, but i'm not going to spend money on it, i'm not going to drive myself to distraction working with them, if they cant or wont provide what we need, then, the show is fubared because noone in the board of directors will change any of that with only a month to go before the four day event.

whatever happens..happens. but at least i've got a few neat products i want to buy now just to have in my "damn it how do i fix this " case.

• Members

You shouldn't be spending any money out of your own pocket and you shouldn't be coming up with solutions w/o some clearance from the people above you. You're not the guy in charge; you're a liason.

What you should do is advance the show with your dj's - find out what equipment they plan on bringing. Then once they tell you that they're bringing laptops, make it known to both the sound guy who's running it as well as his boss that this will be a problem if sound dude doesn't figure out a solution. The event directors are bringing in talent and sound dude is planning to refuse to accommodate the talents' equipment. Make sure everyone knows who it is who's making this decision, then let them make the call on how they want to proceed. This is the perfect time to pass the buck.

-Dan.

• Members

My macbook pro will run on a full battery charge for 7-13 hours. (13 hours as a jukebox with the screen turned the entire way down. I'm still getting this kind of life and the laptop is 2.5 years old.) One of these days you'll be able to do that with a PC laptop. I think he's wrong about laptops, but there are always problems cropping up in strange places.

• Members

What's the date of your gig? I have a RCF TTL11A rig that's perfect for convention ballrooms at the capacity you mention, and will happily isolate the buzzy laptops for you.

The photos I've seen of anime conventions look like they mostly use a bunch of Mackies on sticks. I can well imagine how bad it sounds.

• Members

this is a furry convension
www.furtherconfusion.org
basicly a bunch of fun loving kids who never grew up, and some crazy animal spiritualists, and a whole lot of elaborate costumes. its a fun party, but the dances have sucked mainly do to the prominance of hard dance music that a mascot suited individual cant keep up with, and not enough rig for the gig.

last year we had a way under speced system that sounded great at low volumes, then fell flat on dance music, it was four milo sixty meyer sound cabs per side, with one 700hp sub per side, self powered boxes, allen heath gl 4000 console, with eight of the subs and six of the milos it could have worked excelent. the poor subs were in limit pretty much the whole weekend, and the sound suffered badly.

the rcf rig would be great but its to late to put in an rfq, but maybe next year? i dont think i will be involved on a staff level next year and cant really recomend working with this group in its current organizational state though.

• Members

I think one of those conventions was the backdrop of a CSI episode a few years ago.

As for the laptop buzz, I have seen it on 3 prong mickey mouse eared power supplies used in domestic Dell & HP and almost all international models. Supposedly it can be cured it with a "ground lifting device" (cheater plug) on the laptop power supply, but if I did it that way I wouldn't advertise it for fear of liability.

• Members

that csi episode will still rile up people in the fandom because it was such bad press and made a lot of people think much less of furries on the whole than they probably deserve.

i am almost possitive that it was the 700hp, but that was told to me by someone on the av team, sub was wider than tall, about 30 high though mighta been on wheels. up close they made a lot of air move, but you could hear the limiters creating all kinds of unwanted artifacting.

aged, have you been in the convension center in downtown sj? its a big ol place, just to give you an idea of dimensions, theres a .6 second slap back delay from stage to the back wall. its around 400 feet deep and the place we had to use was probably 150 feet wide.

they had a side stage for the dubstep heads that used a single srx 718 and 725 per side and that room sounded better and had more bass the whole weekend long.

to stay somewhat on topic, i have a dell built alienware pc that creates aweful hums, but a di solves it on every system i've ever plugged into, about ten different ones now, so thats the route i'm going to take with the av head and hope for the best.

thanks guys, glad everyone got to put there .02 out there, and there was some great info relayed.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by spottyaudio View Post
i am almost possitive that it was the 700hp, but that was told to me by someone on the av team, sub was wider than tall, about 30 high though mighta been on wheels. up close they made a lot of air move, but you could hear the limiters creating all kinds of unwanted artifacting.

they had a side stage for the dubstep heads that used a single srx 718 and 725 per side and that room sounded better and had more bass the whole weekend long.
Yeah, either that wasn't a 700hp or something was set up wrong.

-Dan.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzie

View Post

Would using a deep cycle battery and inverter break the groung loop? I was under the impression that the power supply caused the noise and didn't think it would help.

It depends specifically what the technical cause of the noise is.

Archived