NEW Yamaha DBR series active speakers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just ordered one of the 12's for myself as well. It'll be here this week, and I can give it a run through. I waffled between the 10 and 12, but went for the old Bigger is Better. ...But not 15" better! Once a few checks clear, I'll order up a 2nd to be its stereo soulmate. I'll have dig up my old Sheffield Labs CD's and find a player for them; it's been a LONG time since I bought any new speakers!

• Members

I'm seriously considering the 10" model for a vocal floor monitor, MF has listed for $399. It has all of the DSP built-in on a monitor switch to reduce lower frequencies and accentuate the higher vocal frequencies. I do use the DSR12's for my mains, and they are freakin' awesome and reliable. But I'm thinking if one of DSR12s were to crap out, I might be better off with the 12" ($499) as I could throw it on the stick. Thoughts?

RiddimRider

• CMS Author
Craig, I will be curious to see what you think of these vs the ev. Zlx series which really seems good for the price.

That's exactly where I'll be focusing my attention (at least personally...the "review" is actually a paid advert for the catalog) with this line. The EV's are really impressive boxes for the price, an excellent value in my opinion. But I'd be shocked if the Yammies don't live up to that as well. I've never been disappointed with a Yamaha speaker.

I am, however, surprised there's no sub included in a line with three midhigh boxes. EV is similar in this regard...even though the ZLX has settings to align with the ELX sub, that's still a more costly box to buy.

• Members

IMO, the DBR sounds so much like DXR AND has the same HPF options that they should match perfectly with the DXS. What Yamaha does need to do is release a high output sub to give some competition to the higher output / better sounding KW181, 718XLF and LS801P. As for the ZX vs DBR, I'm guessing the DBRs will outperform ZLX in output, low frequency extension and overall sound quality.

• Members
I think I'll buy a pair of the dbr12 . I got rid of my 1st gen ELX which I didn't care for. But' date=' I do love having something small and light for little gigs, for monitors, watching movies on my projection screen, etc. I trust yamaha[/quote']

The sound/voicing/smoothness (or ear friendliness) of the DXR and DBR series lends itself very well to everyday audio applications as well as professional applications IMO. Since I bought my DXR15s, I listen to all of music through them...

Al

• Members
IMO' date=' the DBR sounds so much like DXR AND has the same HPF options that they should match perfectly with the DXS. What Yamaha does need to do is release a high output sub to give some competition to the higher output / better sounding KW181, 718XLF and LS801P. As for the ZX vs DBR, I'm guessing the DBRs will outperform ZLX in output, low frequency extension and overall sound quality.[/quote']

You mean like this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-dsr118w-active-subwoofer Spec are pretty much the same as the KW181 and the JBL you mentioned except the Yamaha is cheaper.

• Members

My dealer did test the DSR118s out and was impressed with them. I never had the chance to however. Maybe they're just not as popular as the 801P of 618XLF, but I think their smaller size (for an 18) might have an impact on their output. I just don't see them competing with the much bigger 801P for example, which I have used and was blown away by the tremendous output they are capable of.

Al

• Members

I do like my DXS12s EXCEPT for the fragile finish. They kick for 12s mostly because of their size, which is equivalent to Yorkville's LS720P (15" sub). I had compared one of my DXS12s to my LS720P before trading it in, and the DXS12 did get as loud, but was not quite as musical nor did it extend quite as low. Still, for a 12" I was surprised, but only when using the X-TENDED LF setting. The other settings are a little too thumpy for me. Most people probably don't care about that though...

Al

• Members

I have yet to hear the new DBR12's, but I have a hard time believing that they will put out the SPL anywhere near the DSR112 (which I own). In fact, nothing in this price range competes in output in my testing with the DSR112. I would be concerned that a DBR12 would not be able to fill the shoes of a DSR112. It may well be that a DBR12 can compete quite well with a DXR12 ..... which kind of makes you wonder about the long term viability of the DXR line IMHO.

With respect to the DSR118 competing with the XLF and the 801p, not really. I thought the DSR118 sounded good, but was pretty weak compared to the other two. The XLF was the best sounding of the bunch and put out quite a bit more sound than the DSR118. The LS801p is a beast in every respect of the word (heavy and big too), but I didn't care for the tone of it. It seemed a bit boomy for my taste. I think it would be a tough sub to beat outdoors.

• Members

I assure you the DBR12s are NOT capable of putting out the SPL the DSR112s are capable of, I don't recall anyone saying anything to the contrary. These are different legues of speakers quite simply. The build and transducer quality found in the DSR line far exceeds what is found in the DBR since the DBRs really are Yamaha's "value" line meant to replace the MSR line that was never really very popular. I think many will be surpsrised at how close in perfomance and sound the DBR cabs comes to the DXR cabs though.

I used my single DBR12 last night at a fairly big (and loud) wedding in conjunction with my DXR15s last night and was very happy with their perfromance. The wedding was for a family friend so I attampted a different configuration. I had my DXR15s on the floor - one to the left and one to the right of my DJ table playing full range (with the FOH setting activated) and only my single DBR12 up on a stand in the center (just in front of my table) hi passed and providing mids and highs for this loud crowd. The level on the DBR12 was intentionally slightly higher than that of the DXR15s. Well, things did get fairly loud, it was quite a party and at no point in the evening did I see the limit lights on either the DXR15s or DBR12 and the many times I went into the crowd to dance with my wife, the sound was really excellent. When playing Thunderstruck, I had a chuckle remembering how my NX55Ps were ALWAYS limiting at levels far lower than what was coming out of this system and happy with my switch to the DXRs. At the end of the night, I appreciated how easy to lift/move the DBR12 was. My only complaint with the sound was a slight lack in the upper mids, which sort of caraterizes the Yamaha sound IMO, but at the same time gives them their hi-fi voicing which most folks seem to appreciate. All in all, I would opt for DSR for high output/more demanding applications, because I have tested them and know what they are capable of - but for my DJ/music playback applications, both DXR and DBR fit the bill quite well.

Al

• Members

Hey Al,

I was referring to the previous poster asking if a DBR12 could be used as a replacement for his DSR112 which he uses over XLF's.

I agree that if the sound quality and output of the DBR's are close enough to the DXR's, it is going to be a big seller.

.... and one could only hope that a $900.00 speaker would be louder than a $400.00 speaker. It is hardly a fair comparison. Still, for most DJ jobs, the DBR line is likely more than enough (I would of course except EDM which always requires tons of subs ;) ).

• CMS Author

Ok Craig ..... I'll bite. A little more on the comparison ..... please? :) I'm looking at both of these as potential floor monitors.

RiddimRider

I'd possibly go with the DBR as vocal monitors...they really cut through, and I think they're louder than the ZLX were (I don't have the ZLX to compare A/B). But I think the E-V are better fit-'n-finish, the sound is smoother rather than crisper, and the controls are a bit more versatile. I don't think there's $150 more value in the DBRs.

• Members

The 7 year warranty vs 3 on the EV likely make up for a little bit of the difference in price. The more straight forward mixer section / HPF settings on the DBR are also a + for me (I also like the RCA inputs), as I don't like the single knob menu on the EVs. I do have a member on another forums who did directly compare ZLX and DBR :

"I have the DXR15, bought them after listening to them and watching Al's recommendation. They are a great speaker. I listened to the DBR15 and it sounds good, much better than the ZLX15P, but it does not sound as good as the DXR15. The DXR15 has a much better bass response and has a smoother mid range transition than the DBR15.

For what reason I don't know, I am guessing the quality of the driver and the DSP in the DXR15, it makes the mid transition better while being driven fairly hard to produce bass at higher SPLs.

I am an EV man and have a set of ZLX12Ps, which sound pretty good, as I only use them for ceremony fills or crossed with ETX subs, but I will say that there is a huge difference in sound between ZLX and DBR. I don't know what the true street price will be on the DBR, I bought my ZLX12Ps for $323.00 each, but if you can get a DBR12 for around $350-$375 (DBR12), they will definitely be a ZLX killer.

The ZLX line has been the number one selling speaker line for over 18 months now, I definitely think DBR can replace ZLX if the retailers have enough room between cost and MAP to get the speakers within $50.00 street price of the ZLX. They will crush QSC K series as they are lighter and already sound better, with being WAY more affordable. QSC better get something out there to compete with DBR, they have ignored the ZLX as the K Series is better sounding than ZLX, at almost twice the price (street price), but DBR already sounds better than QSC."

Al

• CMS Author

I don't know if I can agree with your friend, Al, about the DBR sounding better than ZLX. They have different voicings, and that puts the comparison firmly into the range of personal preference (as opposed to there being a flaw in the performance of one or the other).We agree that if the price can be brought to within $50 of the ZLX, the DBR will be a true competitor.

In my opinion, K > ZLX > DBR. But the ZLX difference is really close.

I don't want all of this to sound as if I don't like the DBR....I like them a lot. I just think the current pricing is going to kill them.

And we haven't even begun arguing over where Line6 L2t and L3t fit in the mix...

• Members

Agreed that the sound of these two lines is very different and each will sound better to different people. The Yamahas, DBR, DXR AND DSR all have a very present top end IMO that will not appeal to everyone. I personally enjoy the detail and crispness of the sound, but wouldn’t mind a little more beef / clarity in the mids as mentioned in my review. The sound (especially in FOH setting) could be considered as smiley face EQ’d, which is why I mentioned that DJs would like the sound of these speakers out of the box with this setting. I only heard the ZLX once a few weeks ago, and although the salesman didn’t crank them up, they seemed more “neutral” or balanced if that makes sense. It’s incredible how much quality, output and features you can get these days for so little cash… I’ll be looking forward to your official review. :-)

Al

Archived