iPOD's and break music

• Members

• The sound quality on iPods is plenty fine, especially as break music or in the car. It's not as good as a real CD on a real stereo, but much better than pretty much everything else.

Do not get an iPod touch. They're annoying and clumsy to use as a music player, they're super expensive for their capacity and they're fairly fragile. Get an iPod classic. They're high capacity, easy to use and don't have all the crap you're likely to never use anyways.

You charge them with the included USB cable, or you can buy a separate power cable that charges them faster.

I connect mine with either a 1/8" to stereo RCA or 1/8" to stereo 1/4".

Audio level from song to song depends on how you rip music. If you download your music it varies depending on how the person uploading the music has ripped them. If you rip them straight from CD or buy from iTunes, the audio level will be consistent.

I rip music from CD as mp3 at 192kbps. IMO 256kbps and 320kbps aren't much better and use much more storage space.

Make sure you turn off the EQ and all of those annoying system noises. Those stupid clicks and whoosh noises as you scroll and select songs will output to the system and makes you look like a jackass.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Al,

So, are you saying you don't like Sony???? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I wonder how the iPod Touch's "earphones" sound. Anybody?

Al,

I just bought some AKG 702's a while back. I haven't listened to them yet, but when I do, I'll get back to you. They seem to have a very good reputation, and I got a very decent deal on them too. These are open-backed cans, which is what I prefer for "listening". There seems to be quite a few people over at Gearslutz, using these cans for recording (mixing and mastering).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix

View Post

• Do not get an iPod touch. They're annoying and clumsy to use as a music player, they're super expensive for their capacity and they're fairly fragile. Get an iPod classic. They're high capacity, easy to use and don't have all the crap you're likely to never use anyways.

Hmmm; the three reasons why I was considering the Touch are;

1. That's the only model of "refurbed" iPods available at the moment. At $229. for 64 gigs, that's not bad.

2. I want a screen, so I can see my playlist.

3. The ability to take pics and videos at a gig. (if the low-light capability is adequate).

I can't see myself ever needing the 160GB capacity of the iPod Classic. If it wasn't for taking videos, I'd probably be happy with a 8-16 gig iPod Nano.

• Members

View Post

I rip music from CD as mp3 at 192kbps. IMO 256kbps and 320kbps aren't much better and use much more storage space.

+1 - going from 128 to 196 is a noticeable improvement, a much smaller improvement going from 196 to 256, and going from 256 to 320 would take some critical listening on a great recording to hear any difference.

• Members

View Post

• Do not get an iPod touch. They're annoying and clumsy to use as a music player, they're super expensive for their capacity and they're fairly fragile. Get an iPod classic. They're high capacity, easy to use and don't have all the crap you're likely to never use anyways.

I find the opposite actually. Plus the added benefit of wifi to stream pandora if I wanted, or look up something in a pinch. I have both and I just find it easier to get around on the touch.

Fragility is an issue due to the screen, but just get a case like anything else and should be good to go. Again 8gb is more than enough space unless you are uploading AFLAC files.

• Members

Our band uses iPods for sequencing and they've been rock solid going on 2 years now, and that's using 1 or 2 per gig 3 gigs a week. All iPods have identical content except the iPod classics (160gb) have more break videos on them, the 32gb touches basically have the videos and some audio but none are hooked up to the iCloud or my personal email etc since if they get stolen my email etc can't be compromised.

I bought a 64gb touch for me personally and loaded it with band stuff and instill have another 26gb for my own stuff. It's basically 80% of an ipad in a small screen. Very freaking cool ipod, glad I got it. It's nice to be able to take advantage of all the extras the iPod has in common with the ipad, though some apps are cumbersome.

Fwiw I also got a refurbed one and its connected using a hosa 1/8 to dual 1/4 cable. The sequence racks use the 30pin docking cable get charged while in use.

• Members

I use (don't fall down laughing) a dedicated laptop running Windows ME (yes ME). My laptop has no battery. (not a dead battery, no battery) It is dedicated to this one purpose. I call it my wide screen MP3 player. I keep it in my trailer and don't worry about when it might die. I use Winamp to play the music. I find the large format screen much easier to use and I use the windows Search to look up songs. My entire collection is copied to a cheap external hard drive, with the most often used songs on the C drive. If I need to acquire a song on the fly, I use another wifi device to get it. I buy most from Amazon, but converted all my CD's before I started buying mp3's. When my laptop eventually does die, I should be able to acquire a 10 year old replacement cheaply enough.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

Our band uses iPods for sequencing and they've been rock solid going on 2 years now, and that's using 1 or 2 per gig 3 gigs a week. All iPods have identical content except the iPod classics (160gb) have more break videos on them, the 32gb touches basically have the videos and some audio but none are hooked up to the iCloud or my personal email etc since if they get stolen my email etc can't be compromised.

I bought a 64gb touch for me personally and loaded it with band stuff and instill have another 26gb for my own stuff. It's basically 80% of an ipad in a small screen. Very freaking cool ipod, glad I got it. It's nice to be able to take advantage of all the extras the iPod has in common with the ipad, though some apps are cumbersome.

Fwiw I also got a refurbed one and its connected using a hosa 1/8 to dual 1/4 cable. The sequence racks use the 30pin docking cable get charged while in use.

Very cool; are the apps any good? Does the Touch have a built-in mic?

• Members

It does have a mic and there are SPL and measurement apps, BUT there can't be any assurance the mic is calibrated. Big grain of salt there. About 80-90% of ipad apps work on iPod touch or iPhone, the iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone part. I'm very happy with mine.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

It does have a mic and there are SPL and measurement apps, BUT there can't be any assurance the mic is calibrated. Big grain of salt there. About 80-90% of ipad apps work on iPod touch or iPhone, the iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone part. I'm very happy with mine.

I think you just "sold" me on the 64gig Touch. The comparison to the iPhone is basically how I see it too. The refurbed I'm looking at is the 4th generation, for $229. Cdn./ delivered. The latest (5th) generation has a dual-core chip (A5), but it's $400.

I think I MIGHT wait another week or two, in hopes that Apple releases some refurbed 5th generation units. I'm sure they sold a ton of those as Christmas gifts, and some of those would get returned. Mind you, I was looking at them just before Christmas, and all of the refurbed iPods, were sold-out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soul-x

View Post

Varying normalization of levels on differently mastered tracks is an issue one would have to deal with no matter if the recorded music source is a compressed digital player, a cd, cassette, 8-track, reel-to-reel, vinyl, phonographic cylinders, or carved on a player piano scroll.

I don't ever remember this happening with 8 tracks - although - that IS a long way "back" to try to remember.

• Members

Well, I just pulled the trigger, and bought the 64gig 4th gen. Touch. It'll be here by next weekend. $229. delivered/ no tax. 1 year warranty. smile.gif

I had been thinking of waiting for a 5th generation refurb'ed, but I have no idea what they'd ask for that unit, or how long I'd have to wait, so it's done. wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note

View Post

Well, I just pulled the trigger, and bought the 64gig 4th gen. Touch. It'll be here by next weekend. $229. delivered/ no tax. 1 year warranty. smile.gif

I had been thinking of waiting for a 5th generation refurb'ed, but I have no idea what they'd ask for that unit, or how long I'd have to wait, so it's done. wave.gif

Now that you've already pulled the trigger facepalm.gif. Any old android phone in airplane mode (cell function disabled) will work well as a music playing device. You can often find these laying around (or from a friend) for ~free.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gregidon

View Post

Now that you've already pulled the trigger facepalm.gif. Any old android phone in airplane mode (cell function disabled) will work well as a music playing device. You can often find these laying around (or from a friend) for ~free.

Yeah, hopefully there will be a point where I finally check out cell-phones. I'm obviously not a tech-gadget guy. If our market was as competitive as yours, I would have gone there a long time ago,,,, unfortunately, that's just not the case up here. I'm pretty happy with this purchase. There's tons of apps and accessories for the Apple devices, and at $229. for a fully guaranteed, and still a fairly recent and relevant product, I think I did OK. Apple seems to take pretty good care of their customers, and I'm confident that I'll never come close to using the full 64 gig capacity. (famous last words, eh?) smile.gif

I've already started looking at apps on Youtube, but I'm in no hurry. I was looking at StudioSix Digital's apps last night, along with some SMAART tutorials. There's a MacBook Pro in my future, but not for now. I have an iMac at the moment (in the studio), but I'm typing this on my 8-9 year old PC..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Koopdaddy

View Post

I am just using an audio cable (1/8 stereo connector to L/R 1/4 connectors) directly into my aux in on my mixer (X32).

Or you could get the ipod dock and do the same thing.

Some of the later cables are slim near the connector so they fit into iphones and ipods with some type of protective box around them. (I use my iphone and that cable fits without removing the otter box.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note

View Post

I'm confident that I'll never come close to using the full 64 gig capacity. (famous last words, eh?) smile.gif

I have 66.7GB just on this laptop, not my entire collection either eek.gif . Plus about 8GB is 64K WMA files that I should re-rip into 256K MP3's. MP3's are mostly 128 or 196 too frown.gif . I hate that Apple doesn't support SDCards - maybe now that Jobs is dead they'll loosen up a bit on future products smile.gif . IDevice tune players suck too - WinAmp on the PC can remove the silence from the start and end so that the tunes flow better even if you don't want to bother with beat matching and cross fading (which I hate anyways).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
BTW I just picked up one of these, seems to work OK:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270977971672
Mixes to mono and converts to balanced smile.gif .
Have you confirmed proper summing (measure between tip and ring) as well as that there really is a transformer with proper ratio and low frequency level capability? How about ground lifting if used with laptops?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Have you confirmed proper summing (measure between tip and ring) as well as that there really is a transformer with proper ratio and low frequency level capability? How about ground lifting if used with laptops?

Haven't gotta round tuit yet. It was cheap and seems to work with the players I have around. I have better for laptop duty and I'd normally want stereo for that anyways. I just wanted something to toss in the gig bag to input a customer's MP3 player device. My break music library is on an iPad that is docked to the DL1608 and doesn't take up any of its 16 channels. My only complaint so far is the cord is only 6" frown.gif but can be extended with any XLR cable of course smile.gif . Yah, I'm sure it's not the most HiFi thing ever made but who wants the break music to sound better than the band anyways wink.gif ? Did i mention it was only $13.15?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

Haven't gotta round tuit yet. It was cheap and seems to work with the players I have around. I have better for laptop duty and I'd normally want stereo for that anyways. I just wanted something to toss in the gig bag to input a customer's MP3 player device. My break music library is on an iPad that is docked to the DL1608 and doesn't take up any of its 16 channels. My only complaint so far is the cord is only 6" frown.gif but can be extended with any XLR cable of course smile.gif . Yah, I'm sure it's not the most HiFi thing ever made but who wants the break music to sound better than the band anyways wink.gif ? Did i mention it was only $13.15?

The cost doesn't matter if it's not the right tool for the job. Measuring and testing is the only way to be sure. I've been burned by solutions that looked too good to be true, or promised things that were undeliverable. Not always but often enough wink.gif

• Members

Apple and Fed-Ex are too fast for me. eek.gif I didn't expect my order to arrive 'til the weekend, but the truck was here today, and unfortunately, I wasn't. They'll try again tomorrow.

That said, I find it simply amazing how well organized these folks are. I placed my order Friday afternoon, the order was picked up in ShenZhen , China, then flown to Memphis Tenn, then Mississauga Ontario, and Mirabel Quebec, then trucked to my front door in a total of 92 hours,,,,, and I opted for "ground" shipping when I placed my order. The last time I ordered something from Apple (iMac), it was a similar experience. These guys are good. thumb.gif

Archived