"Stupid stories!"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sort of on the original topic;
I was working with a road band in Minnesota in the middle of winter. We traveled in an old school bus, as many bands did at that time. I was driving, and got a little warm, so I reached down to turn off the heater fan. As I turned off the switch, the bus engine died. I turned the key again, and got nothing. As happened with dismal regularity, I figured the battery must have gone dead, so everyone piled out to push start the bus. Trying to keep their footing on the snow covered street, my band-mates pushed the 91 passenger school bus for probably 2 blocks, while I kept popping the clutch, but the engine just would not catch. Finally, looking at the dashboard in exasperation, I realized that what I had turned off was not the heater fan, but the main electrical power switch. Without saying anything to the poor slobs pushing their guts out, I turned the switch back on, popped the clutch one last time, the engine fired right up, everyone piled back on, and we headed off to the gig. Fortunately for me, no one realized there was nothing wrong with the battery!

• Members

When Tommy first came, he believed that guitars should go straight into the mixer....no amp....just straight....for that "clean, pure tone". His logic behind it was that if a keyboard is plugged in straight, why not the guitar??

I'm no expert, but I figure the guitar output is powerless...it doesn't work on batteries or anything....and I figure you have to have power when sending it into the mixer.

What he made me do for a long time was plug straight and turn the gain knob up real high...but I still ended up getting drowned out. Luckily this was just the off-hand assembly song or hymn.

This one day I had plugged a volume pedal which I used to control my level for a solo. Ashivraj (being the power crazy freak that he is) borrowed an amp, turned the bugger up full, took a line out and plugged into the mixer (with gain knob up full).

Needless to say I was lost in the mush. I told Tommy.

"You @$$, it's that bloody pedal of yours. Why do you want to complicate things??"

4 years down the line and he still blames my pedal for me being drowned out.....but he refuses to have my signal processor anywhere near me. :rolleyes:

-Nigel

• Members

Once I had a girl over I was kinda dating. Well I went to the bathroom, and when I came back she said, I just helped you.
How?
I noticed that those screws at the end of your guitar was out of place, so I put them all in line...

• Members

Originally posted by tarantinos

Once I had a girl over I was kinda dating. Well I went to the bathroom, and when I came back she said, I just helped you.

How?

I noticed that those screws at the end of your guitar was out of place, so I put them all in line...

I don't get it.

• Members
Originally posted by IsildursBane

Your mixer doesn't have a pre-amp you can use? Usually, they'll have a 1/4" jack you can plug into instead of the XLR.

I wasn't plugging into the XLR....I would plug straight into the 1/4" when Tommy was in charge. I'm not sure what the deal with it is...but Tom and Jerry never let us plug in straight if Tommy wasn't in charge....something about overheating the components. Don't ask.

Think about it this way.
Keyboard = powered signal.
Bass -> Amp = powered signal.
Guitar -> straight to mixer = well...you get the picture :D

Don't ask....I ain't a pro :D

-Nigel

• Members

For those of you who have worked with stereo-output equipment (keys, guitar processors, etc)....here's a funny one.

One outdoor show (still on school premises), we were setting up. The keys man and I both took 2 cables each (left and right) and panned our channels hard left and hard right....2 for the stereo keys and 2 for the stereo guitar processor.

These were normal cables, nothing special...simple, mono cables.

Tommy observes us panning and comes up asking, "Why do you guys have to act like smart-@$$es and pan the damn things?? It's automatically panned at the instrument stage, why do you want to touch all the knobs on the mixer channels??"

:D
-Nigel

• Members
Originally posted by tarantinos

How?

LOL!!!! I remember Tommy did that to my guitar once!!! :cool:

-Nigel

• Members
Originally posted by Six String Stuntman Steve

LOL!!!! I remember Tommy did that to my guitar once!!!
:cool:

-Nigel

Are you sure this guy isn't just a product of your imagination? I find it very hard to believe that anyone so spectacularly stupid could have survived beyond the age of 18 without inadvertantly winning a Darwin Award. Maybe he was just an Honorable Mention. Does he still have all of his fingers, toes, body hair?

Peace,
D

• Members
Originally posted by SteelyD2

Are you sure this guy isn't just a product of your imagination? I find it very hard to believe that anyone so spectacularly stupid could have survived beyond the age of 18 without inadvertantly winning a Darwin Award. Maybe he was just an Honorable Mention. Does he still have all of his fingers, toes, body hair?

LOL!!!! Hard to believe isn't it?!?! Well, there's 2 other forumites from my school who've actually seen this crackpot in action. :D

What surprises me the most is how the hell he ever managed to get a job as a "head of music dept".

Of late I've been toying with the idea of setting up a fake email account and anonymously sending a link to this thread to the official school email or the principal's email addy. But...what can I say....I want to complete my last few months in school without being expelled. :D

-Nigel

• Members
Originally posted by madjack

A quickie-

Playing a one-nighter, at load-in, the bass player bends over to pick up a monitor and splits his jeans completely out. He has nothing to change into, and so uses about half a roll of duct-tape to seal the split closed. It was quite a sight watching iron-butt try to move around for the show.

My wife (The Worlds Most Wonderful Woman) and I once went to see a Hendrix tribute act, Randy....something, in a Twin Cities bar.

There was a couple follow spotlights in the back of the room. The bass player split open his skin tight pants and his testicles were hanging out, I {censored} you not. The WMWW raises her hand into the spotlight that's on the bass player and uses her hand shadow to "tickle" the hanging testes.

The whole place erupted :D .

Karlos

• Members

Steve,

Here's a picture of the I/O panel on a Mackie 1402:

1402PROTopIO.jpg

You'll notice that underneath each XLR input is a 1/4" input. That's not a line-level input, it's an instrument-level input. You should be able to plug your guitar straight into that and have it work ok.

haha, I'm not quite pro yet either. My equipment consists of 3 guitars, 1 5150 half-stack, 1 computer, 1 audiobuddy, 1 sm57, 1 effects processor, 1 electric piano, and 1 pair of monitors. This week I should be getting my first compressor.

-Dan.

• Members

Reading the post about tying the two outputs of a powered mixing board to one speaker reminded me of one that happened to me. I spent a great deal of time rigging out my FOH so that basically every connection could only be made one way. Amp racks at each side of stage, lows into rack (panel on back) are male xlr, mids in are female xlr, highs in are 1/4". Sub outs are Neutrix (2 one for each cabinet) and then a 1/4" each for mids and highs. Figured this was pretty much idiot proof and even if the mid and high outs got swapped it might sound like {censored} but wouldn't hurt anything. Well fired up the system one evening and had nothing out of one side subs (2 cabs) looked at the amps (CP2000) top one was clipping with barely any signal to it and the bottom one was showing no signal at all. Took about 15 minutes of cussing and fussing to figure out that the two neutrix cables for the subs were wrapped together when they came out of the storage box. I grabbed two ends that were together plugged into the outs on the amp rack and plugged the other two into the speakers. To make a long story short I had plugged the outputs of the amps together and the speakers together:rolleyes: . Amps are fine and of course the speakers didn't get hurt any. Man I hate telling on myself like that;)
foooz

• Members

Isildur....I'm pretty sure ours are NOT line-level....but I'll double check when I get back to school.

Anyhoe....what I was trying to say is....well, you've got the keys about 100db loud, the bass 200db loud, the piano another 300db loud....and there you have me plugging straight into the mixer trying to scramble a measely -5db :D

-Nigel

Edit: Actually I'm not really sure if they're Line-level or Instrument-level.

• Members

Fooz reminded me of my first experience with a borrowed Dunlop 535 and an MXR distortion.

I had taken them to school for a rehearsal over a weekend....plugged in...and no sound....I couldn't understand. All that came through my amp were a bunch of high pitch squeals.

I stared at the damned thing totally warped for about 15 minutes, then disconnected and reconnected the bugger and I still had the same problem.

Then one of the female singers (who didn't know the first thing about cables and the lot) came up to me and said "Err, Nig, you plugged it different from yesterday."

There's me, staring at this 14yr old girl who's obviously watching my every move (:D).....and then I stared back at my two pedals and figured out what I'd done wrong.

Here was my chain as of that instance

Amp in -> MXR in
MXR Out -> Crybaby In
Crybaby Out -> Guitar out

Damn those pedals :mad:

:D
-Nigel

• Members

>who's obviously watching my every move ().....

heh heh... time to play the cute silly guy bit :-)

About the mixer - you don't want to plug your guitar into a Line-level input, your guitar doesn't put out enough juice for that. What you want is an instrument-level input, like you'd get on a mic pre-amp.

-Dan.

• Members
Originally posted by IsildursBane

About the mixer - you don't want to plug your guitar into a Line-level input, your guitar doesn't put out enough juice for that. What you want is an instrument-level input, like you'd get on a mic pre-amp

Nope, now that I think about it...I can't remember whether they're all line level inputs or instrument level.......but the XLRs seem to be powered anyway...any ideas?

I'm guessing line level....but does the presence of a "gain" knob signify anything?

-Nigel

Edit: Ok I can't remember what I posted in my previous post.....but now that (I think) I've got my terminology right....the inputs on our mixer as far as I can recall are well, I'm not sure! Line-level??......i.e. the signal has to be powered before going in. I do know that Tom and Jerry make a fuss to me plug my guitar in "virgin", something about components overheating. However, we don't use any mic pre-amp for the XLR inputs.....so that would make the inputs instrument level??? I'm confused now.

Damn you, Isildur :mad::D

Archived