Jazzmaster conversion?

datru

• Members

I've had Jazzmaster desires for a 2 years now but can't afford a used Re-issue. I've considered the Squier, but it feels cheap in my hands. I see a number of used Modern Player JM's out there. Are the routes big enough to pop in true jazz master pickups? I imagine I have to replace the pick guard too.

• Members

I'm pretty sure standard Jazzmaster pickups are wider and a bit larger all around. The pickups on the Modern Player look like standard humbuckers with extra wide rings. If you're handy with a router it might be a worthwhile project but personally I'd pass. I get your Jazzmaster lust though. My college roommate had one.

• Members

Well, you can get the Classic Player, which is $799. I had one, miss it dearly, but my problem was the body combined with the long scale. Jaguars are much more comfortable for me, and they are very similar tonally and more versatile.

However, I've seen one guy on Youtube who put Jazzmaster pickups in a Tele, which wasn't an easy task because he had to saw bigger pickup holes into the body. They're huge pickups, but that's where most of the tone comes from, though the tremolo system has a lot to do with it too.

...but to answer your question, I don't think you can put Jazzmaster pickups in one of the Modern Player HH models, BUT there are many P-90s that are humbucker sized. Also, you can put regular Strat pickups in with special pickup covers that block the hole left by excess space, or you can try removing one side of magnets in the humbuckers, which often works to make a warm, noiseless single coil tone. However, the P-90 humbuckers are closer in tone to the JM pickups.

• Members
...there are many P-90s that are humbucker sized. . . .

Exactly what I was getting ready to suggest. philthumb If I'd been thinking I would've recommended it in my first post. FWIW, I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Phat Cats.

• Members
I have wanted a Classic Player for two years. I haven't found a store that had any. I don't want the vintage or MIJ or the new MIA's. I want the MIM CP specifically. And I'll get one - someday.

The worst part of the CP is the truss rod being inaccessible without pulling out the pickguard. Why they designed it that way is beyond my comprehension. No one wants a truss rod they can't easily adjust.

Archived