What is a decent inexpensive SG style guitar???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Five years ago, they used to sell Cielo guitars on e-bay. They had an SG copy that one of my guitar students bought. The pickups were so so, the guitar was made out of sycamore wood, the playability was great, after I did a truss rod adjustment and lowered the bridge.

It cost only $265.95 and it was a neck thru guitar ..... the caboom that came out of that guitar was amazing !

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Tuning in a little late ...

Yes, stainless frets. In the years since I've had it (2005), I've seen that model a) change specs like Kardashians change husbands; b) disappear completely; c) fluctuate in price more than the rest of Rondo's Agile line; d) have a few variations.

Which means: crapshoot. Isn't Agile always a crapshoot?

But if it comes up 7's, damn, it's a nice guitar.

And yes, high output ceramic pups. There are folks on the internets who can talk about why you shouldn't judge a pup by it's magnet composition - I'll just say that putting those through a nice, vintage Fender amp has some very, very good sounds, and once I tweaked pole piece height, etc. (I am an obsessive set up person), it was voiced very well.

I know how trollish it must sound, but at least some Agiles really are nice guitars.

• Members

Yes, Ratae - that's the one. Only, mine has a very different looking neck (smaller inlays, slightly larger frets from the photo). And the first one that arrived had something dropped on it, as there was cracking of the finish radiating out from one of the pots. After looking closely at the guitar, I also thought the inlays looked terrible, and the fret ends ... ouch.

The second one I got? Cherry. Go figure, man, I don't know.

Last remark: now that it's about 10 years old, it has darkened up nicely, and the fretboard worn in well (and I don't really play it that often). Many here are familiar with guitars that age well, and thems that don't, and for me that has usually been a function of price and predictable QC (e.g., Chinese guitars from the early 00's).

The Agile has aged gracefully, like a solid instrument should. It's not picked up any devilish traits nor annoying idiosyncracies, despite being moved from Boston to Vegas to New Mexico and never being cased except for the car trip.

• Members
DeArmond makes one

The DeArmond S-73 was essentially a Guild Polara S-100 clone. These are thicker than Gibson SGs -- more like the ESP/LTD Viper.

DeArmond hasn't made guitars in more than 10 years. Unmodified used DeArmond S-73 models (in other words, they still have their GoldTone pickups) are becoming a little pricey these days.

12478.jpgfetch?id=31032242&d=1394134160

Archived