New Project- Event Band & EPK

jeff42

• Members

Hey guys as you may know the guys in My trio and myself are starting a new project with 2 other musicians looking into the corp/ private/wedding/event scene in Pennsylvania. Our goal is less bar gigs and more "private/event" gigs.

Our first full meeting of the new 5 piece event band project is happening this week. I've been looking around online and searching my area on gigmasters for some examples of what I want our promo stuff to look like but honestly I haven't found much that isnt kind of crappy in one way or another.

If you guys can point me to some EPKs of event bands you may know that would be awesome!

I plan to show the guys the best I can find and go from there. This whole project is a risk. Who knows if there will even be any work the 1st year but the future for me at least is less bar gigs & more event gigs and I need a band that can do it.

IMO a trio is a hard sell for stuff like this.

also we need a "event" band name too. Ostrich Hat & Pals doesn't cut it. LOL (even though we have a 2 weddings booked next year with extra musicians under that name)

• Members

Not sure how great this band's EPK kit is, but obviously they are doing something right. At least as far as Gigmasters and being a wedding band is concerned. They claim to be Gigmasters' top cover band and wedding band of 2013. That's gotta be pretty close to the truth since the Gigmasters stats page shows they have booked $111,515 in gigs through GM in the last 6 months. And unless they push every gig they book outside of GM through the site for every actual dollar booked, that figure is most likely low.

https://www.gigmasters.com/LiveBand/Jukebox

• Members

I think an EPK is bunk..Make a killer video and have great pics that speak for themselves. You need a web site with one page..BIG video in the center scroll down for pics, than in info, contact etc..People KNOW in a minute soon as they hear/see you. I really don't think they want to see or care about band members talking about the band etc etc....They just want to see/ Hear what you do.

• Members

For weddings, you sometimes can't have enough promo material. Brides tend to be hyper-detail oriented and the more info you can give them the better. Isn't always necessary, of course, but I doubt any band ever lost out on a gig because their website had TOO MUCH stuff on it.

I agree that people know in a minute whether they like a band or not, but whether they want to hire YOUR band over the 10 other bands they also liked in a minute is a different story.

Do people want to see a video of the band talking about themselves? Some might, some might not. But if a band wants to have that in addition to the other stuff, I certainly don't see the harm in it.

Wedding Wire is a good site. We get a lot of gigs from it.

• Members

The most common thing I hear from people who hire us is that it was our video and website that sold them. "We looked at 15 bands and your video was by FAR the best" is something I've heard many times.

What I DON'T hear, of course, are the reasons why some other band is chosen over us for the gigs we DIDN'T get. That would be super-valuable information, but not stuff you're likely to ever hear. All you can do just keep an eye out on the competition and try to match/beat them on every level that you can.

• Members

We are planning on recording a demo, doing a video shoot in the TV studio I work at and getting pics done very soon. I'm pulling in some favors for all of those. LOL.

The website is next on the list to get up and running with some info downloadable one sheets. Just looking for good examples of video, online press kit/ website stuff.

• Members

Here's a pretty slick website I like from a band in LA. Nice modern feel to it, I think. Less a band website than an "entertainment service" site that offers different acts in different formats and packages.

The videos fall a bit into that generic/slick category we've talked about on other threads, but I know they are getting a good amount of work for a band that I don't think has been out on the market very long. Not a video content format I personally would use, but the production quality is certainly there.

http://www.downbeat.la/

Archived