Where does everyone stand on stage?

• Members

Hey thanks for the feedback everyone. I understand the bassist in back comments because I played bass for a band a number of years ago and that's what I did - I stayed in back next to the drums, played bass, did my thing as a sideman, grooved off the drums, and let the guys in front be the show. But for this band, the bassist is part of the show. He'll move around, he'll get off the stage and move in and around the crowd (as do I) from time to time, he's the predominant backup singer, and he sings lead on a few songs. The keyboardist sits down on a chair or stool behind the keys and focuses on the keys, sometimes looks up and smiles, and helps out with backup vocals. That is in no way meant to be derogatory - just saying that visually the keyboardist provides a very static element. So putting bass in back and the keyboards in front would be an overall downgrade to the kind of show we've been trying to develop.

The keyboardist is very important in some songs and nice-to-have in others. We do a lot of modern current pop where keys/synth carry the song. And then we do your other various rock and pop songs where the keys supplement the overall sound, but a four-piece could carry it off without if necessary. I love having a keyboardist in the band and think our sound is much much better for it. Even on songs where the keys are supplemental I think it elevates the band - think Still Into You which can be pulled off fine without keys, but you add in those synthy bell sounds and the song just pops. So I very much appreciate the contributions the keyboardist makes.

A riser wouldn't work, though I like the idea. Nobody in the band including the keyboardist would support spending the money and hauling it around and setting it up and breaking it down.

• Members
As for harp players....a lot of them drive me crazy. There are some good ones out there' date=' but the ones who insist on playing non-stop all night long drive me crazy. I usually give up playing organ with somebody like that on stage and just tinkle the ivories.[/quote']

I was in a similar situation years ago. I was guesting with a friend's band and for some reason, they had a harmonica player in the group for that gig. They were usually a bluesy trio (vocal/guitar, bass guitar, drums). I was hired to play keyboards (piano/organ) and some occasional 2nd guitar and harmony vocals. The harmonica player had no sense of when to "shut up." He would play at the beginning of the song, during verses, choruses, GUITAR SOLOS (yes, at the same time), and outros. It was a friggin' nightmare. And the gig was four nights in a row. The harmonica player apparently played with some famous people, but I found that hard to believe due to his lack of dynamics and understanding of space (i.e. silence), though it might explain why he wasn't still on tour with them.

• Members

our setup is usually the same, drums in the middle, singer in front of him, guitar and bass stage left, keys stage right. Where I set up depends on the stage size. Bigger, I move up front more and at a 45 degree angle. Smaller, I move back with the drummer and face the band. I sing most of the harmonies and keys are featured in a lot of our songs, and I sit down when I play, but with this setup, I'm never behind anyone even on the small stages.

• Members
Tough situation - it's really hard to find a keyboard player hereabouts :( . Perhaps the keyboard player would be happier in the back if you had a couple lights for them? Having seen your band a time or two ;) I do agree that they belong in the back.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I just don't want to spend any more money. :) Maybe the keyboardist would if it was just for them. And the idea someone had of staggering so they're not right behind someone. That might help too.

• Members
so you have a keyboard player you shove in the back, behind everyone, and don't put lights on him either?

LOL, to be fair, we don't really put lights on much of anyone. We are severely lacking in the lights department.

• Members

Since he's concerned about being seen, maybe he wouldn't mind shelling out a $150 for a couple of cheapy LED cans?

One gig our drummer (who is usually pretty well lit anyway) showed up with a couple of cans that he put on his riser and pointed up at himself. He didn't say anything about not thinking he wasn't lit enough or that we should invest in such lighting. No problem. They look good and are something we should have had anyway. But every gig he sets up and packs up these two cans himself, separate from the rest of the band lighting. They are "his" lights.

Maybe your KB player should invest in one or two of these?

http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Chauvet_Sl.../slimpar38.htm

• Members
so you have a keyboard player you shove in the back, behind everyone, and don't put lights on him either?

Here's our typical smaller stage setup.

We use that same setup except mirrored, and the bass/guitar switched, plus I stand for keys and also play guitar. Works with pretty much every stage size we deal with.

• Members

Here's our usual setups, usually plenty of room for everyone. Usually 12x24 2F873EE4-2C65-4B4A-8B53-542E9DE408E4-9286-000006728CE92D01_zps447dff93.jpg Here's the smallest stage we played. 8x12. Just before I started my sound company. Good old yellow power cords of shame, old mixer, home made lights. Ah the good old days. 88da9e62.jpg

• Members

A valid reason I've seen for having a keyboard player face the audience is if he's a front man too. There's a local Grateful Dead tribute band that does exactly that, where the keys player sings a lot of the leads.

• Members

On the 8x12 there were 4 performers across the front. Having the keys on the ground at a 90 degree was the only way possible. On the bigger stages It faces at about a 45. She's not playing keys on every song, so on the others she's more at the mic, or singing some leads...

• Members
Maybe your KB player should invest in one or two of these?

http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Chauvet_Sl.../slimpar38.htm

I have a couple of them and am happy with them. I usually use them on the floor pointed up at the banner on auto - in fact I think the OP has "experienced" them used that way ;) . A couple of the $20 10w yellow or RGB floodlights like I mount on top of my mains works great for full stage lighting on a budget - I posted about those in the lighting forum a few months back.

• Members
I have a couple of them and am happy with them. I usually use them on the floor pointed up at the banner on auto - in fact I think the OP has "experienced" them used that way ;) . A couple of the $20 10w yellow or RGB floodlights like I mount on top of my mains works great for full stage lighting on a budget - I posted about those in the lighting forum a few months back.

I can vouch for RoadRanger's setup - both for sound and for lights.

Archived