KORG KROME or M3/M50 or KRONOS

DC-10

• Members

Well folks - Having owned a Triton LE and M-50 (Sold them both, I liked the Triton LE a bit better and when I had it was a great Keyboard), but now times have changed and I went to the

Yamaha side of things -

I own Motif Rack, Motif ES Rack and Motif XS6 Keyboard (greatest Keyboard made hands down).

I have a few others: 2 Korg TR racks (amazing) - Roland XV-5080 (w/ expansions) and Roland Fantom XR - Ensoniq ASR-10 (probably 2nd greatest keyboard ever made) and ZR-76 has it purposes -

I just played the Krome (I know a little late by a year and half). And it is very much like a Kronos sound wise - I mean in some instances exactly - I would not put any effort to buy an M50 or M3 (to those who own them - I am glad you like them) - But, the Krome is simply a better instrument in every way - honest, the Krome has better drums keys and overall sounds, I mean a lot better - great drum patterns - nice combi's with arppego and drums - makes for some very creative sounds to play right out of the box, which is what I look for inspiration wise when I am playing...

I have stayed away from Korg products for a long time because of their sounds not being punchy, solid, bright and clean (excluding the TR racks).

Now, I am actually thinking of buying a Krome within the next several weeks -

Let's be honest now - it is NO Yamaha XS6 - don't get me wrong - I prefer the XS over the XF and really does not matter as their are practically identical in every way except for flash memory.

But the Krome is very cool - I was impressed, I buy keyboards and modules for what they bring and add -

To sum things up about the Krome - it sounds in some ways similar/like to Roland High End stuff - Fantom XR and XV-5080 (G series not a fan of). It also has some ES Rack clarity to it, and a little XS clarity which I am impressed with - So in my mind - I'll probably get it - Hey if you like the other 8 tone generator stuff get the Kronos (I just don't need it or use it)

You can get Karma for the Yamaha Motif XS and XF series and for the Krome as well - and I believe the for the M50 too... Maybe some day I will get that software plug-in, but for now I'm good with what I got.

Hope this helps some folks!

• Members

Hey EJ2 - I hear ya, but I don't do a lot of sound editing only with effects and some attack or decay that's pretty much it - I mean to be honest the Alesis Fusion is a great keyboard for programmers -

But, for me I don't need a Kronos with my XS6 - takes care of most of my needs - The Krome seems suited for people like me - And it sounds good for once - I was very disappointed with the M50

peace

Dan

• Members

Hi - my opinion a lot of Korg stuff has not been clear and punchy - Take the Korg TR series keyboards (Triton LE basically same exact thing) very cooll, but just not authentic and clear.sm-popcorm

The M3 and M50 I found very bland and not clear or have much clartity to them - The entire Triton Series I found lacking any real punch to it -

Now on the other hand I found the Trinity sounds absolutely stellar and clear - Same with the TR rack and now the Krome and Kronos - It's like Korg finally got some modern sampling done with its

Sounds - that's all that I am sayin - Just like I think Roland has not done too much with it's sampled sounds - but, just kept regurgitating them after the JV-1080 - The Fantom X series was a step in the right direction - but I think the G series was just kinda like the X series -

Just my 2 centsm-anyones

• Members

I own an M3m. Awesome - I love it.

Caveat: GOOGLE "Korg M3 touch-screen problems"

My touch-screen has failed. Many other buyers have the same problem. KORG has done

nothing to announce the problem. I have bought a replacement screen. But I haven't installed it yet.

So I cannot recommend the M3. Go KRONOS.

I've owned 3 Korg boards, N364, Triton Le and M3m. 2 of them had display problems.

All of them sounded great though.

• Members

I get what you're saying on the "punchy" thing. Don't get me wrong---I LOVE my Kronos. I think it's the best board ever made. But there are times when my first gen original Motif (which I plan on updating to a XS/XF or maybe even a MOX at some point...) is punchier with certain patches and sounds.

One of the great (and sometimes frustrating) things about keyboards is that no two brands (or even models within brands) are alike. As good as certain boards may be, they will never do everything that some other board can do.

• Members

To the OP - Are you not bothered by the action on the Krome, or are you planning to play it via another keyboard?

For what it's worth, I had an M3 61 for a year or so, and found the sounds to be exceptionally crisp and detailed. Too much so, actually, for my tastes. The electric piano samples sounded like they were recorded with the mic inside a Rhodes. The guitar samples sounded like the mic was inside the guitar. Very high quality and pristine samples, but they didn't necessarily play well in the proverbial sandbox together, like the Motif sounds do. But I would have to say that the M3 sounds are "punchy," at least to my ears. Very crisp.

Also, the M3 61 has one of the best synth action keyboards that I have ever played.

• Members

Hey Folks - I don't think the keys on the Krome are all that great - I use a controller Keyboard Roland A-90 or A70 or ZR-76 to play the Krome sounds -

And again having owned a Korg Triton LE and an M50 - I just didn't find the sounds too crisp - I think Korg was disappointed with the M50/M3 hence the Krome and Kronos -

THe M50 sounds exactly like the M3 - But the Krome has a lot more punch and just sounds better/clearer IMO - Is my Yamaha Motif XS6 better, yes it is, but the Krome sounds pretty darn good -

should be recording in a few weeks with it before the end of May -

If you like your M50 or M3 then that's great (make music), as for me I liked the Krome - I got a good deal at GC on a used one in Excellent condition $720 could not pass that up - I might buy the warranty for the screen, but these screens seems pretty solid - no black marks or brusing -

Cheers all...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Kronos, no question. I still own my Triton, M50 (sold the M3), and my Kronos. The Kronos is hands down as good as it gets and that's not just for Korg. NO workstation by any manufacturer comes close. And I'm not biased or anything... I swear.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I received my Krome 73 today and hate it, hate it, hate it. This keybed is unbelievably bad. Who would make a keybed disfunctional by hinging the keys outside the physical case? Stupid stupid stupid. Boo Korg.

Now I want to know what the Kronos 73 keybed is like. . . do they compare or is the Kronos a different and much better keybed to play? If not, I'm headed elsewhere to find a decent workstation I also enjoy playing because the Krome is not it!

Archived