Fender and MLB

JRicoC

• Moderators

It is a difficult game to appreciate if you don't know it. I'll admit that. When you grow up with it though...or take the time to learn it...it reveals so many complexities, and strategies, but in a completely elegant way. Not like American football which feels like a sport with "thrown together" rules as it went along. (And I do appreciate NFL as well....it's just not as cleverly designed).

But baseball doesn't catch the public's attention the way it once used to. They are constantly worried about it being "too slow"....and it is compared to the other pro sports it competes with....but speed is not the point. Personally I think it's the modern lack of a decent attention span that's to blame....not baseball itself. If people don't have the patience for it that's their problem. I suppose cricket fans would say the same thing to me!...haha...

Baseball is like a great movie...or better yet...like a great TV series like say...Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, or The Wire....it requires commitment from the audience, and it reveals itself slowly. But if you do commit to it...the payoff is just amazing.

I also love it cause it's the only major team sport where there is no "running out the clock"....(I guess cricket is like that too)....the game ends on the skill of the players.

Having said that.....just like ANY sport...there can be some dreadfully boring games at times....

When either of your Imperialistic nations come up with a game as beautiful, skillfull, entertaining and hard as this....then and only then get yuer trumpets out.

[video=youtube;8i3-Qk7FNeQ]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When either of your Imperialistic nations come up with a game as beautiful, skillfull, entertaining and hard as this....then and only then get yuer trumpets out.

lol....I'm not convinced.....

I'll admit to knowing virtually nothing about it....but watching that video and taking a quick look at the basic rules and it seems similar to N. American football in the sense of what I said before about thrown together rules. Like a goal is three points and over the cross bar is one point? Why? That's just weird. Just have one way to score.

And this from wiki...

The sliotar can be caught in the hand and carried for not more than four steps, struck in the air, or struck on the ground with the hurley. It can be kicked or slapped with an open hand (the hand pass) for short-range passing. A player who wants to carry the ball for more than four steps has to bounce or balance the sliotar on the end of the stick and the ball can only be handled twice while in his possession.

That just sounds like a bunch of "after thought" rules.....or not well thought through in the first place.

I'm sure like any sport, if you're into it...it's exciting though.

And sorry....no way any of what they were doing is as hard as trying to hit a major league pitcher. Nothing in any sport is as difficult.

There's my fighting words! haha.

• Moderators

The world's fastest field sport, 3000 years old, and the rules have developed over the millenia, and make entire sense when you play, the carriage rules as in most Gaelic games are the basis for almost every other other field game, not played on the ground, basketball, netball, camogie, shinty, rugby, Aussie rules and for all I know American Football, and the beauty of it is it's an entirely amateur sport, none of those guys get paid to do it.

I never used to get cricket but after living most of my life in England now, and having two kids who play it, I get it a lot more, and it's variants ie Test cricket (games up to 5 days) ODI (One Day Internationals), T20, and the Indian money spinner the IPL. It's like chess with real men and willow.

• Members

I'm sure the rules do make sense. Just like American football rules make total sense. The thing for me is though....and I'll use grid iron cause I know it very well.....when you sit down and explain the game to someone who doesn't know, you come to realize that the rules seem to be "stuck on" after people play and then realize there is something that ends up being not fair. So a rule is made to "fit" that unfairness.

To use an example you'll be familiar with...it's like the offside rule in soccer (and don't give me heck for using that term....Brits invented the word soccer for that game....we just kept using it). At some point whoever ran the sport got tired of people cherry picking so they had to think up a solution. So they stuck that stupid rule of having to be behind the last defensive player before the ball is struck. It feels like an after thought of a rule. And while I get it, and it is, in some ways necessary, it feels like such a clumsy rule. Open to way too much interpretation from inept linesmen.

Baseball to me doesn't have rules that feel like that. All the rules just seem perfectly and logically formed. Everything makes sense. I can only think of ONE rule in baseball that feels like it was an add on to deal with a situation. In American football....almost every rule feels like it was an after thought.

• Members

Australian Rules Football developed from Gaelic Football and I love it! Hard, fast, skilled.

• Members

Something that dumbfounds me about the NFL or American Football is having three separate teams in one. I think the offense should play defense as well (and special teams), it would make for a more athletic game and players more accountable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived