Qu-16 should I get one?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yep, it's actually the "cheaper" of the 2 I have (Voiceplay). I also have a VoiceLive 2. The microphone is the TC Helicon MP-75

How does the VoicePlay get the cord? How good is it compared to your Cadillac VL2?

I am currently using an old VoiceWorks with a TC guitar cord to midi interface. I also have a Harmony G XT, but am thinking seriously about the VoicePlay GTX which would simplify my rig and hopefully upgrade the sonic quality some as well.

The mic looks neat and I can see that for a dedicated singer, that is the way to go for sure. I am sadly out of hands though ;)

Thanks for the information.

• Members

How does the VoicePlay get the cord? How good is it compared to your Cadillac VL2?

It can take a feed from an audio source. It works for most, but not all tunes. I have a dedicated monitor mix going to it that has bass, keys, and guitar. It also has ability to use a 3 button switch to assign control to different things. This is good for tap tempos, toggling effect of and on, and activating harmonies. You can tuck the harmonizer up near the monitor and use the 3 button switch where you stand most of the time. With only 1 cable connected to it, it's just easier that way.

• Members

Fantastic mix. Nice use of the harmonizer. Very professional.

I have heard tons of studio mixes that people have made that aren't as good as this.

Also, I am really diggin on those TD-30's. Very natural sounding compared to our TD-10's.

Doing your recording mix this way has the added benefit of giving you a great live sound as well.... assuming that the stage volume is inconsequential.

• Members

Thanks. The vocoder part is actually the keyboard player. The TD-30 is a big upgrade, especially for recording. Previously we were using a TD-8. Live we could get it to sound "OK", but with only 4 outputs recordings never sounded all that great. I use 6 channels now kick, snare, stereo toms, and stereo cymbals. I just have to pay attention to the hat/ride/crash as there is no mixing those in post. I just have "cymbals".

I'm excited to see how the tweaks I've made sound live. I forgot how much I missed the multi-tracking and learning part.

• Members
Thanks. The vocoder part is actually the keyboard player. The TD-30 is a big upgrade, especially for recording. Previously we were using a TD-8. Live we could get it to sound "OK", but with only 4 outputs recordings never sounded all that great. I use 6 channels now kick, snare, stereo toms, and stereo cymbals. I just have to pay attention to the hat/ride/crash as there is no mixing those in post. I just have "cymbals".

I'm excited to see how the tweaks I've made sound live. I forgot how much I missed the multi-tracking and learning part.

The TD-10 has 4 stereo outputs ..... but you can pan different things to a single output and have 8 individual outputs. I use only 5.

Kick, Snare, toms, cymbals and high hat.

There is still the potential to get the balance of the toms or cymbals off, but aside from that I have full control.

• Members

Abzurd. Mix on Get Lucky sounds great. My cover band will gig with QU-16 for the first time in late May. Can I dare to ask you what compression, eq, reverb and delay settings you've been using for your vocals on live gigs? (I know that every voice is different---I would rather learn from some of your mistakes than make all of them myself!). I could easily imagine myself using way to much reverb and delay on that first gig, just because it sounds so good.

Also, ask you keyboardist to take another listen to Get Lucky. He/she nailed the whole note chording, but there is another busier rhodes part underneath (in addition to the funky guitar)--it appears at the beginning of the song and after the first chorus. (I know I should mind my own business!).

• Members
Abzurd. Mix on Get Lucky sounds great. My cover band will gig with QU-16 for the first time in late May. Can I dare to ask you what compression, eq, reverb and delay settings you've been using for your vocals on live gigs? (I know that every voice is different---I would rather learn from some of your mistakes than make all of them myself!). I could easily imagine myself using way to much reverb and delay on that first gig, just because it sounds so good.

Also, ask you keyboardist to take another listen to Get Lucky. He/she nailed the whole note chording, but there is another busier rhodes part underneath (in addition to the funky guitar)--it appears at the beginning of the song and after the first chorus. (I know I should mind my own business!).

Sure, I'll take some pics of some settings this week. Oh, and it's only "live gig". I took delivery of the mixer Tues and used it on a gig Fri. I'll have it dialed in better for the next gig.

Keys wise on the song, I'll listen and tell him. - thanks

• Members

Thanks for the review and when you get more time let me know how the usb/midi DAW works out for ya since it dubs some what a DAW controller. Although you won't have assiganble rotary encoders for tweaking virtual rack knobs but just having volume and pan automation is still a sweet feature to have.

• Members
Here's another one. I've been working on my vocal EQ, snare and the mix compression. Not too bad for being done entirely in the mixer with just what it has to give me.

I like the sound but any chance you can get this mix in stereo? Everything is pretty much panned to center. Moving things around L/R would really open the mix up. I've found live its good to have some stereo effects. Even just panning the cymbals L/R gives some good effect/space to things. I'd put the Keys a little to the right, guitar a little to the left even just for the recordings to make room for the vocal so it doesn't have to be as dominate to stand out.

Doug

• Members
Thanks for the review and when you get more time let me know how the usb/midi DAW works out for ya since it dubs some what a DAW controller. Although you won't have assiganble rotary encoders for tweaking virtual rack knobs but just having volume and pan automation is still a sweet feature to have.

I doubt I'll be using the midi function.... at least not any time soon. Sorry

• Members

I like the sound but any chance you can get this mix in stereo? Everything is pretty much panned to center. Moving things around L/R would really open the mix up. I've found live its good to have some stereo effects. Even just panning the cymbals L/R gives some good effect/space to things. I'd put the Keys a little to the right, guitar a little to the left even just for the recordings to make room for the vocal so it doesn't have to be as dominate to stand out.

Doug

Actually keys are panned slightly one way, guitars the other and all cymbals an toms are in full stereo. The vocals are all stereo as well, with the FX done on the way into the mixer (can't change). You can really tell on the lead with headphones on, but not so much the octave harmony I have going on it as I think the harmonizer centered that.

• Members

You know, I never listened to the finished product in headphones and it does sound mono. I'll bet the recording in audacity had both "stereo" tracks panned center. It definitely sounded better when I was monitoring through the mixer in stereo.

• Members
You know, I never listened to the finished product in headphones and it does sound mono. I'll bet the recording in audacity had both "stereo" tracks panned center. It definitely sounded better when I was monitoring through the mixer in stereo.

Thanks for checking on that. I was worried the problem was on my end. I tried all my other music sources and they all seemed stereo. That does happen! I know my 01v96 has a PAN on the stereo out. I've tweeked it before by mistake when I first picked it up and spent a full 20 minutes trying to find why one channel on my PA sounded louder than the other. smiley-mad Lesson learned.

Doug

• Members

I doubt I'll be using the midi function.... at least not any time soon. Sorry

Well if you ever do decide to post edit mix with Reaper or whatever DAW your using let me know if it syncs right up with the Mackie mode in your DAW program.

• Members

RE: Get Lucky - nicely done overall.

A little less low mid on the vocal, so it "sits in the mix" better.

Bass - try a big wide boost in the compressor sidechain centered at maybe 1k or 1k5, so it doesn't get so loud on the high notes. (Or better yet, insert a multi-band compressor from the FX rack.)

• Members
RE: Get Lucky - nicely done overall.

A little less low mid on the vocal, so it "sits in the mix" better.

Bass - try a big wide boost in the compressor sidechain centered at maybe 1k or 1k5, so it doesn't get so loud on the high notes. (Or better yet, insert a multi-band compressor from the FX rack.)

​Thanks. I did exactly that on the vocals after that recording. I noticed there was too much gak and did a pretty wide cut centered around 200 or so and sloping up to 800. The mic i use has a decent amount of proximity. As for the bass, I'm not all that thrilled that the last show he started using some sort of compression pedal. I talked to him about it tonight actually. IMI, it's too overdriven. I had EQ'd it like I did without the pedal and I agree it doesn't sound great. He had such a great clean punchy bass tone too, but I don't want to tell him what his tone should be. I'll just adjust the EQ.... I did have it boosted at 1-2K.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Was farting around with Reaper this evening and mixed this up from a bar show about a month ago. - Purple Rain . I've been enjoying the mixer. The only real hiccup has been that you can't use Stereo 3 input while recording as it makes digital noise in a pattern and stops audio altogether when stopping/saving the recording. I learned that at a gig!

• Members

I got to use a QU24 over the weekend. Really awesome product. FX sounded great. I thought I was going to miss the meter bridge (from the SL) but it wasn't that big of a deal. Being able to select, see and adjust all of the mixes in an instant is really cool.

One thing though on the QUpad app. When you swipe though the channels, you have to wait for it to stop moving to refresh. That took a little time to get used to. I hope they change that in future updates.

Found my workflow to be smother on the QU. You can pretty much do it all on both platforms. The tablet is more mobile while the board has very accessible controls, with obvious visual representation across all mixes very quickly, without connectivity or touch screen issues. When I needed to change a lot of things quickly or zero the board, I was at the mixer. Otherwise, I was doing a lot of it from the tablet. Including input gains and monitor mixes. Then walk over to the board on stage, establish an

initial FOH mix and walk into the crowd. We had extra hands, but I was able to change over the bands by myself, comfortably, in thirty minutes. It wasn't uncommon to be ten minutes ahead of schedule.

*edit* in editing this post, the forum software is acting really buggy....

Archived