Qu-16 should I get one?

• Members

Thanks guys. I watched both videos and you both have a very nice product. Yes, reviewing the "game tapes" can be very helpful for refining one's stage presence. Seriously, nice job.

One reason I ask is that last fall Andy and Don helped guide me on what would be needed for some absorbing amp shields. Well I've had all the parts (2" thick 703 panels) for four months now but still haven't gotten around to putting them all together -- hey, it's been ski season here (and still is)! I have, however, since convinced one band to place their guitar amps adjacent to their monitors facing back at them as an experiment and that helped considerably (makes it a little close to mic them that way with a SM57 -- an e 609 would help considerably) but I really want to also add a shield as one of the amps was open backed and/or just put them on the backline as usual but with shields in place. Bass of course is another story as a shield to absorb those frequencies would be rather bulky to say the least so a small amp on stage with a DI out is almost essential. I do also have two bands who's lead player just runs through a modeler and leaves it to me to send signal back to their monitors. They are happy and it sounds great out front.

If you guys are ever in this area and want to play I'd love to have your bands to work with -- the pay ain't great the but free craft beer while you're playing is excellent !

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Oh' date=' I see their attempting to get our signatures back..... keep trying HC, keep trying.[/quote']

They're back, they just use a different markup system. It's not too hard to convert from old to new, and at least it only needs to be done once.

• Members
Abzurd,

Have you downloaded the iPad app yet "Qu Pad"? It is a nice looking app, but after using the DL1608 iPad app, I suspect you are going to notice some of the limitations of the interface, but it will get the job done.

I kind of like the way they have the VU in the center of the fader and the gain reduction on the side. Lots of info on the same screen. I also personally like the ability to swipe through the channels.

The X32 app has that nice mini full meter bridge for all inputs and buses along the top which is very helpful.

Now the waiting begins ;)

Yep. I downloaded it. It seems OK and fairly close to how the DL1608 works. The DL has the best GUI of anything I've seen though so I will miss that.

• Members
Yep. I downloaded it. It seems OK and fairly close to how the DL1608 works. The DL has the best GUI of anything I've seen though so I will miss that.
Yea, I think the DL app is the best one out there as well. Dave, thanks. We work hard and have lots of fun. Absurd is so polished though. He plays more in a month than I do in a year.

• Members

That can't be. We only play 3-4 times a month and seemingly a bit less every year. We'll probably do 42 shows this year.

2 months then ;)

We only book a gig about every couple of months with a few extra annual parties thrown in. One engineering manager, one senior engineer, one factory worker and one independently wealthy retired drummer ;) I travel frequently for my job and between water skiing season (lead player) and deer hunting season (drummer) and family obligations (all 4 of us), that is about all I can sign up for these days :(

We practice once a week and have a few drinks while we do it. It is like therapy :)

Up to 2005 I was gigging about as much as you are now. I miss it sometimes, but usually not while I am breaking down the gear at 2:30 AM.

We always get asked back to venues, and always have a decent group of regulars that want to come out and see us (side effect of only playing once in a while). My friends in other bands (many of which I have performed with over the last 20 years) envy our rig. Once in a while I agree to do sound for one of them for the night as a favor. I don't ask for money, but they always pay me anyway. In exchange, I always have a warm welcome when I go to one of their gigs when me and my wife go on a date night. I also have a ready set of backup performers if someone gets sick.

​Friends are cool things to have around.

• Members
Do you have a tracking number yet ;)

LOL... Yep. It will be here tomorrow! I found a show I recorded in 24 bit 48 Khz with the studiolive so I should be able to get those files into the mixer at some point this week and have some fun.

• Members

I have it here next to me and have been running an old show via Reaper off my PC into the mixer. So far so good. It's mostly intuitive, but still a steeper learning curve than any other mixer I've owned. The FX were a bit tricky to figure out, but I found a video from A&H on youtube and that sorted things out.

• Members
I have to say if I was to go digital this is the unit I would be purchasing so I hope you keep us updated on your experience.

Sure. I guess I can start a new thread with a review as I go. I may start a google doc too so I can keep all the comments in one place (and move them to another forum if HC bites the dust).

• Members
So' date=' after opening the box and playing for a few hours, [b']HERE [/b]is my initial review.

abzurd,

Nice initial review.

I was pretty sure you were going to like the efx. To my ears, the DL1608 was kind of cloudy, the Presonus SL also lacked transparency and depth. I really thought the MixWiz was weak (the MW4 may be much better), and the Qu-16, Expression Si and X32 were all simply outstanding. It is just pretty hard not to get a good sounding vocal (unless of course you can't actually sing ;) ).

The initial release of the X32 did not have pre-defined efx and channel libraries (although you could create your own and save them). The new V2 does have them, but I haven't had a chance to try them out. Does the Qu-16 have included libraries for starting points?

How are you getting along with the iPad app? I had a run through it and thought it was OK, but not up to the ease of use that you get with the DL1608 app and not as comprehensive as the X32 iPad app. I had issues with the channel PEQ. It was actually difficult for me to grab the different circles which were all aligned to the right on the demo (it may be different when you actually have a mixer hooked up).

So do you have your band sounding as good or better than your studio live and DL1608 setup yet?

• Members

I just got the ipad app to work (my fault). I had the Ethernet cable in the up-link slot. It's definitely not as polished as the Mackie. Naming channels is limited to 5 characters, which seems ridiculous considering the technology involved in making the mixer. And those names don't flow to the mixer itself. I'm assuming that will change with time as I guess you couldn't name channels at all with the app at first. The metering screen is also kind of silly. Otherwise it seems good enough for what I'll be doing remotely.

As far as the band sound, I can't really do that now. The show was an old one with different drum module, different keys, and different microphones for the most part. Tomorrow and Friday I'll set it all up as best as I can for the show Friday night. I have all the settings on my ipad app from the DL1608 so I'll just mirror them on the Qu and fine tune during sound check. I'll try and record with the Qu and fine tune at home... back to mixing in the garage since it will be racked and too large to bring inside (stairs at all entries).

• Members

When moving from my MixWiz to the X32 Rack, the biggest issue I had was getting the monitor mixes right again. I had some of my IEM inputs over driven, the lead player was complaining about the vocals being too crisp, etc, etc.

We got the FOH sounding fantastic within a single practice by doing a running record, then doing some quick channel mixing from out front.

I took the mixer home after practice and did more detailed channel mixing and we were in FOH heaven.

The IEM mix took some tweaking, but we are pretty good now.

I had forgotten how tough on the morale of the band it is when your monitor mix is off.

You are brave to put the mixer into action this Friday ;) I had 3 weeks from the time I got my mixer to the time it went live.

Good luck this Friday! I am sure you will get it whipped into shape soon.

• Members

So here's the first attempt at a recording. It's 60 seconds of the guitar solo from All Right Now, which was the last song of the night. I just mixed it down with headphones (Sennheiser HD280) and ran the "alt out" of the mixer (stereo 1/4" pair) into the line in of my macbook and recorded with Audacity. Everything but toms and cymbals are mono. I'll do more later. I think it's nap time.

Drums are electronic using a Roland TD-30 module

1 - Kick

2 - Snare

3 - Toms L

4 - Toms R

5 - Cymbals L

6 - Cymbals R

7 - Bass

8 - Guitar

9 - Keys

• Members
So here's the first attempt at a recording. It's 60 seconds of the guitar solo from All Right Now, which was the last song of the night. I just mixed it down with headphones (Sennheiser HD280) and ran the "alt out" of the mixer (stereo 1/4" pair) into the line in of my macbook and recorded with Audacity. Everything but toms and cymbals are mono. I'll do more later. I think it's nap time.

Drums are electronic using a Roland TD-30 module

1 - Kick

2 - Snare

3 - Toms L

4 - Toms R

5 - Cymbals L

6 - Cymbals R

7 - Bass

8 - Guitar

9 - Keys

Sounds good!

Do you have anything with vocals in it? How was the night in general?

I am currently sitting at my computer with a pair of HD280 pro's on as well ;) Great minds think alike!

I have had pretty good luck mixing with these head sets as they are pretty flat and generally give me a mix that sounds good in a car stereo (which is what I generally target).

Are you using keys for bass on this song?

• Members

It's a real bass. Here's something with vocals. It's just a quick mix down. I usually do 3-4 before I'm happy enough to leave it alone. I prefer mixing down with my studio monitors versus the headphones actually. I just don't listen through those headphones enough to know what will universally sound good.

The Power Of Love

Sledgehammer

Archived