Ratae Corieltauvorum

Jazz bas pickup choice- suggestions and opinions  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Jazz bas pickup choice- suggestions and opinions

• Aguilar AG4 7 70
    • DiMarzio Ultra Jazz
    • Bartolini Hum cancelling

• Moderators

OK, just in the process of bits buying for a Jazz bass build, the old Korean Squier is getting retired, too heavy, so have a lovely light ash body and Warmoth neck, so should come out just under the 8lb mark Don't need any vintage J sounds anymore, I want a big whomping thudder. I've narrowed it down to these three, although open to other suggestions, I know there are a few DiMarzio Js that will do the trick, and Barts are complex in their offerings.

They'll be for rock n blues and alt rock, fingerstyle mostly but requirement to play a bit of Lizzy every now and then so neck pickup and a pick required.

Gentlemen, your suggestions

• Members

Don't Know If I've heard any of those first hand besides the Dimarzio.

I guess the Bartolini might be the best choice.

I was shopping for a new bass pickup for my modified Gretch bass last week.

I added a Vintage Seymour Duncan Jazz Bass Bridge pickup in there and I'm not happy with the tones

in comparison to the stock Humbucker.

I needed to find something that would fit in the route I had already made or something that required a larger route that would conceal

the Jazz Pickup Route. I did want a Humbucker which I thought would be a better match and came across one of these Wilkinson MWJF4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390477112781?lpid=82

They're cheap enough so I'm not going to loose out if it doesn't fit with an expanded route job. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it

has some decent bridge tones to blend with the center/neck pickup .

• Members
. . . I needed to find something that would fit in the route I had already made or something that required a larger route that would conceal

the Jazz Pickup Route. . . .

No recommendations for the OP but you might want to look at a soapbar style. Again, no specific suggestions.

• Members

^^^ Yea I should have gone that way to begin with but I had a couple of Jazz bass pups in my spare parts locker I was going to put in one of my builds.

I have an EMG I like in my one build and it would have been ideal for the Gretch, but it wouldn't have been large enough to conceal the previous route.

As I said I did get the SD to work but Had to jump through some hoops. The Single coil with the Original HB had phase issues, Two North poles and one south or vice versa

when run with the Humbucker. Using a 250K pot on the single coil helped but when I turned the single full up it still phased the HB out instead of blending like matched pairs

or similar pups do. I'm guessing the single is just too hot.

I later used a cap in series with the single coil to act as a high pass filter and it worked for blending and I do use it to get some needed snap on the short scale bass,

but its still not right. I used to have this same issue on an old Gibson SG bass. The Center pup sounded great solo and when you cranked the bridge pup up it sounded like

thin crap. Getting just a little bridge to blend was a very small window on the knob and 1/32 turn either way and it was too much or too little. I'm hoping a pair of HB's will have a

better balance.

At the same time I have a new 500K pot I need to put in there. I went cheap last time and the budget 250k pot flakes out. You don't hear it when you're playing but recording

direct, the bass vibrations must cause some kind of low level static arching in the background. When the DAW plays back the track it triggers a digital crackle.

Took me a long time to figure out what was causing it. I though I was just tracking too hot and the transients were spiking the 0db ceiling.

Cleaning the pot is just a temp fix. Its just built too cheap to be bothered with so it gets a swap when I routs the larger hole for the new pickup.

I'm not expecting great tone. The center/neck is a really good recording pickup that males a short scale sound as beefy as a long scaled bass.

All I need is a little blending for different genres of music which you cant get by processing a single pickup. I sometimes mute the strings near the bridge

and use a pick down there to get a punchy pluck to the strings. Having a little bridge tone is what's needed to make it sound good.

Archived