Hitting Critical Mass

TrickyBoy

• Members

We usually close the first set with "Shout", which is very crowd participation and then the 2nd set with DSB which isn't either slow OR fast really...lol. WAR works well as the followup encore. And "Eileen" is just a big huge singalong too. But I like that building-it-up to a crescendo thing for the end.

I've always wanted to do "Purple Rain". But I don't think we have anyone who could sing it convincingly enough to pull it off right.

I was scared to death to cover the song. As you probably know, Prince is god to me. But I got talked into it one night and it killed. Since then, we've never taken it out of our set.

• Members

Seeing the amount of effort required just to keep a cover band together seems to validate my decision to focus more on becoming a better musician and less on "band issues". I mean: with all this business, and then the constant flood of new songs needed to keep things "fresh", that just tends to lead to not really playing much on your instrument outside of band context or genre. Man, that kills my soul every time. That's why I just have to have some kind of side project going that's not at all like what the "main band" is doing. I do hope I can find a stable fulltime lineup but either way, playing music has to happen.

• Members
Seeing the amount of effort required just to keep a cover band together seems to validate my decision to focus more on becoming a better musician and less on "band issues". I mean: with all this business, and then the constant flood of new songs needed to keep things "fresh", that just tends to lead to not really playing much on your instrument outside of band context or genre.

I get what you're saying, but the other side of that is---what's the point of being a better musician if you aren't gigging? Not that "live band" is the only outlet for being a musician (obviously it isn't) so I use the term "gigging" rather broadly----but I've got to have a fairly tangible goal in front of me. Sitting at home and practicing my scales and arpeggios is all fine and good, but if I don't have some sort of gig coming up---what's the point? It'd be like practicing to be the best baseball pitcher you can be but never joining a team.

• Members

Exactly. That's the tension. But ya know, the last few "bench times" I've had I've used to explore areas of music I needed to learn more about. I even had the time to work up a little knock off of "Chromatic Fantasy" In D minor on 4 string bass. Who the hell would have time or inclination to do that when dealing with band stuff? But yeah: comes a point where a gig has to happen or there really is no point, as you say.

• Members

That's what I like about my side project. One is Americana/ texas songwriter/ original music and the other is roots/classic rock. The rock show while pretty simple music does have more key driven stuff and I sing backup harmony. We have been going almost a year on the side deal and its been a great experience.

Archived