• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's been a week and I'm sure there's more than 20 pages of posts (a total of 200). I hope they eventually put all of the archived posts up (there was some great info there if you searched for it).

So far so good (had a bit of email address confusion). Can I see more than 10 threads per page? I have a pretty big monitor so I usually like 100 or so items per page. Also sometimes I don't check in for a week or two and that could easily be 3 pages back (or more).

Hmm a new home. I'll give time to settle in :-).

• Members

Wow, just occurred to me that my little Mackie DL1608-centric forum is getting more posts that the four or five sub-forums I follow here. Not an encouraging statistic for the "reboot" of HC. I don't see many (any?) newbees here since - did they straighten out the new user registration thing? At one point it was demanding a credit card so obviously driving away all newcomers :( .

EDIT> It took over 15 seconds to post that and the editor is still FUBAR :( .

EDIT> It took over 30 seconds to post the edit :( .

EDIT> Only 2 seconds for that last one :) .

• Members
Wow, just occurred to me that my little Mackie DL1608-centric forum is getting more posts that the four or five sub-forums I follow here. Not an encouraging statistic for the "reboot" of HC. I don't see many (any?) newbees here since - did they straighten out the new user registration thing? At one point it was demanding a credit card so obviously driving away all newcomers :( .

EDIT> It took over 15 seconds to post that and the editor is still FUBAR :( .

EDIT> It took over 30 seconds to post the edit :( .

EDIT> Only 2 seconds for that last one :) .

RR, given that the old links/bookmarks dead end on a "Not found" page rather than get redirected to the new/good URL, I wouldn't be surprised if many occasional users just figure that HC is gone (for good?). Heck, I just Googled "Harmony Central forums" and the link Goggle returned to me for forums (http://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/) fails at the dreaded "An Error was encountered -- Unable to load your default controller. Please make sure the controller specified in your Routes.php file is valid." ...page. No wonder huh?

• Members

It's a pity, but I've kind of moved on. Between the deserted streets, the fact about a week ago I stopped being alerted to subscribed threads, the site being "down for maintenance" about 25% of the time, and the site speed lagging considerably over pretty much any other page, let alone forum, the point of diminished returns has been passed. Yes, I get it's a free forum, but the value comes from the contribution of the community and that's been all but destroyed by blunder after blunder spanning several years. It doesn't matter who's fault it is. The bottom line.... It's not hard to host forums.... the rest of the internet has figured it out.

I registered at Gearslutz last week and have been participating there. I've seen a few familiar faces. I'd forgotten what a well participated forum was like. I'll still be around here as long as there's a pulse and truly hope the patient recovers. With 5-6 years now of backsliding, so much damage has been done I just don't hold out much hope that the forum returns to it's former glory.

• Members

I don't suppose the PM's will come back? I had a few pieces of advice in there I would have liked to keep. I guess I should have printed them or figured out how to store them locally.

Abzurd sort of articulated the current ethos for ( I suspect ) many of us. I am not ready to give up quite yet on HC but won't be investing any energy in niceties like my footer/signature again. My avatar came back automatically or I wouldn't mess with that either. If the old posts come back and are searchable, then we will probably all forget about these little problems a month from now and everything will be full steam ahead.

• Members

I had a bunch of subscriptions where Aged taught me stuff. Well, a bunch of people taught me stuff, but you get the idea. Now my subscriptions are gone. I was looking for something the other day and found that out. Anyone else lose theirs?

• Members
Stealth upgrade?
Well, they did say "phase 1" whatever that means. It would be nice if they could be more forthcoming with details so that folks don't lose heart and wander off :( . And I guess it's too much trouble to post a quick status to FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/harmonycentral

or Twitter:

https://twitter.com/harmonycentral

when they are down for maintenance .

Maybe an update here too:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/

is that too much to ask?

• Members
Letting us know about scheduled maintenance ahead of time might be a novel idea' date=' too.[/quote']They sorta did at:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum

but yah, at least a heads-up on FB and Twitter would be considerate. Sure is dead in here now :( .

One has to assume that this morning's shut-down with no visible changes thereafter means it didn't go well :( .

• CMS Author

Well, nobody told me about either of the two upgrade site closures, so don't feel excluded. I've tried to communicate the importance of communicating. But I'm at least hopeful since the updates did fix a bunch of the problems, especially the posting speed and error messages...that was a deal-breaker for me. I can't moderate if I can't post more than one every couple of minutes.

This is all a lesson in how a bad consulting firm can completely hose their client. HC has now been victimized twice, in my opinion. First by Jive, and then by Lithium. Neither had any business doing forums. It's as if they'd never done one before, but figured, "how hard could it be?". In my humble opinion.

• Members
Well, nobody told me about either of the two upgrade site closures, so don't feel excluded. I've tried to communicate the importance of communicating. But I'm at least hopeful since the updates did fix a bunch of the problems, especially the posting speed and error messages...that was a deal-breaker for me. I can't moderate if I can't post more than one every couple of minutes.

This is all a lesson in how a bad consulting firm can completely hose their client. HC has now been victimized twice, in my opinion. First by Jive, and then by Lithium. Neither had any business doing forums. It's as if they'd never done one before, but figured, "how hard could it be?". In my humble opinion.

Thanks for chiming in Craig. Many consulting firms unfortunately survive by proselytizing the latest and greatest whiz-bang state-of-the-art 21st century solution that will do everything you want faster and more reliably that any other product -- until it doesn't. Technology should enable communication not get in the way as it has repeatedly here at HC. Fingers crossed this time!

Archived