TC ELECTRONIC KONNEKT 24D (FireWire Audio Interface)

Anderton

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think we've covered a fair amount of ground so far, but we still need to cover the Fabrik C, which has excellent compression and equalization. There are also some other loose ends, like the ability to store routing presets for live use, storage of Fabrik presets, and the like...see ya later!

• Members

Craig,

In regard to its operation with Sonar 6, do you believe these issues will be addressed by either TC or Cakewalk in the near future? Also, IYO will Konnekt's functionality with Sonar ever be on par with Cubase or Logic?

• Members

In regard to its operation with Sonar 6, do you believe these issues will be addressed by either TC or Cakewalk in the near future? Also, IYO will Konnekt's functionality with Sonar ever be on par with Cubase or Logic?

Of course, I cannot speak for TC or Cakewalk, nor am I privy to their priorities for Konnekt 24D. All I can do is speculate based on common sense.

Sonar is an extremely popular program, so it would be in TC's best interests for Konnekt to be fully compatible with it. Furthermore, it is in Cakewalk's best interests for Sonar to work with as many interfaces as possible. Whether the problem is with Konnekt or Sonar is hard to say, because Sonar works with several other interfaces I've tested, and Konnekt 24D works with several other hosts I've tested. However, both products are relatively new, and each has had one small update. These are the kinds of issues that generally get worked out over time.

However, I would always caution against buying something because "someday it might work the way I want." You can only go by what exists now. On the other hand, both companies have alluded to updates that will be released relatively soon. I'm sure now that this issue is on their radars, at the very least some testing will occur to find out if there really is a problem, or whether this is something unique to my system.

• Members

Craig, is the situation for line in 1-2 at the back of the unit the same as you described the line 3-4? I have an MKS70 and a Microwave XT I 'd like to be able to patch in ther all the time at home.

Also I have an S5000 with adat outs and a Creamware Noah with ADAT out and spdifs, what happens to the sync situation if I hav both unit conceted to the konnekt? Let's say I conncet the S5000 through ADAT to the Konnekt and have it sync to the S5000, how do I kepp the Noah in sync with the rest if it's Spdif goes to Konnekt too? WOuld the word sync come handy here?

• Members

Craig, is the situation for line in 1-2 at the back of the unit the same as you described the line 3-4? I have an MKS70 and a Microwave XT I 'd like to be able to patch in ther all the time at home.

Yes, but you can always go through the front panel connections for 1+2 and if you need more gain. The issue with 3+4 is there is no front panel "instrument" input.

Also I have an S5000 with adat outs and a Creamware Noah with ADAT out and spdifs, what happens to the sync situation if I hav both unit conceted to the konnekt? Let's say I conncet the S5000 through ADAT to the Konnekt and have it sync to the S5000, how do I kepp the Noah in sync with the rest if it's Spdif goes to Konnekt too? WOuld the word sync come handy here?

Konnekt 24D does not have word clock sync so that option is out. As to your other questions, I don't know enough about the gear you mention -- can it slave? Does it have to be a master? Does it have in and out? For example, it might be possible to send an ADAT out into Konnekt and have the K24D sync to that, and another device entering via SPDIF, but which also has a SPDIF in. You would run the K24D SPDIF out to the second device's SPDIF in, and set the second device to slave to the K24D.

• Members

When using Wavelab 5 or 6 with the Konnekt 24D, either with ASIO or WDM, I get gapping and interruptions in audio playback (even with 8,192 sample buffers in the K24D). I have the 6.00b patch installed in Wavelab 6 and whatever the last update was for Wavelab 5. This doesn't seem to be a problem with recording, only playback. I tested Wavelab out with some other interfaces, and it worked fine.

Mike, have you tried the K24D with Wavelab? Do you know of anyone else having this problem?

• Members
Originally posted by Fredsa

Craig, I gather the issue with the line levels. as different from the driver issue, is hardware related...so there is no way they (TC) can change that. Am I right?

That's a Mike Martin question :) I do know that it's possible to do amazing stuff in software, so you never know.

• Members

Hi,

Frequent HC reader here, but new to the forums...

I just bought a Konnekt 8 yesterday. Unfortunately, the direct monitoring doesn't seem to work. Put another way, the Konnekt is designed to act as a stand alone mixer, and I can't get it work. I'm a pro musician (jazz), relatively familiar with DAWs and audio interfaces, and I am unable to figure out what is wrong. Every setting seems to be correct, and I double checked my setup with the manual.

My monitors work, and the unit does route sound to the outputs, as I am able to listen to an MP3 when connected to the computer. Moreover, when working in Cubase (SX3), I can plug my guitar into the Konnekt unit and hear it fine, via the monitors. That is with the signal passing through the computer, however.

When not connected to a computer, the Konnekt defintely picks up the signal from my guitar (as I can see in the level meter on the front of the unit)---but, again, no sound is output, neither to monitors nor to headphones.

It's bizarre. I wonder whether I've got a defective unit.

It's particularly frustrating as I am very excited about getting the Konnekt up and running. Combination of form factor and features is by far the best for what I do.

I've emailed tech support and should hear back within the next couple of days. Meanwhile, I thought I'd post here to see if there's something obvious I may have missed.

Dtmodttl

• Members

It's important to understand how the front panel controls work when the computer is not attached. Go through the Ch select settings and turn the volume up on each one. Also, remember that if you're plugged into the instrument inputs, the pad switch needs to be pushed in. And make sure your line in pushbutton is set correctly.

Also remember you can save routings are presets. Maybe you've called up a preset that doesn't work with your setup?

As the box works with your computer, I doubt that it's a hardware problem. Also -- when I got the 24D, there was already a software and firmware update on the site. Have you checked to make sure you're running the latest version?

Good luck, it sounds to me like it's just some misset parameter or button somewhere.

• Members

Thanks for the reply re. the Konnekt 8 direct monitoring setup.

I discovered an interesting thing. I can plug my guitar into the aux inputs, and the sound goes direct to the monitors just fine.

Unfortunately, I still have the problem with lines 1 and 2---both the front inputs and the rear inputs. I tried an experiment, which is applying a chorus effect between my guitar and the main Konnekt channels. At higher volume levels, I can hear a faint 'woosh' from the chorus---but that's it.

Everything seems to be set up correctly on the Konnect front panel.

I've also double checked the control panel settings and "direct monitoring" is turned on. However, the computer settings are beside the point for now, as I'm just trying to use the unit without a computer.

I wonder whether firmware is the issue, but I'm running version 1.01 build 861, which I believe is the latest.

I feel more and more like this may be a hardware problem---it's a very rare thing, but it happens to the best of manufacturers, especially with new units. I'm not one to quickly think that, but in this case I'm just not seeing any alternatives.

I'm interested in what tech support says, and I expect they'll get back to me by Tuesday or so. I might post their response here. If I'm having this problem, others probably will too.

Cheers,
Dt

• Members

Me again -

After a Google search, I noticed a posting/blog/comment elsewhere about direct monitoring not working on an Intel Mac. TC is apparently aware and is/was going to release a firmware update.

Anyone know anything more?

I may well be in the same boat, although I don't have a Mac---I'm using a Dell laptop with the Konnekt 8, with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor at 2ghz, 2gb memory, etc, etc.

But here's where I'm confused: should this at all matter in stand-alone mode, i.e. Konnekt not connected to a computer? When the unit is connected to a computer, there is an option in the software control panel to turn on/off direct monitoring. However, when I disconnect the unit from the computer (and cycle the power) the software 'direct monitoring' setting should have no effect----or so I assume.

Dt

• Members

Many thanks to you, Craig for this Pro Review! I've been investigating audio interfaces this last little while, and was dismayed by some of the negative user reviews of the ones I was most seriously considering getting (e.g. Focusrite Saffire and MOTU Ultralite). This evening I was pursuing my "studies" in this area at the local bookstore by flipping through the latest music tech mags from the UK (Future Music, etc.), when I saw an ad for the Konnekt 24D. From T.C. Electronic!! Maybe the wait has been worth it after all!

I came home to find out what I could online, found this thread, and have spent the last hour or two reading through the posts here. So far, needless to say, I'm very impressed! I do have a few concerns, however, which hopefully either you or Mike can alleviate or dismiss. One is regarding the headphone signal being tied to the main outputs of the unit. Does this mean that it would be impossible to use the unit in a DJing context (using, say, NI's Traktor) where one needed to have a cue mix for the cans? The reports on the unusually low line input levels are also somewhat worrying. Hopefully Mike will let us all know if that is something that can be addressed at software end.

Finally, my computer is an early ("Sawtooth") G4 with an upgraded 1.4Ghz processor (1 Gig RAM), and it seems--judging from user reviews of other audio interfaces--that there is a greater likelihood of issues arising when trying to get an interface to perform adequately or smoothly with machines (or, more precisely, parts of machines) that are this old. I'm wondering if the folks at T.C. have been made aware of any such issues through customer support calls/emails, and if Mike would be kind enough to relay them to us here if any have indeed come to their attention.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work, guys (and thanks to all who are bringing to light all the questions that most need to be asked before we go out and invest in a new -- and very promising looking! -- audio interface).

• Members

Regarding the headphone signal being tied to the main outputs of the unit...does this mean that it would be impossible to use the unit in a DJing context (using, say, NI's Traktor) where one needed to have a cue mix for the cans?

I don't see any obvious way to do that, because what you're really asking for is two bus outputs. Possibly stacking two units would do the job somewhat, but I don't have two here to test...any comments, Mike?

The reports on the unusually low line input levels are also somewhat worrying.

I don't know if I'd say "unusually low." It wasn't that long ago that -15dB on a DAT machine translated to 0VU on a console.

My theory is that they're running the A/D converters wide open, with all bits exposed at the input, and little if any gain-staging prior to it. Thus, if you turn down the gain, you're turning it down digitally, post-converter, in order to maintain the full dynamic range. So in a way, the lower level isn't all that important because the main reason why you want to slam an input is to use the full dynamic range. Suppose the input is down even something like -12dB; you're still only losing two bits of resolution.

This isn't too say that if you have an old synth with a low output, you won't be frustrated if you try to plug into the line ins instead of the instrument ins. But overall, the K24D is very clean, and you can get away with losing a bit or two.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but what are the main problems you heard about with the Saffire and Ultralite? I should check whether the K24D has similar issues as those interfaces.

• Members

Hi guys :)

Got the unit yesterday. So far everything is working nicely. Converters and sound is top notch and build quality also.

Havig dsp onboard is a Godsend.

I haven't found the way jet to route Fabrik R rever as a send to programs like ableton Live or Logic xpress. Mybe you Craig can add something here.

Guitar rig 2 is working nice. Dead quiet and great sound. I was also suprised by the quality of headphone amp. It even crank up my HD-650 300k headphones.

For the price this unit is really great.

• Members

Hello,

Miziq, to use fabrik C & R as send/return effect, you must set them to "computer s/r stereo(or mono) " in each plugin pages or in the "setup" tab, under the name "DSP effect settings"

then, in your sequencer (i don't know logic) you must send the signal to the ASIO channels 5&6 for Fabrik C, and 7&8 for the Fabrik R ...

;)

Archived