CAKEWALK SONAR 7 - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS!

Anderton

• Members

can someone please explain to me the differences with the audiosnap feature between the studio edition and the producer edition. I am aware that both versions have the audiosnap feature but the producer edition has other options not available on the SE.

Audio Snap in PE allows you to work with multiple tracks. SE doesn't.

So in PE you can line up multiple tracks with each other to be in the same groove and timing.

Scott

--

Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free Cakewalk Loops Drumatic drum loops collection, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free WWF Slam Cam digital camera, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Scott and Craig... I'm running Vista Ultimate x64.. I do need plug in FXs probably more than Soft Synths... Scott you say the 4 gig won't give me alot of improvement?

Did you say External 7200 drive or a firewire 800 drive?

Oh, no... I didn't say that. Having more memory definitely helps. The more applications that can run in RAM, the less Windows will use the hard drive swap file and the faster the PC will perform.

Any external 7200 rpm drive will work. You could even get a USB2 drive. Those work well too.

Scott

--

Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free Cakewalk Loops Drumatic drum loops collection, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free WWF Slam Cam digital camera, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

• Members

Great review! I wish they could all be so interactive...

I'm new to music production and have been reading (to no end) about all the different DAW options. I've more or less narrowed it down to Sonar and Ableton Live. Seeing as you are an experienced user of both, how do you feel Live compares with Sonar for use in production? I'm anticipating recording and editing plenty of both audio and MIDI in the creation of an electronic/jazz/world fusion sound. I'm leaning more toward Live for its intuitive, uncluttered interface and integration with live performance, but toward Sonar for its more complete feature set. Assuming Live will eventually catch up with Sonar's functionality, and considering the effort required to learn/relearn to use such complex software - based on your experience with the the workflow and overall design of each program, if you were just starting out, which would you choose?

I know this type of question can be a tough one, with too many variables to properly answer, but any insight coming from an expert such as yourself will be invaluably helpful. I just can't wait to end my (re)search and start making music!

Any chance of getting a response to this question?

Thanks...

• Members

Any chance of getting a response to this question?

Thanks...

Well, it's tough because I use them both...Sonar in the studio, Live for live performance. The two programs have very different workflows, and while Live has a lot of DAW features, as a "pure" DAW I'd give the nod to Sonar. But for my DJ remixing live act, I couldn't imaging doing it with Sonar as opposed to Ableton Live. I also think Sonar is a better value as it includes a bunch of instruments whereas with Live, most of them are optional at extra cost; but Live handles the whole "elastic audio" thing better than Sonar. It's tough choosing between the two, which is why I learned (and use) both.

• Members

Hello,

I just bought SONAR 7 and am very pleases so far. Does anyone know if there are any plugins for the "Audio Effects" which will change your voice to sound like a different person, but not robotic? If possible, I'd like to make my voice sound like a female for background vocals.

Thank you.

Rigoberto

In addition to AVOX, you might look into TC VoiceModeler if you use Powercore.

Honestly, though, if your goal is to sing a background vocal, bump it up an octave and try to make it sound like a female, you're not going to succeed. An octave is WAY too far to shift pitch if you want it to sound natural. You'll be a robot every time. Further, you'll be a robot that sounds like a man. You can use one of the above product to change your timbre somewhat, but the vocal will never be mistaken for a woman (unless you actually *sound* like a woman!).

If you want a female background singer (and don't we all), you'll need to find a female who can sing -- at least well enough that you can pitch correct missed notes no more than a semitone or two.

• Members

Well, it's tough because I use them both...

If you *had* to choose one?

Using the same environment for production and performance sounds awfully nice... Kind of bridging the gap.

For a beginner such as myself, could Live be all I'd need? Maybe I wouldn't know what I was missing?

In fact, what is missing? What are the main things that keep you from using Live as your main DAW?

While using both might be ideal, learning (and paying for) one is already daunting enough... So where should I start?

Where would you start?

• Members

The one thing you can't do easily is transfer feel from a MIDI clip to audio. But I've used a workaround: Line up the MIDI track (using the inline PRV view) to the audio, and use AudioSnap to align audio to MIDI notes visually.

Another option would be to convert the midi to audio and use it for a transient pool to use against the other audio tracks. I recently did this to align some not-so-well-played guitar plucking using a midi hit-hat track as the source of the audio from which I aligned the guitar. In my case, I simply copied my ihat midi to a softsynth track and froze that softsynth (think I used TTS-1 for the sake of simplicity). I might have changed the hi-hat to a kick drum or something to make a stronger transient - don't remember.

• Members

Another option would be to convert the midi to audio and use it for a transient pool to use against the other audio tracks. I recently did this to align some not-so-well-played guitar plucking using a midi hit-hat track as the source of the audio from which I aligned the guitar. In my case, I simply copied my ihat midi to a softsynth track and froze that softsynth (think I used TTS-1 for the sake of simplicity). I might have changed the hi-hat to a kick drum or something to make a stronger transient - don't remember.

Great tip!

• Members
If you *had* to choose one?

Using the same environment for production and performance sounds awfully nice... Kind of bridging the gap.

For a beginner such as myself, could Live be all I'd need? Maybe I wouldn't know what I was missing?

If I HAD to choose one, I can't do my Live act without Live, so I'd have to use that...but I'd save up my money from gigs, then buy Sonar :)

Although Live is a very capable DAW, Sonar has been at that game longer and has a lot of workflow aspects that I like. It also allows editing and perfecting acidized loops -- very important to me -- which Live doesn't do, and the AudioSnap feature is handled very well. The new Sonar MIDI features are fantastic...your question is sort of like saying "I know that you double on both guitar and keyboards; if you could only play one, which one would you choose?" They really do different things and I use them differently.

I suggest you download the demos for each program, play with them for a while, and see what works best for you. Also, remember that Sonar Home Studio is extermely cost-effective yet very full-featured.

• Members

I'm really struggling with whether to go with Sonar 7 or Samplitude 10 for my next DAW (I'm currently on using an old Digi 001 on OS9). Any thoughts on the comparison between these two programs? Thanks.

• Members

Cakewalk Releases Free SONAR 7.0.2 Update and Euphonix EuCon Compatibility

—Update includes new Step Sequencer functionality; usability, performance, and stability enhancements across the entire application; SONAR compatibility with Euphonix EuCon control surface via free plug-in, available separately—

Boston, MA (January 4, 2008) — Cakewalk, the world's leading developer of powerful and easy to use products for music creation and recording, Today announces availability of a free update for SONAR 7 Producer Edition and SONAR 7 Studio Edition. Coinciding with the SONAR 7.0.2 update, Cakewalk has added Euphonix EuCon support to SONAR, providing compatibility with all Euphonix control surfaces via a plug-in, available separately.

The 7.0.2 update and the SONAR Euphonix EuCon Support Plug-in for both Windows XP and native Vista (32-bit) versions of SONAR 7 Producer Edition and SONAR 7 Studio Edition are available as free downloads for registered SONAR 7 customers at

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/kb20071226.asp.

The SONAR 7.0.2 Update adds new Step Sequencer functionality and usability enhancements, along with numerous plug-in and component optimizations. In addition, the update addresses various performance and stability issues across the entire application which were reported by customers after SONAR 7's initial release and since the SONAR 7.0.1 update.

Many of the new and exciting features found in the SONAR 7.0.2 update are a direct result of active dialog with our users. Cakewalk's delivery of timely product updates is an extension of Cakewalk's commitment in providing the very best in product support for our customers.

New Step Sequencer Features

* Save and load SONAR Step Sequencer pattern files
* New mouse gestures to edit velocities in the steps pane
* Change/set default velocity of new steps
* Step record from MIDI devices
* Option to audition notes when clicking on steps
* Preserve patterns when changing step sizes

A comprehensive list of what's included in the SONAR 7.0.2 update can be found at:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/kb20071226.asp.

Euphonix EuCon

The Euphonix EuCon Support Plug-in provides tight integration with all Euphonix Control Surfaces including the Euphonix System 5 and S5 Fusion series controllers, and large format consoles. The SONAR EuCon Support plug-in is available as a separate download directly from Cakewalk.

Availability

The SONAR 7.0.2 Update and SONAR EuCon Support plug-in are available as a free downloads from www.cakewalk.com for all registered SONAR 7 Producer Edition and Studio Edition customers.

• Members

Yep, most of the plug-ins will run under Vista (unless there are compatibility issues), but they will run as 32-bit apps. You need apps that are specifically written for 64-bit to run as 64-bit in XP64 or Vista64. Unfortunately, there aren't many out there yet. East West is coming on strong in this area though with their new Play libraries, which have been optimized for 64-bit...

EastWest PLAY Products:

Scott

--

Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to:

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free Cakewalk Loops Drumatic drum loops collection, go to:

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free WWF Slam Cam digital camera, go to:

Hi There,

Im a Cubase sx 3 user, thinking about moving to Sonar 7. Ram usage is my main reason to switch. The bottomline for me is: Do my plugins work in a 64 bit system? I use plugins from AAS, Arturia, Native Instruments, IK Multimedia Kjaerhus, Spectrasonics, Voxengo e.a.

I really found out about the possibilies of Sonar only last week. To me it looks like Sonar is the best way to go on a Windows machine..... Maybe i'm wrong.

Anyway, i'm dying for some user experience on Sonar 64 bit.

grtz

• Members

Hi Grtz,

Sonar itself works great under Windows 64-bit. Cakewalk is on the cutting edge by adopting 64-bit technology. Most plug-ins, however, are still only 32-bit applications. They should run but will only run as 32-bit apps even under Windows 64-bit, which limits their ability to access more memory. You'll need to contact the individual manufacturers of all the plug-ins that you have to see if they have plans to move to 64-bit.

Scott

--

• Members

G'day Columbian.

With regard to your questions on mastering, you should check out a book called "Mixing With Your Mind" by Michael Stavrou (a.k.a. "Stav"), an Australian dude who has invented a cool mixing console.

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/index.htm

It covers many of these topics and may be worth a look.

I have seen a number of articles from Stav in Audio Technology magazine and they have been really cool.

Regards
OM

• Members

This concludes my formal "review," but of course, the thread will remain open so that you can make additional comments, ask questions, etc. Also, I believe a 7.02 update isn't too far away, so we'll see what that's about if/when it happens.

I'd like to thank Scott Garrigus for contributing his expertise (hey, I'm sure this sold some books for ya!) and Alex Westner at Cakewalk for participating in the thread. It's always a bit of a risk for a manufacturer to get involved in a Pro Review, but this one turned out to be pretty benign -- seems there are a lot of happy Sonar owners out there.

Thanks for this awesome interactive review Craig!

I do have a question relating to Sonar7 x64 version. Do non-64bit plugins work in it?

I have a 64 bit WinXp Pro system running Sonar7 x64. I do mainly orchestral music using the VSL Vienna Instruments and their Ensemble 64 bit host.

I don't use many plugins but I have Altiverb6 and can't get it to work in Sonar7 x64. It just crashes Sonar everytime I launch it.

I thought Sonar used BitBridge to convert the plugins so they would work.

Just checking if you had any experience with this plugin and Sonar.

Thanks Craig!

Northstar33

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The patches provided with SONAR 7 Producer Edition unfortunately don't have any realistic acoustic or electric guitar sounds, unless I missed something. Are such patches available separately and, assuming they are, how good are they and is it possible to simulate the up and down strumming of the guitar?

Thank you.

Rigoberto

• Members

Rigoberto,

There are a lot of different sound libraries out there. Some of the best I've heard so far are found in the EastWest Gypsy and EastWest Ministry of Rock libraries...

* EastWest’s Quantum Leap Gypsy Now Shipping

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/newsinfo.asp?NewsID=3268

* EastWest’s Quantum Leap Ministry Of Rock Now Shipping

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/newsinfo.asp?NewsID=3269

Scott

--

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Audio or MIDI to USB Cable, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

• Members

I know that Sonar has what they call "bitbridge". Al I can find on the net is what it does but no where to find how can I use it. Is it somehting automatic??? just install the plugins and sonar wil do the rest????

Can you help me here???

Im running both 64 bit and 32 bit versions on my 64bit XP Pro machine.

I need to get these software to work with Sonar before making the full switch to 64 bit:

Reason 4
Waves Mercury bundle
Trilogy Total bass
Addictive Drums
Easy Drummer

• Members

For acoustic, you may want to look at realguitar by musiclab... They also have real strat... The focus of these instruments is allowing you to play the guitar realistically on your keyboard, if you're into that thing or just programming it using midi parameters... they have ample video examples on their site showing what can be done...

The patches provided with SONAR 7 Producer Edition unfortunately don't have any realistic acoustic or electric guitar sounds, unless I missed something. Are such patches available separately and, assuming they are, how good are they and is it possible to simulate the up and down strumming of the guitar?

Thank you.

Rigoberto

• Members

Wow, thanks, so much great info on here. At the moment I am looking as hard as I can but can't seem to get any definitive answers to my problem.

I am about to get a new Mac Pro 2 x Quad core 3.2ghz, with 4GB ram, several internal SATA drives, and an RME Fireface 800. I hope to invest in Sonar 7 PE running it through BootCamp. I have a couple of questions though...

1) In order to get maximum compatibility with various programs/plugins etc. Sonar/Reason/BFD/Ivory, balanced of course with the best possible performance...which Windows should I use? XP, XP PRO, XP Pro x64,Vista 32, Vista 64....?!

2) Given the answer to question 1, is there a version of Sonar I should use...someone said there was a 64bit version of Sonar...or is this just a setting within every version of Sonar?

3) With regards to my new setup (as above) will the given Windows and Sonar versions make use of the 8 Cores? And also is there a limit to how much RAM certain OS's, Programs will use?

I know there is a lot of questions here...I appreciate any help that is out there, and thank you in advance for your time,

Thanks,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

1) In order to get maximum compatibility with various programs/plugins etc. Sonar/Reason/BFD/Ivory, balanced of course with the best possible performance...which Windows should I use? XP, XP PRO, XP Pro x64,Vista 32, Vista 64....?!

I would recommend 32-bit XP for now. XP Pro supports multiple phsyical processors, XP Home supports dual core in the same package, or individual processors. But frankly, I have not used boot camp so this is a guess. Hopefully someone reading this thread has hands-on experience and can be more helpful.

2) Given the answer to question 1, is there a version of Sonar I should use...someone said there was a 64bit version of Sonar...or is this just a setting within every version of Sonar?

Sonar comes with 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I have tried the 64-bit version with Vista and it works really well, but I think most people are using the 32-bit version.

3) With regards to my new setup (as above) will the given Windows and Sonar versions make use of the 8 Cores? And also is there a limit to how much RAM certain OS's, Programs will use?

I don't know about multicore Macs running Boot Camp, but Sonar exploits multiple cores very well on Wintel machines. As Boot Camp essentially turns a Mac into a Wintel machine, I should think it would work well there too.

Please, after you've tried Sonar on the Mac, come back here and let us know how it worked!!

• Members

Excellent review, thanks.

I'm fairly new to the whole EQ bit beyond the usual knobs on a guitar amp but have been doing lots of reading and experimenting with the various EQ plugins available and have got to grips with them pretty well.

A question about the LP64 EQ plugin however. The control points don't seem to have the option to be changed as they can be on most EQ plugins, ie from lopass, hipass, low shelf, hi shelf, peak.

Are they all peak, are they automatically changed to suit the EQ curve drawn?

Excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question, I'm getting some good results with it but I'm just curious about the controls.

Archived