Les Claypool...who else?

JBbitchin

• Members

Hey.  I have heard and listend to a few Primus tunes in the past, and while I have played guitar for some time, I just bought a bass a while back (6mos ago) and got a deal on a an older Matsumoku factory Aria Pro II which is solid as they come and sounds great.

Regardless...I've been looking for some stronger basslines to learn and have run across things like Sting on some old police or maybve some Rush albums or whatnot and then looked and discovered Les Claypool hunting for a YouTube video of "Wynona's big Brown Beaver" to play to my son who is just learning guitar.

The more i listen to, the more I am impressed with Claypool since I have NEVER seen another Bassplayer to do some of the things he does and after my son said "You know that bar you push down to loosen the strings..." and I proclaimed "Bass Guitars dont have those."  Well anyone who has seen the video for "John the Fisheman" knows I have not a clue...

After watchign this guy--I cannot get enough and am wondering what else is out here I really don't know about and have not experienced or listend to and so...Can any Bass aficianodos give me some direction who is exceptional I can follow and find to listen to or learn from?

I know of guys like Jaco Pastorius, but aside from him, Billy Sheehan, Sting and Les Claypool or Geddy Lee--well hands down i dig Les' playign the most but who else is doign weird wonderful or cool things with their Bass guitars?  Who else can I learn from or listen to..?

Thanks ahead of time.

• Moderators

Flea...RHCP.

What you have to be careful of is listening to bass playing simply because it is flamboyant. The purpose of the bass in most songs is to hold the groove between the drums and the vocals. There are places to tastefully provide a bit more, but hold the groove. Think about Sign, Sealed, Delivered (Bob Babbitt). Great bassline. Stevei Wonder's Sir Duke (Nathan Watts) Great bassline. The list goes on.

Also, if you want to listen to 12 string bass, try Gonna Raise Hell - Cheap Trick.

Welcome to the bass forum, JB.

• Moderators

Perhaps the ultimate bass player: James Jamerson.

Never ignore Paul McCartney.

Neither is particularly flamboyant, but both are amazing, serve the song, and can do things i still can't after forty years of playing.

Oh, yeah, Donald "Duck" Dunn.

• Members

I'd highly recommend Rocco Prestia with Tower of Power.

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Gary Willis (primarily jazz, Tribal Tech and solo records)

Alex Webster (extreme metal, great tone and chops)

Ryan Martinie (amazing playing and sound on the first few Mudvayne records)

Archived