take yer shots, part II

sh944

• Members

Since jj's original post got a bit too long, I figured I start another one (sorry jj, I know you value "originality" but oh, well...) and post up something I did a little while ago with a friend (John-O, you out there?). Just a basic drum machine track to keep time, and almost zero production, one swing at the vocals.

http://www.coopercup.com/DeSade.mp3

Post yer own, if you've got the balls!

Regards, ...Scott

• Members

Since jj's original post got a bit too long, I figured I start another one (sorry jj, I know you value "originality" but oh, well...) and post up something I did a little while ago with a friend (John-O, you out there?). Just a basic drum machine track to keep time, and almost zero production, one swing at the vocals.

Post yer own, if you've got the balls!

Regards, ...Scott

I like that a lot.

One question - I noticed that no matter who posts stuff like this, the vocals tracks never seem on par with the guitar tracks, quality-wise. Is it significantly tougher to record vocals? This is NOT a shot at you in particular, by the way, 944.

• Members

LOL I've always found that for quality vocals, you need a quality vocalist, which I readily admit I am not! No offense taken. If you said the lyrics sucked, I might take offense, but I know my place in the world, and it ain't on "American Idle" (and yes, I spelled it that way on purpose).

I tried for a couple of "tune bending notes" vocally, which sounds pretty out of tune to me now. Vocals were recorded into a Shure SM-57 in an open room, same with the guitars, so there was a ton of noise present. It was also mixed down without ANY compression or gating, so it was kinda hopeless at the end and we tried to make the noise an effect. lol Work with what ya got, that's what I always say... ;)

Regards, ...Scott

Archived