Cubo 18 Build

• Members

this is no easy build. this box requires skill on a very high level. if you have never built complex boxes before then these boxes are simply out of your league. the fact that they do not really state a driver to buy leaves me with serious doubts

these cabinets are very interesting but perhaps not suitable for pro audio.

again; NOT AN EASY BUILD. if you do not own at least a $1500 table saw and around $4k in other tools then DO NOT try and build these.

• Members

The cubo is a fairly easy build as far as horns go. It is a hybred tapped horn and you will need to high pass them to keep them from unloading and blowing up.

I read that the design is somewhat forgiving of driver selection so I say go for it and get back to us, not much DIY love around here.

(Yes, I know there are many reasons for that.)

• CMS Author

I'd have to first ask why you want to build this particular design instead of a conventional front-loaded design. In addition to the complex cabinet-making, the extra wood for all the baffles adds weight, so even if the box is smaller overall, it's still just as heavy.

I definitely suggest you hear the cabinet in use before building any of them.

• Members

I built some early style EV eliminator cabinets. (Straight from the plans that the factory put out.) Didn't need $4k worth of tools. Got a Sears table saw, some routers and a saber saw. I can see the interest in those cabinets. (Small size means you don't need as big a truck to haul them around.) On the other hand, after building a number of things that you can buy off the shelf, it's usually better to buy the one off the shelf. You really have to want to build it yourself. (Speaker cabinets, a bass guitar. Modified many of the things I own.)

• Members

I'm curious also as to the choice of Cubo. Have you heard them and did you like what you heard?

FWIW B&C (an excellent driver manufacturer) has speaker plans on their site specifically mated to their drivers if you are interested in building your own. I've done a couple of them and have been really happy with the results.

They have an 18 design that's about the same size as the Cubo (slightly taller but slightly less wide) that would be much easier to build.

• Members

Those actually look at lot like a shorter version of some of the TH Danley subs...agree 100% with the comments that if you haven't heard them with your tops or something similar you are going down a dangerous path....unless of course you are just doing it for the experience of doing it, if that's the case have fun and let us know how they turned out

Archived