SPL Ratings for powered vs non powered and JBL stuff again...

• Members

Howdy folks, curious if anyone can explain why this happens with JBL specs off their website...

PRX515 (looking at some used ones with nice price) 

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/Product.aspx?PId=46&MId=6

133 db peak

MRX515 (which I currently own)

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=51

130 db peak

The first reason why SPL is 3db louder because of DSP correct? (they have the same drivers) 

Anyone had any experience with these? How are they on the low side and stand alone is the question I'd like to answer if anyone has any first hand experience. 

The whole coffoffel of why I'm looking into it is this: I have have 4 MRX 518's and 2 515's. I would like to get 2 more 515's and pole mount them to have 4 over 4 on each side as they are reasonable priced used (blems with dents in grill I think I can pop out) and I could just daisy chain off my current amp. 

However, the PRX's would be infinitely awesome for smaller stuff where no subs are required and NO AMP to drag around and they are light. 

Now the PRX615m (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=361) has a  380 mm (15 in) 265F Differential Drive

• Members

nchangin wrote:

The first reason why SPL is 3db louder because of DSP correct? (they have the same drivers) 

Mostly because they are biamp'd and they are publishing the peak SPL of the HF driver, not the overall cab. BTW to get that 130dB calculated they are using an amp power of 1600wrms - not something a typical user is going to get away with for long freak.gif.

• CMS Author

RoadRanger wrote:

nchangin wrote:

Mostly because they are biamp'd and they are publishing the peak SPL of the HF driver, not the overall cab. BTW to get that 130dB calculated they are using an amp power of 1600wrms - not something a typical user is going to get away with for long
freak.gif

Where is JBL stating all of this?

• Members

nchangin wrote:

Howdy folks, curious if anyone can explain why this happens with JBL specs off their website...

PRX515 (looking at some used ones with nice price) 

133 db peak

MRX515 (which I currently own)

130 db peak

Anyone had any experience with these? How are they on the low side and stand alone is the question I'd like to answer if anyone has any first hand experience. 

The whole coffoffel of why I'm looking into it is this: I have have 4 MRX 518's and 2 515's. I would like to get 2 more 515's and pole mount them to have 4 over 4 on each side as they are reasonable priced used (blems with dents in grill I think I can pop out) and I could just daisy chain off my current amp. 

However, the PRX's would be infinitely awesome for smaller stuff where no subs are required and NO AMP to drag around and they are light. 

Now the PRX615m (
has a 
 380 mm (15 in)
265F Differential Drive

• Members

Often, the SPL rating is stated as PEAK SPL, which is numerically 3dB greater than based on the continuous numbers. This needs to be determined by understanding (or obtaining) the basis the rating is made. These are all calculated numbers that do factor in non-linearities and power compression factors.

Generally in practice, the powered versions are well executed versions of the unpowered versioins with user applied processing.

• Members

Well it's official I sold my Peavey TLS's, and the b52, so time to buy, now the hard part. I've come down to the ZLX 12's or 15's. The ELX was second and the main reason why I didn't choose that model was the DSP (zlx has more options) and eventually down the road will get a ELX118 to have lows if need be for small stuff.

I want the 15's cause they are stand alone and will perform better stand alone but of course sure is easier hauling around 12's vs 15's. 

Will I really see that much difference between the 12's and 15's? What would you do? Thanks all! 

• Members

nchangin wrote:

Well it's official I sold my Peavey TLS's, and the b52, so time to buy, now the hard part. I've come down to the ZLX 12's or 15's. The ELX was second and the main reason why I didn't choose that model was the DSP (zlx has more options) and eventually down the road will get a ELX118 to have lows if need be for small stuff.

I want the 15's cause they are stand alone and will perform better stand alone but of course sure is easier hauling around 12's vs 15's. 

Will I really see that much difference between the 12's and 15's? What would you do? Thanks all! 

For me I do way more gigs that require subs then I do gigs that would only require a pair of 15s. For those gigs I just use a single sub with a pair of active 12s. 

• Members

ZLX 12P I just ordered a pair 299.00 each. That's 100 off, as I found they listed them on newegg for for 299.00 so MF price matched it (399.00 on MF). Found a blem return ELX118 ended up @ $600 after a little negotiating (includes a 1 year ext warranty). Thank you to everone for the assistance! Especially mr craig, very cool you directed me to the ELX sub. I wanted something with a little more oomph than my old b52. And it's 40 lbs lighter. Nice. 

Archived